Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2017, 03:52 PM   #1
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Fresh H2O System and Storage

We will need to put our AS in storage for the next eight weeks or so and was curious what others do relative to the fresh water system. Do you drain the tanks or leave them (fresh water tank and hot water tank) partially, or fully, filled?

Thanks!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I keep my fresh water tank full at all times. I only add a very small amount of bleach if it is going to be unused for over a month. I usually try to drain and refill monthly.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If you're looking at 8 weeks of down time, I would drain them.

Maggie
Old 08-13-2017, 05:55 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Your fresh water system is vented, not sealed, so it is possible for contaminants to get in. That's not to say that contaminants will get in, just that they can.

That said, I routinely keep my fresh water system full from June 1st through November 30th each year (hurricane season). As long as the fresh water system was sanitized when it was un-winterized, and as long as the water going into the tank was clean and safe to drink, it should stay that way.

But adding a small amount of bleach to the tank to make sure it stays safe to drink is a very good idea, and one that I follow. The EPA, various State Public Health agencies, the World Health Organization, and the Centers for Disease Control are all in agreement that any measureable amount of chlorine in the water will prevent the growth of microbes in the water— and kill any microbes that are already in the water.

All you need is one teaspoon of unscented Clorox household bleach for every 5 to 8 gallons of water in your tank. That's a lot less than your Airstream owner's manual says to use for disinfecting your fresh water system. But you're not trying to disinfect the plumbing in this case, you're trying to disinfect the water. One teaspoon per 5 gallons is about the most you can add without making the water taste like a swimming pool. But it's still enough to kill any microbes ranging from coliform bacteria to the hepatitis A virus.

If you were going to drain the system before storage, you would want to follow the Airstream Owner's Manual directions for sanitizing your plumbing before adding water again after storage.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:59 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

So what's the most practical way to get the bleach into the tank?

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
When I add bleach I usually add 1/4 cup to a 2 liter coke bottle. Fill the bottle with water and pour it in the same hole that I add water to the tank.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:07 PM   #7
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I have never drained fresh water tanks and have never had a problem. I do keep the tank full. I believe city water has enough chlorine to keep the tanks sanitized, I also use a Camco filter when I fill the tank.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:24 PM   #8

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
I believe city water has enough chlorine to keep the tanks sanitized, I also use a Camco filter when I fill the tank.
Charcoal filters remove chlorine from water.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Does anybody have any experience using that Camco water 'freshener'?
does it kill 'bugs' and stuff, or is it just a 'feel good' add on?
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
Does anybody have any experience using that Camco water 'freshener'?
does it kill 'bugs' and stuff, or is it just a 'feel good' add on?
Active ingredient: sodium hypochlorite.

It's bleach.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:06 PM   #11

2012 Interstate Coach
Some people swear by it. I've never used it myself.

It's just a Sodium Hypochlorite solution. Which means it's got the same active ingredient as unscented un-concentrated Clorox bleach, but at a higher price.

Camco water freshener accomplishes exactly the same thing as adding bleach to your drinking water. No more, no less.

But here's the kicker— clean water in a clean container doesn't ever stagnate. As long as there is nothing organic in the water, the water doesn't stagnate, and will be just as good years from now as it is today. It may taste a little bit flat due to dissolved oxygen evaporating out, but that's easily cured by an aerating screen on your galley faucet.

Adding bleach (or Camco Water Freshener) to the water is just a precaution against anything organic that might get into the water when you're not looking.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:48 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Consider that if we're talking storage, chlorine will come out of solution and float off. It happens pretty quickly. What's "protected" in November probably is just plain water come April. It's still a good idea to flush the system after storage, stored full or empty.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:54 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Well, I normally drain my tank for storage; BUT there is a lot of good information to hang onto.��
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:50 AM   #14
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Great input! There is always things to learn and I so much enjoy learning. Our AS is now "sleeping" till about mid Oct. Her H2O tank is full with an added few teaspoons of bleach to keep her smelling fresh.

Thanks for the assistance!

Bob
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:15 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Great input! There is always things to learn and I so much enjoy learning. Our AS is now "sleeping" till about mid Oct. Her H2O tank is full with an added few teaspoons of bleach to keep her smelling fresh.

Thanks for the assistance!

Bob
Was just going to chime in with this suggestion! Have a good "vacation" from the Airstream.

Cheers,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote