Old 11-02-2011, 03:21 PM   #239
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
The Dreaded three Ws

I Washed, Waxed, and Winterized these past two days.
Will someone please get me a beer, I can't get up.

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 11-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #240
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Sky, you should have gotten one of those thingies that calls someone to send an ambulance, but I doubt they'd bring you a beer. They might have some nice drugs though.

John, since you won't use it much (you might change your mind—they are good for adding air to tires too, an air rachet is nice too, and blowing bugs off radiators is a nice touch), you can get one of the lower priced ones. I figure the most expensive is never worth the premium price and the very cheapest ones are usually a mistake.

When you decide on a compressor, see what comes with it. Some offer packages with an air rachet wrench, quick release connections and a hose. If they don't come with a hose, avoid the red plastic ones because they get hard to use in the cold, look for a rubber one. Quick release connections come in two common sizes and if they are not supplied, make sure you get the right size for the compressor. Look to see if there is a part to fill tires and one that blows air—not only good for cleaning the radiator, but also good for blowing sawdust and other crap off your shoes and pants.

I have a Porter Cable pancake, but the ones with the round air tank work too, but may be a little heavier. I'd avoid 1 gal. ones because the tank is too small for much of anything. Probably 2 to 3 gal. is a better size. If you want to go really big, 15 gal. ones will do a lot, but even that size runs all the time when I'm blowing out the trailer water lines. I see there are some reconditioned Porter Cable pancake compressors for around $120 on Amazon. That's a good price for that. I got mine before Porter Cable was bought by Black and Decker, so I don't know if they have cheapened the brand. You'll end up at a big box store looking for parts, so go and look at what they have—there may be packages or sales when you get there.

Next, a part for directly connecting the hose to the city water connection. Camping World sells any adapter to screw into the city water. It has about 6" of hose and still needs a quick release connector. It was about $6 or $7. You could make one out of various parts, but buying this was a lot easier.

I use antifreeze. Blowing out the lines will get most out, but I worry about a low spot that retains or collects water afterward. Thus, I fill the lines with antifreeze, the P traps, put a couple of cups in each tank and some on top of the toilet seal to keep seals lubricated. I don't know how cold it gets in Berlin, Md., but it goes to -15˚ here and can go lower. I may be over cautious, but frozen pipes are a very expensive problem.

Gene

Old 11-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #241
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Gene

I greatly appreciate the reply. Regarding the temp. It can get cold but seldom below the twenties however teens are not unusual.

Again thanks for the advice

John
Old 11-02-2011, 06:46 PM   #242
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Gene, I like your avatar, can you please post a higher resolution picture.

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 11-02-2011, 07:15 PM   #243
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Camco 36143 runs about $7 is one piece, made of brass. Looks like a good addition for the tool box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2918583213.png
Views:	63
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	144444  
Old 11-03-2011, 06:25 AM   #244
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeDoodle View Post
Camco 36143 runs about $7 is one piece, made of brass. Looks like a good addition for the tool box.
Be very careful screwing it into the plastic cap.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #245
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I am looking to buy an air compressor primarily to blow the lines, however I have never seen so many reviews all over the board. I was thinking of porter cable 6 gallons however the latest reviews are mediocre at best although the price is not bad. Lowes has it at 159 with kit. Any other suggestions.

Thanks

John
Old 11-03-2011, 04:10 PM   #246
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Fine Homebuilding does reviews of compressors sometimes, but I don't know if you can see them on their website without paying. You can get the index, however, and then go to the library and look up the reviews. The latest reviews showing Porter Cable to be mediocre may indicate a cheapening of the product. Too bad because Porter Cable has previously had a very good reputation and I have had no problems with their tools purchased before the company was sold.

Gene
Old 11-04-2011, 06:38 AM   #247
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
After reviewing fine homebuilding list and all other reviews it looks like Porter cable will be the best buy
Old 11-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #248
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
After reviewing fine homebuilding list and all other reviews it looks like Porter cable will be the best buy
John, hope it works for you. Pretty soon you will filling all the neighbors' tires.

Gene
Old 11-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #249
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Gene

I bought the Porter with attachments. It was 159 at Lowes and with my military discount it cost about 145.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #250

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I just blew out the lines and put antifreeze in them. I discovered that when I installed PEX this spring and removed the city water inlet (because we have never used it in the 8 years we've had the trailer), I completely forgot that that is also my blow-out point. So I had to put it back in. Hopefully I won't have any frozen lines this winter.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:07 AM   #251
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
I just blew out the lines and put antifreeze in them. I discovered that when I installed PEX this spring and removed the city water inlet (because we have never used it in the 8 years we've had the trailer), I completely forgot that that is also my blow-out point. So I had to put it back in. Hopefully I won't have any frozen lines this winter.
Not alone Stef....I just found out this Spring while fixing leaks, that there's a low water line drain in the streetside rear storage compartment.

Seven years...lucky??

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:41 PM   #252
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Island Lake , Illinois
Yikes! I've filtered things all my life in my yob. Never had I encountered a filter like the one on the 2010 AS Moen sippy side faucet. lol, I must have missed somewhere...yeah broke the li'l tabs off the filter holder but still mounts just fine...
I drained the filter and putting it back in I bwoke said..lol, waa.
But nowhere did I see anywhere that the filter is so tight that it can filter the pink out of RV antifreeze. Holy cow mon. Pink going in after dint' couldn't blow lines, clear liquid came out the filtered sippy port..forever, never turning to pink. If ever a need for a bypass that would be it.
It felt slippery/slimey like antifreeze, so quit in as agast. The filter was emptied, pink going in so extra 3/4 gallon must have been filtered good stuff...just sayin'.
Now ima just flippin' a coin of to lock or not to lock. They'll get in ifn they want. Looks like a pricey door it does. ava great 'oliday mates.

Tags
winterizing