Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2015, 03:58 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Garage/Barn Photos

Hi Everyone,

I've searched and cruised all the Air Forum threads, as well as other websites/forums, I could find showing and speaking about garages/barns in which to store an Airstream. Many of the threads were from a while back.

I am prepping for a meeting with our builder regarding a structure to cover our Airstream and tow vehicle.

I am able to build custom on our country property and want to have a structure that goes nicely with our house so will not be going a pre-fab route.

Want to post your photo for us all?! Want to give me advice?

Thanks, Everyone!
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Do a search on "Pole Barn" here in the Forums.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I built conv. garage type building w/ 2/6 walls gable roof concrete footings and floors fiber glass ins. in walls cellulose in ceiling that you can do as home depot loans blower if pur. ins. from them. blow at least 12 to 14 in. in ceiling. I used trusses for roof w/same shingles as house same w/ siding. Have furnace hung from ceiling, dry walled inside does not have to be finished. Build 14 ft or 16 walls w/12 or 14 high doors plus 11ft or 12 wide as I did mine 10 wide little tight backing AS in for winter. Small furn. keeps what ever temp. set at, do not have to winterize AS. Build large enough to keep other equip. in as never to large. Pole buildings are okay but I like mine better and blends in w/house, plus easier to insulate and dry wall. I built it my self fraction of cost of pole building
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Also check a thread called ideal storage garage.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:16 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Thanks Melody Ranch and Hittenstiehl. I've seen those posts and they were great!
Old 01-21-2015, 06:21 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
I built conv. garage type building w/ 2/6 walls gable roof concrete footings and floors fiber glass ins. in walls cellulose in ceiling that you can do as home depot loans blower if pur. ins. from them. blow at least 12 to 14 in. in ceiling. I used trusses for roof w/same shingles as house same w/ siding. Have furnace hung from ceiling, dry walled inside does not have to be finished. Build 14 ft or 16 walls w/12 or 14 high doors plus 11ft or 12 wide as I did mine 10 wide little tight backing AS in for winter. Small furn. keeps what ever temp. set at, do not have to winterize AS. Build large enough to keep other equip. in as never to large. Pole buildings are okay but I like mine better and blends in w/house, plus easier to insulate and dry wall. I built it my self fraction of cost of pole building
Awesome description! Thank you for all of the tips. Do you have any photos to share, by chance?
Thanks again!
Old 01-22-2015, 06:40 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Bartlett , Illinois
As long as you are building ,I would suggest you look into radiant heat. I use it in my wood shop. It hangs over head and runs the length of the building. Draws air for combustion from outside, which reduces the risk of explosion if you use chemicals or sawdust in my case. Because it heats up everything in the space, like the floor, equipment etc. it recovers faster then forced air when you have to open doors.
If I was building my dream building, I would have a drive through building, with doors at each end. Have fun with your project!
Bluestar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:12 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestar99 View Post
As long as you are building ,I would suggest you look into radiant heat. I use it in my wood shop. It hangs over head and runs the length of the building. Draws air for combustion from outside, which reduces the risk of explosion if you use chemicals or sawdust in my case. Because it heats up everything in the space, like the floor, equipment etc. it recovers faster then forced air when you have to open doors.
If I was building my dream building, I would have a drive through building, with doors at each end. Have fun with your project!
Thanks so much for your advice! I like the radiant heat idea.

Pull-through for the Airstream won't work due to driveway configuration but am considering a pull-through so I can put our kayak trailer out back and out of sight.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Also if you can, put floor drains with dry well if no sewer hookup.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:15 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Also if you can, put floor drains with dry well if no sewer hookup.
Hi Featherbedder,
I'm planning on a floor drain so I can wash the airstream and vehicles inside the garage/barn. What do you mean when you write "dry well", as I am not familiar with that term?
Thanks!
Old 01-24-2015, 03:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Check Houzz for examples of what people have done for RV storage:
Rv Storage Design Ideas, Pictures, Remodel and Decor
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:47 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Check Houzz for examples of what people have done for RV storage:
Rv Storage Design Ideas, Pictures, Remodel and Decor

Cameron, this is exactly what I've been searching for! Wow, thank you so much!

I've looked and looked under so many different search engine word combinations, etc. and haven't found anything close to this site in terms of completed RV garages and barns. Even when I cobbled together images from multiple sites they don't come close to this site.

My brainstorming meeting with the architect and builder is Monday morning so this is fabulous timing.

Thank you!

Chris
Old 01-24-2015, 05:20 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
A one-bay long building or two-bay shorter building

Hi Everyone,

What would be some of the pros and cons to a one-bay long building vs. a two-bay shorter building? In other words, for example, we could build a 65' deep x 20' wide building or a 40' deep x 30' wide building.

