Old 11-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #295
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
I did not go through this whole thread.
I have a quick question on the water filter under the sink.
Do I run the pink stuff through it?
I already did, so I guess, I'm just asking how bad I messed it up.
It had a red light blinking on it already, so I thought maybe it was time to change it out.
I replace my filter every spring. There is a risk that the active carbon block will be colonized by bacteria during long periods of non-use, so I consider it a safety item to replace it. Besides, the filters do clog and lose their efficacy over time so it's best to replace them periodically.

Quote:
Will the pink/orange stuff still be effective, once it's been through the filter?
Yes.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #296
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I believe AS recommends one filter for Winterizing and one for use.

What I do for our faucet filter.

Bob

Bob, I did the same last year (saved the old filter for this year).

Problem was, apparently I needed to keep the old filter in a plastic bag, because when I tried last week to use it, I couldn't get anti freeze through it. Apparently, the stuff in the filter had dried up.

So, I now have another "winterizing filter" for next year, and I know the anti freeze went through it. By the way, the filter, for some reason, removes the pink coloring.

http://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #297
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I take the filter out. Once removed, the water line bypasses where the filter was and antifeeeze flows to the faucet. The first time I did this I had to watch if pink stuff would blast out under the sink, but it didn't. I empty the water out of the filter and take it inside for the winter and use it again the following year. I think the filter outlasts the battery for the red light and I haven't seen the red light for much too long. Next season will be time to use a new one.

They are much cheaper online than at an RV store. I think I got a replacement from Amazon.

Gene
Old 11-13-2012, 06:25 AM   #298
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Thanks guys.. I'll look on line for a new filter.
After reading some more, I still need to get the city water connector purged, or blown out. I think I have everything else covered.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #299

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
My 1st filter actually pulled out the dye...I musta pumped a gallon of newly decolored antifreeze liquid down the sink before I figured that out.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #300
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
OK...I drained my lines, blew out the lines with my air compressor. I left my water filter in place when I did this and based on the leak I had today, I believe I blew apart the filter. TRUE CONFESSION! I accidentally pumped too much pressure through the line for about 3 seconds! Like about 90 PSI. I had the faucets and low level drains open so I HOPE all else is OK. NOW…I am trying to find the replacement filter for this thing! It is a Moen Choiceflo 9500. This thing is nowhere to be found in the Greater Sacramento area. Has anyone else had an issue with replacements? Called Moen. WORTHLESS! I needed one today since we are going out tomorrow. Has anyone changed out the filtration system with something better?

Thanks AS Brethren!
Old 01-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #301
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

Wally-World???

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #302
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronman View Post
I needed one today since we are going out tomorrow. Has anyone changed out the filtration system with something better?

Thanks AS Brethren!
You are probably gone by now, but in ours I believe the filter is only for the small faucet that provides filtered water, so you don't have a big problem. I think when the filter is removed, a valve closes and water cannot leak out when you turn on the small faucet to the right of the regular kitchen faucet.

Gene
Old 01-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #303
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
East Tawas , Michigan
Found out the hard way,don't leave wine in the AS when Michigan winter temps drop below zero. If it wasn't for the broken glass I could have had a wine- sicle.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #304
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
Gene,
Thanks for this. I just capped off the supply for the trip last weekend. Yes, the filtered water is only for the small tap. Having something that shuts off the suppply when the filter is removed makes sense.I will try it in a couple of weeks and report back.

Thanks again!

Ron
Old 02-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #305
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
A Wine-sicle, now that's an idea for a hot summer day. Hmmmmmm need to think on that one.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #306
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Okay, I am sooo confused...

We live in Tulsa, OK and there is some really cold weather coming next week. We had planned on having a service come out to do the first winterization, but after reading my "Newbies Guide to Airstreaming" we decided to just do ourselfs...

Now after getting knee deep both here and on the internet on the how to's, I think I might have made a mistake. My questions are:

-do we really need to blow out the lines if we are just going to fill them with antifreeze?
- do I need to put antifreeze in the holding tanks or just drain them?

A little background.. This is our first winter with the AS and I am planning on using it in two weeks for some winter camping, so we will be doing this more than once this year. Our winters are usually fairly mild and does freeze for sustained periods. We have it stored in an enclosed metal building, which it probably will dip down below freezing inside.

Thank you so much..

Vickie
Old 11-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #307
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickandvicki View Post
- do I need to put antifreeze in the holding tanks or just drain them?
Unless you have a reliable method for draining the holding tanks completely, leaving them bone dry, I'd say best to add antifreeze.

Besides, antifreeze in the holding tanks helps keep the valve seals moist, so you don't come back to leaking seals on your holding tank drain valves come spring.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #308
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Unless you have a reliable method for draining the holding tanks completely, leaving them bone dry, I'd say best to add antifreeze. Besides, antifreeze in the holding tanks helps keep the valve seals moist, so you don't come back to leaking seals on your holding tank drain valves come spring.
Thank you P... So just like a gallon in each tank? Also, we are going to Lowe's and pick up an inexpensive air compressor.. I think we can do this!

Tags
winterizing