Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #281
3 Rivet Member

I'll need to remove the twin bed support decking to really see what is going on. There is only a small hole just big enough for your hand to fit through. The dealer told me to reach in and turn the valve. I have tried to look in there but it is a real mess of things. You have to move other pipes/wiring out of the way just to turn the valve. Would it have cost that much more to have made a proper door for access??? I know more gripes but good grief.
mtntime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #282
3 Rivet Member

Got by the trailer today and there is nothing in the literature about the converter. I looked in the front hole under the curbside twin. There is a black assembly that has a label IPS Class 7 Inverter/Battery Fuse, the battery relay, and a 600W "upgraded" WF-600T series Pure Sine Inverter. Where is the converter on this rig? I assumed in would be in there with the rest of the gear. I am now thinking somewhere under the dinette seat maybe? I hope to be back in the next few days to fit all the new dinette and couch cushions. I’ll look again.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #283
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
On a 25', I believe it it located under the front bed, behind a black metal panel.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #284
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It is located under the queen bed facing the corridor to the main cabin in a 25' FB, but in a twin, good question. It has a black cover with louvers in it and that must be visible somewhere. Given the battery cables go to it, it would have to be under one twin or the other in a logical world.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #285
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
On an '06 FB it is under the right bed at the foot looking towards the hitch.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #286
3 Rivet Member

Under the foot of the curb side twin. Boy what a dummy? It did not dawn on me that it was integral to the power distribution panel. It is a Parallax 7300 Series, but I did not get the exact model number. The MFG web site states that some models are two stage. I'll be over again tomorrow and get the exact model. I am not sure this is something I am going to bother replacing. I might be inclined to just buy a good quality charger to use on the isolated batteries in storage.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #287
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collimare View Post
I'll need to remove the twin bed support decking to really see what is going on. There is only a small hole just big enough for your hand to fit through. The dealer told me to reach in and turn the valve. I have tried to look in there but it is a real mess of things.
Collimare, the valves are usually very near the HW heater. Just in front of it? And there should be more than one valve. The usual is three -- and the settings follow. Straightforward - crossways as start winterizing (remember to drain the HW heater), turn inline for spring/summer/fall use. Each valve only turns 90°.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water heater bypass valves.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	153551

Can you find something like that by feel?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #288
3 Rivet Member

Hi Bob,

Thank you very much for the very nice response and help! I am going to need to take the screw gun over tomorrow and just take the bed deck off so I can see. During the very brief walk through I was told one valve and that is all I can feel and see. I really don't see how you could reach anything else with that stupid small hole but the one directly below it. I may just cut a larger hole in and cover it with a piece of tin for now. The new twin beds from Verlo are three weeks out (I just can't wait!) and I will make all new wider decking anyway. I also need to start making plans on how best to insulate the whole bed areas.

Is there an easier way to post pictures than posting them somewhere, opening it, coping the link and then pasting it in? I can't just up load to this response. I would like to put more pictures in but it seems to be a real pain.

Thanks again, Howard
Old 03-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #289
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Howard. Resize them to maybe 900 x 1200 pixels first. Then look at the first of the sections here.

Okay, something tickles that some newer models have one valve. You may just be able to put a compact digicam on close-up and flash. Aim it in there at angles you can't otherwise see. I've even taken photos inside closed compartments on timer -- wanting to see how misaligned latches line up. More for my edification than posting on the forum. Whatever works...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:07 PM   #290
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
... Okay, something tickles that some newer models have one valve. ...
There was another thread that discussed this recently. We are mostly familiar with the three valve setup previously described. Apparently Airstream has recently started installing a single valve assy that provides the bypass function. I've not yet seen one for myself so I'm at a loss to explain how it works. In that thread it was determined access to that valve was through a small hole under the bed. There was another valve in that particular trailer that was visible beside the water heater and accessible from an outside compartment. It was a low point drain for the line feeding the water heater.

http://www.wikihow.com/Bypass-the-Wa...ter-of-Your-RV
Old 03-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #291
3 Rivet Member

I just got back from the trailer and there is only one valve. Please see pictures below. The valve blocks the cold water feed at the bottom of the tank and there is T where the cold water feed connects to an assembly at the hot water output. This must be some type of automatic bypass valve. The cold water feed also connects back to the drain valve in the adjacent storage compartment.

Bad news is the RV500 will not fit and I will need to wait for the new Atwood Tankless model which seems to be delayed till at least May.

Good news is that when the new mattresses arrive I can move the under storage assembly out an additional 6” to 7”. Now do I extend the cabin storage boxes or just use the extra outside storage? I am leaning toward extending the back of the cabin storage areas.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	153602   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	153603  

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	153604   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	153605  

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	153606  
Old 10-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #292
1 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
lansing , West Virginia
thanks, winterizing stinks
profishwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #293
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I did not go through this whole thread.
I have a quick question on the water filter under the sink.
Do I run the pink stuff through it?
I already did, so I guess, I'm just asking how bad I messed it up.
It had a red light blinking on it already, so I thought maybe it was time to change it out.
Will the pink/orange stuff still be effective, once it's been through the filter?

FYI, I have a one valve bypass on the hot water heater.
I set it on "winterized" and it completely bypasses the hot water heater with the pink stuff. I pulled the drain plug in the hot water heater, after I'd run the pink stuff everywhere, and the hot water heater was still bone dry.

Thanks
Jeff
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #294
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I believe AS recommends one filter for Winterizing and one for use.

What I do for our faucet filter.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #295
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
I did not go through this whole thread.
I have a quick question on the water filter under the sink.
Do I run the pink stuff through it?
I already did, so I guess, I'm just asking how bad I messed it up.
It had a red light blinking on it already, so I thought maybe it was time to change it out.
I replace my filter every spring. There is a risk that the active carbon block will be colonized by bacteria during long periods of non-use, so I consider it a safety item to replace it. Besides, the filters do clog and lose their efficacy over time so it's best to replace them periodically.

Quote:
Will the pink/orange stuff still be effective, once it's been through the filter?
Yes.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #296
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I believe AS recommends one filter for Winterizing and one for use.

What I do for our faucet filter.

Bob

Bob, I did the same last year (saved the old filter for this year).

Problem was, apparently I needed to keep the old filter in a plastic bag, because when I tried last week to use it, I couldn't get anti freeze through it. Apparently, the stuff in the filter had dried up.

So, I now have another "winterizing filter" for next year, and I know the anti freeze went through it. By the way, the filter, for some reason, removes the pink coloring.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #297
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I take the filter out. Once removed, the water line bypasses where the filter was and antifeeeze flows to the faucet. The first time I did this I had to watch if pink stuff would blast out under the sink, but it didn't. I empty the water out of the filter and take it inside for the winter and use it again the following year. I think the filter outlasts the battery for the red light and I haven't seen the red light for much too long. Next season will be time to use a new one.

They are much cheaper online than at an RV store. I think I got a replacement from Amazon.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:25 AM   #298
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Thanks guys.. I'll look on line for a new filter.
After reading some more, I still need to get the city water connector purged, or blown out. I think I have everything else covered.
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #299
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
My 1st filter actually pulled out the dye...I musta pumped a gallon of newly decolored antifreeze liquid down the sink before I figured that out.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #300
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
OK...I drained my lines, blew out the lines with my air compressor. I left my water filter in place when I did this and based on the leak I had today, I believe I blew apart the filter. TRUE CONFESSION! I accidentally pumped too much pressure through the line for about 3 seconds! Like about 90 PSI. I had the faucets and low level drains open so I HOPE all else is OK. NOW…I am trying to find the replacement filter for this thing! It is a Moen Choiceflo 9500. This thing is nowhere to be found in the Greater Sacramento area. Has anyone else had an issue with replacements? Called Moen. WORTHLESS! I needed one today since we are going out tomorrow. Has anyone changed out the filtration system with something better?

Thanks AS Brethren!
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winterizing