Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2006, 05:02 PM   #1

2007 25' Safari FB SE
piney flats , Tennessee
Unhappy Garage Mishap

I recently backed my new 07 Safari 27 FB into a 6x6 post in my garage. I dented the rear bumper enough to jam it into the rear storage box. This apparently pushed the storage box back enough so that now I cant get the two taps to pull up and open. Does anybody have any ideas.
KIWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:32 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWI
I recently backed my new 07 Safari 27 FB into a 6x6 post in my garage. I dented the rear bumper enough to jam it into the rear storage box. This apparently pushed the storage box back enough so that now I cant get the two taps to pull up and open.
Do you have a digital camera?
If you can post a picture here, someone may have a couple of ideas.
Oh, and welcome to the forums.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:54 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
What a bummer, but it's better that denting the aluminum skin.

The rear bumper storage compartment has a single piano hinge along its entire length. Try taking a hammer and punch and tap the hinge pin out to one side if its not too bent. Get a pair of Vice Grips locked on the hinge and pull it out. If you can get the pin out, you should be able to access the storage area.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:58 PM   #4

2007 25' Safari FB SE
piney flats , Tennessee
Thanks Terry, SuEllyn and Brian! Thanks for the nice welcome. This is our first camper and first Airstream. We've had it out only one night and loved it. Anyway, I think we are on our way to fixing the damaged bumper and storage box. I managed to get the tabs opened with a screw driver and then took off the bumper. I am going to see if my local body shop can straighten the bumper. The piano-hinge was not damaged and the bumper barely bent. Thanks again. I'll let you know how it works out.

John & Patsy
KIWI is offline   Reply With Quote