Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 22' Sport
New Market , Virginia
Don't let water pump run dry?

Getting ready to do first winterization this weekend. Manual says to run faucets, open drains, etc., but NOT to let water pump run when there's no water left.

Am going to drain faucets, tanks, etc, do the blow out and then fill lines (minus water heater) with AF.

How would one know whether the pump is dry? In other words, when I get to the point for adding the antifreeze and using the water pump to do that (all in one weekend), is it safe to assume that the pump is not being started dry before the antifreeze reaches the pump? Or are there other things I should be thinking of?

I know, probably ridiculous to be asking but a total newbie.

Thanks.
MStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Which brand pump? I'm unaware of any of the newer ones which will be harmed by some dry running. That being said, I wouldn't want to run it dry for hours, but while doing your winterizing, it is fine if it pulls some air.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
When the pump runs dry mine speeds up, water flows from faucet in spurts, then doesn't flow at all. While I'm sure its bad to run the pump dry for extended period, let me be the first to say I've done it out of carelessness. I think mine ran for several hours in a dry state. Didn't seem to hurt it, its run fine for another five years or more.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2011 22' Sport
New Market , Virginia
More ridiculousness: don't know what kind of pump. Haven't gotten that far in the library of manuals, but should know this weekend.

Seems like it would be "okay" over a short period of time between draining and then doing the AF fix. Certainly hope that doesn't take hours of pumping.

If I get skiddish tomorrow when doing this, or if weird noises commence, will find the pump brand and let you know.

Thanks so much.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2011 22' Sport
New Market , Virginia
That's reassuring to know even a hint of the behavior when it's getting low. Have't been "there" yet but makes sense.

Thanks much.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #6
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
It really is routine for the pump to run dry momentarily or briefly. What you don't want is it grinding away for hours in a dry state.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
For the Sureflow pumps like on our Excella it will not hurt the pump to run dry for even fairly long peroids. These are not impeller pumps, but rather they squeeze a membrane from outside the water path.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #8
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I run mine "dry" every year when I winterize. Run it until nothing is left, then stop. It's ok. Then I run it with pink stuff to fill all the lines.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:24 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Lakewood , Colorado
The easiest way to winterize is to drain everything first by opening all low point valves and water tank, bypass the water heater and drain from the oustide so that part is done. Then, close the low point drain valves, inside faucets. Disconnect (unscrew the connection from the inlet side of the pump) and use another connector with a 4 feet length of clear hose tubing on it so you can stick one end into the gallon jug of pink RV antifreeze. I then turn the pump on and to fill all of the lines in my 34 footer takes less than a gallon. Once the pump cuts off, then open one faucet at a time until it runs pink then close the faucet. Repeat this on all faucets, fresh water tap at the kitchen sink (filter already moved and cap put in place) and toliet/sprayer. Once this is done, you can turn the pump off and open the low point drains again. Dont forget the exterior water faucet if you have one in the water compartment. I typically use my air compressor and blow the remaining moisture from the lines to be on the safe side since it drops well below freezing and can stay there for days where I live. I reconnect the pump and make sure the filter screen is free of water before I put it back together. This process avoids using the pump to drain the tank. I typically drain everything the day before I winterize since my traler is stored at home and then I can go out the next day and spend about 15 minutes to finish with the antifreeze.
2000 Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:05 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2011 22' Sport
New Market , Virginia
That was very helpful. Certainly sounds easier than the three manuals and DVD I've been studying for the past week.

Once the sun comes up, will take off down the road to give this a try.

Thanks again.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:33 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
My manual says to disconnect the output fitting at the pump and run it to get the last 1/2 cup or so of water out. That's dry. Do that particularly if you're not going to put antifreeze in.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:06 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
I run mine "dry" every year when I winterize. Run it until nothing is left, then stop. It's ok. Then I run it with pink stuff to fill all the lines.

Pat
Pat,
Do we Virginians *have* to fill the lines with pink AS? I ask because I have to put her up until New Years Day when we pack her to leave for Florida. I have been reading and reading about what to do since this is our *first* Airstream winter. Before I read this thread I was just going to blow everything dry with air compressor and then our pink into the traps.

I get the impression that may not be enuf?? Your advice? Other mid-Atlantic vets?
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #13
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Blowing out should be just fine. However - I don't believe blowing gets those hard-to-get places such as shower valves and other places that would be just pure murder it they froze and broke.

It's rare that we get single-digit freezes - but, then, you get more than we Tidewater folks get. If I were you, and I didn't want to fool with pink stuff, then I would blow the system and watch the weather. If deep lows were approaching, I'd run the furnace at the lowest setting and open all the cabinets.

Still letting obligations keep us home. Maybe we'll go the the Eastern Shore early Nov. Desperate to travel.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:58 PM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by gheuer View Post
Pat,
Do we Virginians *have* to fill the lines with pink AS? I ask because I have to put her up until New Years Day when we pack her to leave for Florida. I have been reading and reading about what to do since this is our *first* Airstream winter. Before I read this thread I was just going to blow everything dry with air compressor and then our pink into the traps.

I get the impression that may not be enuf?? Your advice? Other mid-Atlantic vets?
The toilet in our Airstream broke last fall, about this time, when we had a hard freeze. Using a bucket for a toilet was not my idea of a fun Halloween. And, Greg--You live further North than we do.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:37 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Which brand pump? I'm unaware of any of the newer ones which will be harmed by some dry running. That being said, I wouldn't want to run it dry for hours, but while doing your winterizing, it is fine if it pulls some air.
X2. The pump will make a different noise when it speeds up. It will run faster and not quite as loud.
I winterize by blowing out the lines. The last step in that process is disconnecting the inlet and outlet lines from the pump and running it briefly to push the water out of the pump. Put a rag or paper towel under the pump to catch the water.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:43 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by gheuer View Post
Do we Virginians *have* to fill the lines with pink AS?
Nope. All I do is blow out the lines well and put pink in the traps. Even if a bit of water remains, there will be plenty of room for it to expand and not break anything. I've been doing it that way for years and it gets below zero here in the winter.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Wayne&Sam - Yay! I *love* simple. THANKS!
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Nope. All I do is blow out the lines well and put pink in the traps. Even if a bit of water remains, there will be plenty of room for it to expand and not break anything. I've been doing it that way for years and it gets below zero here in the winter.
Yeah, that's what I thought and did. Then I had to replace some water lines from where the mostly drained water expanded and broke the pipes.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
In my SOB, the water pump was under the bathroom sink and plumbed to draw pink from the gallon jug. I blew the lines, filled everything with pink and was good to go.

Purchased my used Airstream and found the pump hidden under the center closet, in very tight quarters and NOT plumbed with the valve to draw in the pink stuff. I went to our local dealer, who I have great faith in, and asked how I was supposed to winterize. He told me that all they do is blow the lines. Of course there is much more to it than just that, but they do not put pink in the lines. Part of the process is to run the pump dry for several minutes. I do it twice, waiting a good amount of time between. I live in a very cold climate and have never had trouble yet.

That said, I think putting in the pink is a good bit of insurance. Certainly nothing wrong doing that but there is nothing wrong with running your pump dry either. Perhaps Airstream has changed to a different pump?
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Agree with Wayne & Sam. Drain the system, inc. water heater, disconnect water pump and run dry (30 sec) then blow out thoroughly with 60 psi air. Pour a cup or two of pink antifreeze in all of the drains. Done. No residual chemical in your potable water next season.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote