Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-05-2019, 11:08 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 85
Fresh water tank petcock valve

Just stored my 2020 Bambi 22FB for the winter. Itís inside in a heated garage.

Canít remember if my fresh water drain valve was open or not.

Additionally, not sure which way is closed and which is open as there is no water left in it so nothing drains no matter how I position it.

My questions:

1) Which way is open?

2) Big deal if I leave it open all winter?

Thanks!
__________________

steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:58 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by steilkurve View Post
Just stored my 2020 Bambi 22FB for the winter. Itís inside in a heated garage.

Canít remember if my fresh water drain valve was open or not.

Additionally, not sure which way is closed and which is open as there is no water left in it so nothing drains no matter how I position it.

My questions:

1) Which way is open?

2) Big deal if I leave it open all winter?

Thanks!

So I called Airstream and they told me it didnít matter open or close when in storage and that open was probably best to help the tank dry out. Experts on here would agree?
__________________

steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

 
2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 7,297
Fresh water tank petcock valve

I keep my drain valves shut to keep critters out. I put some quality RV antifreeze through the system as a precaution. It flushes out fairly easily.
__________________
Rich, KE4GNK/AE, Overkill Engineering Dept.
'The Silver HamShack' ('07 International 22FB CCD 75th Anniversary)
Multiple Yaesu Ham Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch, Prodigy P2 controller.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:34 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
 
2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 474
I close mine after draining so as to keep vermin out. Don't ask me what I'm afraid of, just the thought of some bug or something crawling up in there.



Chances of that are slim, but hey, I'm OCD
__________________
If you ain't havin' fun you ain't doin' it right

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:03 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
 
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Forest Grove , Oregon
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 405
I have hundreds and hundreds of spiders and bugs in my shop...I close it to keep things from crawling in over the winter. I gently close my low point drains for the same reason as well.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:20 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post
I close mine after draining so as to keep vermin out. Don't ask me what I'm afraid of, just the thought of some bug or something crawling up in there.

Chances of that are slim, but hey, I'm OCD
Ok but letís say something does crawl in, it would have to be very small and would be spit out after a good flush come Spring, no?

And what position is closed, left or right?
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:38 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member
 
2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by steilkurve View Post
Ok but let’s say something does crawl in, it would have to be very small and would be spit out after a good flush come Spring, no?

And what position is closed, left or right?
On mine, when facing the valve, left is closed, turn to right to open.

And I think you are correct, an ant, or other little bug, would likely get flushed out if you do that. Otherwise it would either get caught up in the water pump filter, or just disintegrate.


I once popped the lid on a private well, and there was quite a colony of earwigs tucked in and happily living under the lid. So, you KNOW that person had earwig carcasses falling in to that well water. He and his wife, and children, and family, all survived
__________________
If you ain't havin' fun you ain't doin' it right

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:45 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member
 
Baby Zeppelin's Avatar
 
2018 28' Flying Cloud
Suwanee , Georgia
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by steilkurve View Post
Ok but letís say something does crawl in, it would have to be very small and would be spit out after a good flush come Spring, no?

And what position is closed, left or right?
On mine with the handle pointed toward the front of the trailer it's closed, to the rear of the trailer it's open.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Drain Valve.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	355707

valve closed in photo above
__________________
Erik & Carol
Suwanee, Georgia
AS: 2018 Flying Cloud 28 "Baby Zeppelin"
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:08 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post
On mine, when facing the valve, left is closed, turn to right to open.

And I think you are correct, an ant, or other little bug, would likely get flushed out if you do that. Otherwise it would either get caught up in the water pump filter, or just disintegrate.


I once popped the lid on a private well, and there was quite a colony of earwigs tucked in and happily living under the lid. So, you KNOW that person had earwig carcasses falling in to that well water. He and his wife, and children, and family, all survived
Thanks.

Not sure why the manual and valve itself are so cryptic in terms of telling you which way is open and which way is closed.

From memory the handful of times Iíve used the fresh water tank in this first few months of ownership, I think you are correct. Left closed, right opened. Others feel free to chime in.

Iíll probably pay the visit fee and go check at the storage facility the AS is at. While Iím not too worried about bugs because of the above, why take the chance.
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master
 
Al and Missy's Avatar

 
2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3,698
Take a little water and pour it in the tank. Drain it out and close the valve.

Al
__________________

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:19 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Take a little water and pour it in the tank. Drain it out and close the valve.

Al
Guess I could though itís been winterized and all.
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:26 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member
 
VeloBuckeye's Avatar

 
2018 27' Flying Cloud
Easton , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 32
I placed a dot of red paint on the petcock while in closed position, and a dot of green paint on the other side while in open position. Helps this aging brain remember...
__________________
VeloBuckeye
2018 Flying Cloud 27FB
2018 F150 Lariat PowerStroke Diesel
VeloBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:43 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Zeppelin View Post
On mine with the handle pointed toward the front of the trailer it's closed, to the rear of the trailer it's open.

Attachment 355707

valve closed in photo above
Thanks. Looks like the same valve. Pretty sure now closed is left/front pointing for mine.
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:52 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member
 
banderabob's Avatar
 
2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by steilkurve View Post
So I called Airstream and they told me it didnít matter open or close when in storage and that open was probably best to help the tank dry out. Experts on here would agree?
Iím no expert, but I leave it open.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:46 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 85
Thanks all for the advice. Ended up going back to the indoors storage facility. They had a few clients still coming in with their trailers so let they let me access without charging me their usual fee. Valve was indeed open so I shut if off. It was open for a few days so it probably dried out if it was still wet. It’s now closed for the winter. Best of both worlds I guess.
__________________

steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Petcock drain pouring water GypsyKarma Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps 11 10-10-2016 04:01 PM
Where is my fresh water tank petcock drain plug? '76 Tradewind Bobkatbry Fresh Water Systems 8 03-24-2016 04:56 PM
Newb: petcock to dump water not working? 3campers 1984-1988 Limited 4 06-09-2012 03:49 PM
Replacing Fresh Water Drain Petcock on 99 Safari Clawdan Fresh Water Systems 10 01-14-2010 05:15 PM
Metal Petcock Valve Replacement, Help! HowardD Fresh Water Systems 3 06-10-2005 10:41 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×