Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2005, 02:58 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Detroit , Michigan
H2O heater, H2O pump, and winterizing

I winterized the trailer today. First, I drained the fresh water tank. After draining the hot water heater and before reinstalling the drain plug, I turned on the water pump and watched an additional 1/2 gallon of water drain from the water heater. I expected some flow but not quite that much.

Running the pump before reinstalling the water heater drain plug will be now be a permanent change to my winterizing checklist.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:25 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Yea, I ran my water pump with the kitchen faucet open to make sure the fresh water tank was dry (I previously had drained the tank so it was surprising to see the amount of water still in the tank). I blow out the lines prior activating the water heater bypass. That expells additional water in the line through the open water heater drain. Then I activate the bypass and continue to blow out the line. That blows a little more out. Finally after blowing out the lines, opening every faucet, toilet, sprayers on the toilet and sink, I open the low water petcocks and close up the faucets. Once that stops its anti-freeze time.

And for the umteeth time I forget to close the petcocks and after a half of bottle of pumped anti-freeze I realize its pouring out the low water drains.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote