Old 10-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Dumb Question Alert

Do people in the Deep South winterize their AS?

Old 10-08-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAStreamin View Post
There's no such thing as a dumb question, only dumb people asking them. Kidding; I forget where that quote came from, which kind of makes me the dumb one, I guess…

I live along the Gulf Coast, and last year I winterized not once, but five times! Mainly because after each time I winterized, I had a holiday weekend to go camping again not long after. Then when I got back from the camping trip, I had to do it again until the next trip.

But the winter before last, I didn't winterize at all; we only had freezing temps for the holiday weekends I was camping already, so disconnecting the hose and running the furnace and tank heaters was all I had to do.

So the answer to your question is, sometimes.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAStreamin View Post
Has it ever frozen where you keep the trailer?

If so, or even close, then be SAFE instead of Sorry, and winterize.

The cost to winterize is peanuts compared to the cost of correcting a freeze up.

Andy
Old 10-08-2014, 08:45 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
FL Panhandle , Florida
We are as deep south as you can get without falling into the Gulf (okay, most of FL is farther south, but they don't claim it as "Deep South") and we have never had to winterize. This past winter had several freezes and even an ice storm, but we just drained all tanks, opened all the cabinet doors, and ran the propane heater. We don't keep it hooked to water lines at home, so that was not an issue. Maybe we were just lucky.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:09 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
Some of the best camping here is in the winter.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Mississippi Gulf Coast, I have never winterized. We do not really have a winter here. The occasional cold front might come thru but it never stays below freezing for any time. If it looks like it might get close to freezing I drain the water tank and plug in a small electric heater.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
We live where most people would consider "deep South", and use our trailer year round. So, I pay attention to the forecast, and when it is supposed to freeze, I winterize, to a degree, and keep some heat on in the trailer. However, some years it doesn't freeze here.

My winterizing "to a degree" consists of draining all tanks, opening all faucets, opening system drains to drain as much water as I can, and then I blow the lines with air pressure. Been doing it this way for years without a problem.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:56 PM   #8
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I've never winterized any of my campers. I will put a light bulb by the hose inlet (the only place on my trailer where the water line is outside the shell), and leave a small portable ceramic heater on inside the camper on nights it's going to be a hard freeze.... Has worked so far.

-Red
Old 10-08-2014, 10:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
The only time I ever had a pipe to freeze and burst in a trailer, I was in Brunswick GA, just north of the Florida state line. The forecast was for 32F but it dropped to 28F for about 4 hours. That's all it takes!
Old 10-08-2014, 10:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foil-warped View Post
We are as deep south as you can get without falling into the Gulf (okay, most of FL is farther south, but they don't claim it as "Deep South") and we have never had to winterize. This past winter had several freezes and even an ice storm, but we just drained all tanks, opened all the cabinet doors, and ran the propane heater. We don't keep it hooked to water lines at home, so that was not an issue. Maybe we were just lucky.
Being lucky never replaces being skillful and playing things safe.

All of use have taken chances during our life, but sometimes, the cost to fix one of those chances that goes bad, can be HUGE, especially when it comes to an Airstream.

Andy
Old 10-09-2014, 12:03 AM   #11
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Short answer is yes. We had single digit temps here in the Atlanta area last winter and several nights down in the teens. Be prepared, as Baden-Powell famously said.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:00 AM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
If you store your Airstream at home, you can afford to wait until the last minute to winterize. As long as I'm still working for a living, every Friday afternoon I check the 10-day forecast on the Weather Channel online, and if the forecast includes even one night below freezing in the next ten days, I winterize on Saturday, and leave it winterized until my next winter camping trip.

But if you store your Airstream away from home and don't check on it or use it frequently, you don't really have that luxury. If you check the record lows for each month in your area, and there is a record low below freezing, winterize and leave it that way until you're ready to use it again.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:09 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
In the Houston area temps below freezing are almost non-existent though last winter was colder than most. Since my trailer is stored in an attached garage (not heated directly, but connected to a heated house) I have never winterized.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:40 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Not an issue for the Phoenix metro area. Out on the North side at higher elevations one needs to watch temps.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote