Old 11-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #253
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbrian View Post
Yikes! I've filtered things all my life in my yob. Never had I encountered a filter like the one on the 2010 AS Moen sippy side faucet. lol, I must have missed somewhere...yeah broke the li'l tabs off the filter holder but still mounts just fine...
I drained the filter and putting it back in I bwoke said..lol, waa.
But nowhere did I see anywhere that the filter is so tight that it can filter the pink out of RV antifreeze. Holy cow mon. Pink going in after dint' couldn't blow lines, clear liquid came out the filtered sippy port..forever, never turning to pink. If ever a need for a bypass that would be it.
It felt slippery/slimey like antifreeze, so quit in as agast. The filter was emptied, pink going in so extra 3/4 gallon must have been filtered good stuff...just sayin'.
Now ima just flippin' a coin of to lock or not to lock. They'll get in ifn they want. Looks like a pricey door it does. ava great 'oliday mates.
Mine has a shut off for the filter and filtered water faucet. I blow it out, remove the filter, shut the line off and then pump pink in, "bypassing" the "sippy" faucet and filter housing.

I have Delta hardware throughout.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:20 AM   #254
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The undersink filter has a bypass built in to the filter holder. Remove it and water should not come out into the undersink area.

Gene

Old 11-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #255
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbrian View Post
Yikes! I've filtered things all my life in my yob. Never had I encountered a filter like the one on the 2010 AS Moen sippy side faucet. lol, I must have missed somewhere...yeah broke the li'l tabs off the filter holder but still mounts just fine...
I drained the filter and putting it back in I bwoke said..lol, waa.
But nowhere did I see anywhere that the filter is so tight that it can filter the pink out of RV antifreeze. Holy cow mon. Pink going in after dint' couldn't blow lines, clear liquid came out the filtered sippy port..forever, never turning to pink. If ever a need for a bypass that would be it.
It felt slippery/slimey like antifreeze, so quit in as agast. The filter was emptied, pink going in so extra 3/4 gallon must have been filtered good stuff...just sayin'.
Now ima just flippin' a coin of to lock or not to lock. They'll get in ifn they want. Looks like a pricey door it does. ava great 'oliday mates.
The folks at JC say the filter will remove the red in the anti-freeze. It did in mine, but the product was there Ė I tasted it. ;-)

And while I don't know about an automatic shut off when the filter is removed, the book basically says the opposite. And that's what I did. Of course, it renders that filter useless, but the AS manual instructs the user to save the filter for the next winterizing.

http://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:32 AM   #256
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I take the filter out, try to get all the water out (hard to tell if I do), take it inside for the winter so any water left in doesn't freeze.

Gene
Old 11-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #257
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I take the filter out, try to get all the water out (hard to tell if I do), take it inside for the winter so any water left in doesn't freeze.

Gene
Don't know what kind of fixtures you have in yours Gene, but the 2011 I have has Moen. I've talked with them and JC, and neither mentioned the bypass scheme (and believe me, I don't like burning a half used filter).

And here's what the manual says.

2011 23 FC FB
Old 11-11-2011, 11:58 AM   #258
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Murray, I have a Moen too. What I know is that it works the way I described. I can't read the excerpt from the Manual even expanded and don't feel like going to the trailer to look at mine.

Gene
Old 11-11-2011, 12:49 PM   #259
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

Gene
Me too.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 11-11-2011, 12:52 PM   #260
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by murreywalker View Post
Don't know what kind of fixtures you have in yours Gene, but the 2011 I have has Moen. I've talked with them and JC, and neither mentioned the bypass scheme (and believe me, I don't like burning a half used filter).

And here's what the manual says.

If yours doesn't have one from the factory, install a shut off valve in the supply hose from the house plumbing to the filter housing. Mine looks like a residential toilet or icemaker shutoff.
Blow the line out with air and turn the valve off prior to adding pink stuff. Remove the filter, leave the housing off and leave the drinking water faucet open.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #261
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
If yours doesn't have one from the factory, install a shut off valve in the supply hose from the house plumbing to the filter housing. Mine looks like a residential toilet or icemaker shutoff.
Blow the line out with air and turn the valve off prior to adding pink stuff. Remove the filter, leave the housing off and leave the drinking water faucet open.
Unless you want to buy a half used Moen water filter (perfect for winterizing the sippy water) from me, I'll probably let the next guy (that buys my trailer) install the shut off valve. ;-)

2011 23 FC FB
Old 11-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #262
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
A lot of unhappy folks about JC not listening RE placement of water pump. Maybe they HAVE listened! Just winterized my 2012 28' Int'l CCD. It took 5 minutes to put in a bypass at the water pump to run some antifreeze into the lines. Panel under fridge pulls off, there's the pump. Lots of room all around it. Input and output water lines are high pressure nylon hoses. Unscrew -- finger tight -- at water filter -- insert the kit, and all done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0007.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	145675   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	145676  

Old 11-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #263
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bab, is the filter at the front or the back. On mine it was in the back and just about impossible to reach. I got them to turn it around at no cost to me. I put rubber washers under it at the 4 screws and it made it a little quieter (or less noisy).

Gene
Old 11-20-2011, 08:19 PM   #264
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
I put a bypass on my galley sink for the filter this afternoon. and in the process discovered what the little faucet handle was for on my Moen... who would have thought the filter would have its own dedicated line for filtered water... now if i could just figure out how to tighten down the Moen fixture.... for the life of me I can't figure out just exactly what it is that is keeping it in place albeit loosely. And no I don't have a picture b ecause I took the AS back to storage before i thought to take a picture. It's a Moen with spaghetti filler type neck and single lever handle for hot/cold mix plus the filtered water handle and a sprayer
Old 11-21-2011, 07:15 AM   #265
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
Red face Note to Self

Yesterday I moved the camper to storage - before that, I removed the batteries and killed all the switches and breakers.........THEN I tried to put it on the truck - NOT! I had to replace the batteries and turn on the switches and breakers because the tongue jack would not work. After storing it in my mother's barn, I re-removed the batteries and re-turned off all the breakers and switches.

Now, the trailer is all snug and dry - stored in a nice barn where it won't leak anymore and waiting for me to drop the belly, assess the damage and replace rotten flooring.....I can do the work next door (mom's) whenever I want - no heat there so I'm not sure when that will be.

Have a safe winter everyone!

The Silver Pearl & The Black Pearl

2008 25' Safari FB SE Queen converted to King
2014 Ford Expedition EXP Limited 4x4 V-8
McKesh towing mirrors
Centramatic Balancers
Hensley Swift-Arrow Hitch
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #266
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
The filter is just ahead of the brass valve I inserted. (It was easy to install the bypass in FRONT of the filter rather than behind it.) The filter has a clear plastic dome on it, and you can see the screen on the inside, so if it gets fouled, it'll be readily apparent.

Tags
winterizing