Thoughts?

Chris
Old 01-25-2015, 09:23 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile dry wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeks View Post
Hi Featherbedder,
I'm planning on a floor drain so I can wash the airstream and vehicles inside the garage/barn. What do you mean when you write "dry well", as I am not familiar with that term?
Thanks!
A dry well is a pit dug what ever size you want, then fill to 1 ft. from ground fill with 3 inc gravel or broken concrete, rocks etc. just not large pcs. then cover w/soil. You can plant seed or flowers or any thing but bushes & trees on top. Run 3 inch or 4 inch pipe to pit w/enough pitch to drain properly. I Think I made mine 4ft. sq. by 4ft. deep, I do not use in winter so don't worry about freezing. You can make any dim. you want as long as ground will absorb just like septic fields do, but dry well doesn't take up lots of room.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:12 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
A dry well is a pit dug what ever size you want, then fill to 1 ft. from ground fill with 3 inc gravel or broken concrete, rocks etc. just not large pcs. then cover w/soil. You can plant seed or flowers or any thing but bushes & trees on top. Run 3 inch or 4 inch pipe to pit w/enough pitch to drain properly. I Think I made mine 4ft. sq. by 4ft. deep, I do not use in winter so don't worry about freezing. You can make any dim. you want as long as ground will absorb just like septic fields do, but dry well doesn't take up lots of room.
Thanks, Featherbedder. That makes sense. I sure do appreciate your clear description.

Take care,
Chris
Old 01-26-2015, 11:49 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeks View Post
Hi Everyone,

I've searched and cruised all the Air Forum threads, as well as other websites/forums, I could find showing and speaking about garages/barns in which to store an Airstream. Many of the threads were from a while back.

I am prepping for a meeting with our builder regarding a structure to cover our Airstream and tow vehicle.

I am able to build custom on our country property and want to have a structure that goes nicely with our house so will not be going a pre-fab route.

Want to post your photo for us all?! Want to give me advice?

Thanks, Everyone!
What's your house going to look like? The looks of your garage are going to be a matter of preference. i had a freind with a saw mill custom cut all my wood for an old look. When I built my barn, some of the things I insisted on having were:

-2x6 walls (and accompanying R19 insulation, thus I never winterize my camper)
-insulated roof
-double pane windows
-house wrap
-10 foot doors, 12 foot ceilings, high lift garage door tracks
-LED lighting
-photocell lighting on outside Texaco signs and porches that comes on at night
-Motion sensor lighting out back
-drive through doors as someone else mentioned
-overhangs for storage, front porch for displaying antiques, hanging out, washing a car, parking cars, unique look and to minimize sun exposure to building and interior walls. (the inside is like a basement in the summer even without the A/C running)
-floor drain
-30 amp inside electric for camper
-carefully planned electrical outlets
-pre lay out plumbing for bathroom (under slab) (don't forget shower drain)
-run an accessible extra large piece of conduit under slab to bring in additional electrical or cable later as needed
-wire it with Ethernet from house (I failed to do this). Now I have to run a WiFi repeater up there.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, G

You can view my shared photo stream on the web:
Barn pics May 2013
StreaminGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:32 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreaminGuy View Post
What's your house going to look like? The looks of your garage are going to be a matter of preference. i had a freind with a saw mill custom cut all my wood for an old look. When I built my barn, some of the things I insisted on having were:

-2x6 walls (and accompanying R19 insulation, thus I never winterize my camper)
-insulated roof
-double pane windows
-house wrap
-10 foot doors, 12 foot ceilings, high lift garage door tracks
-LED lighting
-photocell lighting on outside Texaco signs and porches that comes on at night
-Motion sensor lighting out back
-drive through doors as someone else mentioned
-overhangs for storage, front porch for displaying antiques, hanging out, washing a car, parking cars, unique look and to minimize sun exposure to building and interior walls. (the inside is like a basement in the summer even without the A/C running)
-floor drain
-30 amp inside electric for camper
-carefully planned electrical outlets
-pre lay out plumbing for bathroom (under slab) (don't forget shower drain)
-run an accessible extra large piece of conduit under slab to bring in additional electrical or cable later as needed
-wire it with Ethernet from house (I failed to do this). Now I have to run a WiFi repeater up there.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, G

You can view my shared photo stream on the web:
Barn pics May 2013
Hey, G,

Your barn is "off the charts". Amazing! Nicely done.

Thanks so much for sharing all of the specifics. You gave me some more ideas I hadn't thought of.

I really appreciate you taking the time to list it all out for me, G!

Take care,
Chris