Old 10-20-2019, 12:36 PM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Handy Tool

I bought this back in 1982 and the modern versions of this use a plastic tube rather than the copper on one mine. Every year when I winterize and drain the hot water heater, I use this tube to scour and rinse out the hot water heater. This cleans all the deposits out of the tank and minerals on the water heater element.

I had a Hi-Lo that had a steel tank and used to see a lot of stuff come out when I flushed the tank each year. I kept that trailer for 14 years and never had to replace that tank.

I'm on year 15 with my current Classic and the Atwood heater seems to be a lot cleaner. I tend to use the heater with electric only and turn on the gas at the same time when I use the shower. All in all I think this is an excellent tool to keep that tank clean and running efficiently.

Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0976.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	354588  

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:11 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
I have used the plastic version for years in my hot water tank at the end of every season. You would think that when you remove the HWT drain plug that all the crap would flush out with the water when it drains but it doesn't. Each year I get a fair amount of crud out of the tank using this flush tool. Getting out all the hard minerals and debris left behind will certainly extend the life of your HWT.

thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:00 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
You would think. But I know on my old Suburban water heater in the Hi-Lo which only used gas, I was always surprised at the white flakes that would come out. But I wonder if running on electric if the fact that the element sits in the water makes a difference on the build up. Typically I only turn on the gas in the Classic to boost the recovery time so I doubt that we get more than 10-15 minutes of run time a day. The electric element provides the heating the rest of the time.

But I'm in the process of winterizing and today when I went out to the trailer to put the water heater drain plug back in, I did see tiny white specs on the frame of the heater which was the splash from the water coming out.

Either way it's a good practice to clean it out at least annually.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote