Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2007, 04:26 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Ossining , New York
Garage Storage Dimensions for Trailer

Can anyone give me suggested sizes for building a garage to store a trailer?
What is your garage door size, ceiling height, width, etc.?
1956Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Use a nominal 10' x 10' door. My 7' 9+" Argosy actually was put thru an 8' wide garage door but you never want to do that ... let me tell you! 10' wide works fine with my widebody (8' 6") Safari. The air conditioners up on top give you a total height of not quite 9.5'. A steep driveway approach could require the full 10' height! We've seen photos by some members who have built mighty nice Airstream bedrooms here on the forums... Anybody know the links?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Is this storage intended to be used only for the trailer or do you also wish to do some work in there, on the trailer perhaps, or use it also for other storage?

My shop is 30 x 40, 12' ceilings, and my shop door opens a full 10'. My Flying Cloud does not have roof air and I'm 7'11" so in my case lots of clearance.

I have it parked down one side and that allows me to have my 70 Chevelle on the hoist and my 57 Safari wagon in front of it. If needed I could lift the Chevelle and leave it up, using the space underneath it for another vehicle.

With this room I'm able to work on both cars, work on the trailer, and I have engines, transmissions, parts, workbenchs shelving units, and other stuff down the sides and across the back. For me it works fine - but just like trailers, I wouldn't mind if it was a tad bigger so later this summer I'm putting a 12' x 30' lean-to down the back side that will also be 12' high.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
Is this storage intended to be used only for the trailer or do you also wish to do some work in there, on the trailer perhaps, or use it also for other storage?

My shop is 30 x 40, 12' ceilings, and my shop door opens a full 10'. My Flying Cloud does not have roof air and I'm 7'11" so in my case lots of clearance.

I have it parked down one side and that allows me to have my 70 Chevelle on the hoist and my 57 Safari wagon in front of it. If needed I could lift the Chevelle and leave it up, using the space underneath it for another vehicle.

With this room I'm able to work on both cars, work on the trailer, and I have engines, transmissions, parts, workbenchs shelving units, and other stuff down the sides and across the back. For me it works fine - but just like trailers, I wouldn't mind if it was a tad bigger so later this summer I'm putting a 12' x 30' lean-to down the back side that will also be 12' high.

Barry
Sounds great! Can I move in??
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
After posting this today I was thinking I really should make that lean-to 12 x 40 so's I can put my riding mower and other stuff in the back as well.

Can you move in? Well, we'd have to move some engines and tranny's out of the way. And perhaps a car or two.......

B
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote