Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2016, 01:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 28' Flying Cloud
Marquette , Michigan
first time winterizing on my own

I am about to try and winterize my 2012 FC on my own. Recently went to a local non airstream dealers free winterizing clinic and I feel pretty confident about the basic procedure. The one thing I heard that that I can't figure out concerns the city water inlet. Instructor said remove the screen from the city water inlet and push in the little release valve to gravity drain any water left in the inlet. I can get the rubber washer out but not the screen. To me it appears the screen is permanently installed. Is this step necessary? If so, anyone know how to get the screen out so I can get at the little pressure release button (if there really is one??) I have been a lurker on the forum for some time but as I take on more and more DIY maintenance I am going to rely on your wonderful folks for help
Alwaysready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:26 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Metuchen , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysready View Post
I am about to try and winterize my 2012 FC on my own. Recently went to a local non airstream dealers free winterizing clinic and I feel pretty confident about the basic procedure. The one thing I heard that that I can't figure out concerns the city water inlet. Instructor said remove the screen from the city water inlet and push in the little release valve to gravity drain any water left in the inlet. I can get the rubber washer out but not the screen. To me it appears the screen is permanently installed. Is this step necessary? If so, anyone know how to get the screen out so I can get at the little pressure release button (if there really is one??) I have been a lurker on the forum for some time but as I take on more and more DIY maintenance I am going to rely on your wonderful folks for help
Never heard of that step.
The only thing you have to do to drain the fresh water tank is to open the valve located between the tires.
GenXair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

In addition to opening the drain valves….

Opening the faucets, can speed up the draining, and perhaps do a little better of a job. ( think of holding your finger on the top of a straw )
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:37 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
? If so, anyone know how to get the screen out so I can get at the little pressure release button (if there really is one??) I have been a lurker on the forum for some time but as I take on more and more DIY maintenance I am going to rely on your wonderful folks for help [/QUOTE]

I just replaced the city water inlet on my 2016 FC 27'. There is no release button that I could see. I always use a fitting that allows you to blow compressed air thru the city water inlet. This is my third Airstream and it's worked so far. There is a pressure reducing valve behind the screen and rubber gasket, but no buttons.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:58 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Metuchen , New Jersey
Alwaysready, did you get a copy of the Newbies Guide to Airstreaming book with your trailer package? It list all the steps you need to take for proper winterizing.
GenXair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I beieve that button you are told to push could be associated with a backflow prevention valve (if installed) that eliminates any chance of water from your trailer plumbing system feeding back into the water lines.

When you push the button you are opening the valve and allowing any trapped water to run out. Many people don't bother doing that and never have a problem, but trapped water "could" freeze in the backflow prevention valve and crack it, so it is a good precaution.

Not sure about your screen, but often they are integral with a washer and needto be pried out. Possible the washer that you removed was an extra washer that got installed at some point - perhaps because the one that is part of the screen was leaking ?

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum!

No need to remove city water inlet screen, or push any hidden button. What?

See AS book already mentioned and your owner's manual for most steps. Lots of threads here discuss winterization:

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...ion&gsc.page=1

The big question is to use antifreeze or not? We don't and rely on compressed air to blow out the lines.

We are on the road now, but will reply in more detail over the weekend.

Easy to do on your own!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:01 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2012 28' Flying Cloud
Marquette , Michigan
Feeling much better

Thanks for all the great, timely support. Instead of grabbing the original newbies guide from our bookshelf I looked in Rich Luhr's latest "complete guide to AS Maintenance" and didn't see a lot of help there (nor the original owners manual which is so overly generic it's almost useless - IMO) . So after beating up my city water inlet trying to get the screen out, I gave up. I need to work on my patience level when I hit snags trying to get work done on our unit - as you can no doubt tell, I am not all that "handy". Fortunately you guys came to the rescue and I think I'm good now. Finished the process yesterday. Hopefully I've got all the bases covered. When I get back to the rig this afternoon I will grab my copy of "newbies guide" and make a copy of the winterizing section and keep it readily available.
Alwaysready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:19 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Did you get to the filter at the water pump, make sure it is drained, and blow back (by mouth) into the supply line coming from the water tank (with the drain for this tank open)? In some models, there can be water trapped in a low spot of this supply line between the tank and the filter/pump. Better safe than sorry IMO.

Peter

PS -- We are still on the road, but wanted to post this one thought since you have just done the winterization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysready View Post
Thanks for all the great, timely support. Instead of grabbing the original newbies guide from our bookshelf I looked in Rich Luhr's latest "complete guide to AS Maintenance" and didn't see a lot of help there (nor the original owners manual which is so overly generic it's almost useless - IMO) . So after beating up my city water inlet trying to get the screen out, I gave up. I need to work on my patience level when I hit snags trying to get work done on our unit - as you can no doubt tell, I am not all that "handy". Fortunately you guys came to the rescue and I think I'm good now. Finished the process yesterday. Hopefully I've got all the bases covered. When I get back to the rig this afternoon I will grab my copy of "newbies guide" and make a copy of the winterizing section and keep it readily available.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
seems to me that the new A/S's should have a "winterize now" button inside and a few minutes of whirring and vague splashing sounds outside a green light appears and you are winterized. Just thinking out loud ...
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:34 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
There was a section in my owner's manual that was overly detailed on winterizing-
Blow out the lines with compressed air-
Raise the jack all the way to the top-
Blow out again-
Lower the jack all the way yo the bottom-
Blow out again-
Then put in pink anti-freeze.
I did it that way once.
The next time I cut out some of the steps as I didn't see any benefit.
I blow out with compressed air- open kitchen faucets, bathroom faucets, shower, flush toilet, low point drains, black tank flush then repeat the process with pink antifreeze using the trailer's water pump and a short piece of plastic tubing and then put pink antifreeze in the p-traps.
I have had some fails, but learned from them. I neglected to properly winterize the toilet and black tank flush the first time and the valves froze. Got a new toilet valve from the internet and got a new black tank flush valve at Jackson Center.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:08 PM   #12
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I use a hand pump to push a little antifreeze in the city water hose.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Alwaysready, I can't comment on the release button and screen removal other to say in our FC 20' 2014 I've never heard of the button and did not remove the screen.

You also didn't mention air only vs AF. For a variety of reasons I opt to use only air in the distribution lines and use AF only in the traps.

Here is a check list off the net by Dave Schumann who I believe is with JC. I completed (fumbled thru) the first winterization last November and after that process and sound advice from OTRA15 (same model/yr) and a few others, I developed a more detailed check list. I had to winterize 3 times last winter/spring after the initial and it got easier each time. PM me is you’d like a copy of my (over the top) list.

I should also say my first run was with a small 110v inflator which worked ok. My last was with a 12V inflator due to a surprise cold front…took a while but worked fine too. I’ve since acquitted a dual tank compressor as pushing a lot of air thru to dry things out is the key.

Bob
Attached Files
File Type: pdf winterization 1 2015.pdf (66.7 KB, 257 views)
File Type: pdf winterization 2 2015.pdf (5.56 MB, 299 views)
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:49 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
I have put a rather comprehensive list of step by step directions for winterizing our 2014, 27ft. Flying Cloud. If you are interested email me at sgraner@aol.com
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:05 PM   #15
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

I connect my air compressor to the fresh water city inlet with 60psi pressure and blow everything out. First the faucets/shower, then the hot water heater then finally the low point drains.

Takes multiple air tank refills by my little compressor but it leaves no room for doubt that all the lines are completely dry. Add 3 gallons of rv anti-freeze to p-traps, toilet and grey water tank and you're done. Easy peasy.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

The one thing that "some" people forget…ok it was me

After getting pretty darn good at winterizing by doing it year after year, I forgot to purge the water out of my toilets spray wand.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
wulfraat. Am I reading your comment wrong? add 3 gallons to p traps and toilet/balck tank?

If I blow out the lines it would seem that a cup full in each trap would be adequate. An empty black tank and grey water tank would not have much water left to freeze.

I agree you should get some antifreeze into the pump.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi

3 gallons?
No way.
Maybe 3 cups or 3 pints...
1.5 gallons gets pink in the entire system.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-22-2016, 09:17 PM   #19
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

I take no chances. A gallon goes in the black water tank and 2 gallons go in the grey water tank to ensure the waste vales don't freeze due to some residual water that may make its way out of the tanks while in transit...

P-Traps being filled with rv anti freeze is a byproduct...

It's like $3 bucks a gallon. Cheap insurance.

(Note that I do not use anti freeze in the fresh water plumbing - that system gets blown out as mentioned above... I also disconnect the hoses to/from the fresh water pump and leave those off for the winter once the system has been blown out)
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:30 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I guess the difference is Colorado vs. Mississippi.
I figure there is some residual in the black and gray tanks because I ran pink through the faucets and toilet through the p-traps into the tanks.
Anyway, less than 2 gallons gets it all done.
Even at $4 a gallon $8 is cheap insurance.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955