Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2017, 02:38 PM   #21
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Beware! FWIW, I have investigated hail damage to aircraft flying 30 miles from the edge of a thunderstorm. This distance was documented by the aircraft's airborne RADAR photography. The updrafts in the cells have such force this can happen rather easily and does often. It is just not easily observed and documented.
So, be sure and keep this in mind when figuring out how to avoid the severe weather. I travel with my iPad on any time there is weather any where around.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:44 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangin View Post
Hail is common here in the west. Our airstream has been through two marble sized hail storms with no damage.
We don't get any significant hail in the east, but we've had it when traveling. A couple of years ago we were in Idaho (I think) on Rt 84 heading west from Utah. There is a section of the road that has permanent signs warning of severe storms. Sure enough we get hit with a hail storm. We could see it coming and couldn't avoid it so we just pulled off the road and waited it out. I guess it was penny sized hail or maybe a bit bigger. We just sat there and resigned ourselves to what might happen. When it was over I looked the rig over and there was no damage. Perhaps if we had been driving at 30 or 60mph, that would have added enough force that damage would have occurred. If your number's up, it's up. Ours wasn't.

I'm working on a roof airbag system (not really).
Old 06-01-2017, 03:20 PM   #23
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
I wouldn't put a tarp over my airstream -- you get stormy winds moving it around and you will damage your clearcoat and or your roof coating. Pretty hard to secure one well enough to to prevent any movement...t
Actually, we've had good experience with tarping down the Bambino. You do have to tie it down really, really well.

This past November we left our AS in outdoor storage in Moab, UT. We would have preferred indoor storage closer to our family members in Colorado, but it wasn't to be had. Moab is a very dry place so we didn't worry about mold, although it does snow there. Moab also gets real wind storms and sand storms on occasion We have a friend in town who agreed to check the Bambi periodically. We planned to be back in Moab in the spring, so we just tarped down the Bambi and hoped for the best.

Over the winter Moab did get a windstorm so severe that it blew down our friend's shed, which sent pieces flying against her house, causing damage. But Bambi was fine.

Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:22 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2000 28' Excella
Wasaga Beach , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
Hey so there is hail in the forecast tonight, and I'm wondering whether there is anything I can do to prevent damage. I do not have indoor storage for the trailer, but I do have some time before the storms are supposed to roll in. Any suggestions?
Greetings,
If you have indoor storage then don't wait. Put it away. 3 years ago we encounter marble size to golf ball size hail on our first week of six week Alberta Canada tour. 48 thousand dollars (Canadian) damage to AS, 16 thousand to TV and a year of frustration in dealing with AS Insurance carrier. Not to mention the terror of sitting in TV while it was happening.
robertlesica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:11 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Yahoo to Kyet
On my previous trailer and my cars if I am at home I throw packing blankets over them for the duration. If I am out camping I'll save the trailer first and throw my comforter and mattress topper up on the roof. I am fortunate to have not been travelling while towing during a hail storm. I'm sure that will be soon enough.
Kyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:49 AM   #26
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertlesica View Post
Greetings,
If you have indoor storage then don't wait. Put it away. 3 years ago we encounter marble size to golf ball size hail on our first week of six week Alberta Canada tour. 48 thousand dollars (Canadian) damage to AS, 16 thousand to TV and a year of frustration in dealing with AS Insurance carrier. Not to mention the terror of sitting in TV while it was happening.
If you think it's scary being in the TV, try being in the trailer while it's getting pounded to scrap. The Voice of Experience here...
Old 06-02-2017, 05:56 AM   #27
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

As noted here and there in the thread, it's not just the size of the hail that matters. Wind driving the hail is also part of the problem. Anything that will shelter you from wind may help with hail damage.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:54 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
We experienced hail out in the open in New Mexico. Nowhere to hide. Scared the bejeezus out of us and the dog. Numerous dings, but no penetration and no breakage of vents or solar panels. Insurance totaled the trailer; we bought it back and chose not to fix dings since it was not leaking. Over the last 9 years we've traveled many a mile in it and the dings are less noticeable each year.
Do the best you can to protect yourself and your Airstream, but it's not the end of the world.
pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:13 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyet View Post
On my previous trailer and my cars if I am at home I throw packing blankets over them for the duration. If I am out camping I'll save the trailer first and throw my comforter and mattress topper up on the roof. I am fortunate to have not been travelling while towing during a hail storm. I'm sure that will be soon enough.
We don't typically get a lot of hail, but we got a scary forecast recently, and this is what we did — covered as much of the trailer as we could with packing blankets and other soft stuff.

Hail passed us by (but hit a mile away), so ... whew! But we felt pretty good about what we did to protect the Bambi.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:55 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I was at the local Mercedes dealer 3 days ago, and noticed that they had an inflated garage over one of their Sprinters in the body work area. Hmm...
The army now uses a tent system that has inflated ribs and fits together into a nylon quonset hut with as many sections as needed simply being zipped together. The inside can even be air conditioned. Guess that neither would be cost effective.

Anything that you can inflate on the roof and then tarp over should be a good solution. Pool toys, air mattresses? A retired Seal saved my Airstream with two small "fast boats" he uses for fishing and crabbing ... he was still hitched and backed his under a picnic shelter ... came within an inch of smacking the a/c cover against the eaves and had about 3 inches of clearance between the posts.

Paula
Old 06-03-2017, 06:06 AM   #31
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I wonder if anybody has real data on how many AS get totaled for hail in a year? It's certainly an obscure statistic. The insurance industry *lives* on numbers like that so it might be out there ...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote