Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2019, 06:06 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
COLUMBIA , Missouri
Getting ready to take AS in for dewinterization...

...I'm planning on doing the winterization and dewinterization myself by next fall, but after reading John HD's detailed post on winterization, I'm know of at least 1 question I will need to ask RV service center where it was winterized and that is...How did they get anti freeze in pipes...? Directly into water pump like John HD prescribed or into FW tank and then turning on pump, which I am hoping is not the case. Anything else I should ask?

(This forum has been awesome, and I appreciate everyone who has contributed to it.)
Opn Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
You’d definitely have to ask the dealer but I had it done at a dealer before installing my own pump kit and they drew it in from the pump - not the FW tank.

I’m no mechanical genius and find that I can winterize and dewinterize with ease. Trust me - if I can - you can!! [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I would also ask the shop for advice on winterizing without antifreeze, as many other AS owners have done on their own for decades:

https://www.google.com/search?q=wint...com&gws_rd=ssl

When you pick up the trailer from the shop, I would ask that they have the water tank filled [or city water hooked up], so you can test the pump and every single faucet [H+C], outdoor shower, and so forth. Take the time to wait and see if any drips develop.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:22 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Logansport , Indiana
Opn Rd, When I winterized ours, I made up an airline to hook to my air compressor like those blow out valves you can buy (everywhere I looked everyone was sold out). I then turned the pressure regulator down to about 40 PSI and hooked my "blow out valve" to my compressor and opened all the faucets inside the trailer. I even left the drain on the WH open so it would blow any excess water from it. I let it blow air until I didn't see anymore water droplets or mist from anywhere that was open. I also opened the drain valve on the FW tank and drained it. Poured rv antifreeze down all the drains and in the toilet. Oh yeah, while the air is on I pushed the flusher on the toilet to clear the toilet water lines too along with the handheld sprayer for the toilet. Also while the air supply was attached to the city hook up I turned the water pump on to clear water out those lines too.
SlvrTwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Renville , Minnesota
Took our Flying Cloud out of storage, and found that moth balls and Cab Fresh did nothing to keep mice out. This summer, I will have to do a recon on the bottom side to make an effort to plug any potential mouse doors.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:44 PM   #6
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Getting ready to take AS in for dewinterization...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opn Rd View Post
...I'm planning on doing the winterization and dewinterization myself by next fall, but after reading John HD's detailed post on winterization, I'm know of at least 1 question I will need to ask RV service center where it was winterized and that is...How did they get anti freeze in pipes...? Directly into water pump like John HD prescribed or into FW tank and then turning on pump, which I am hoping is not the case. Anything else I should ask?

(This forum has been awesome, and I appreciate everyone who has contributed to it.)

Highly, highly doubt they put anti freeze in the fresh water tank. That would be a total waste of antifreeze and $$. And then flushing it out would be a total PITA.

Similar to putting anti freeze into the hot water tank heater - those are left empty so you don’t waste 6 gallons of the pink stuff.

To check the fresh water tank, simply open the white plastic valve to drain the tank and see if pink comes out. Valve is likely between your wheels located on the tank pan.

De-winterization is really nothing more than closing off low point drain valves (if left open), filling up with fresh water tank and using your pump to flush the system by opening one sink / shower valve at a time. Once no more pink frothy stuff comes out of the sinks, shower and toilet open the valve for your hot water heater so it fills up with fresh water and you are done.

You can do it!! Once you get the hang of it you’ll be like, ‘that was easy’!
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
You may want to remember to sanitize the FW tank with bleach on the first fill, then run through all lines, refill with fresh water again and again run faucets until bleach smell is gone.

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote