Old 07-16-2007, 09:17 PM   #15
Islay - 63 O.
1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
the condensation and trapping moisture is not a big issue. Tyvek has breathable cover for trailer. But the contact of the cover on the skin would be the big problem...

Canadian Atlantic Unit Past President
Protect your dream from others and first yourself...

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:26 PM   #16
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
You can cover it but it has to be afree standing fame. Nothing must touch the trailer shell. Nasty scratches will occur.

Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:51 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
1973 23' Safari
Maryville , Tennessee
Last night I watched a RV Roadtrips show and the episode covered a couple from California who had a polished AS and kept a cover on it.
kneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:25 PM   #18
. , .
yes a cover can be safely and effectively used.

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:15 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Finally a voice of agreement. I did just a small search and found that the material in the new covers are soft , won't produce scratches, will let moisture out but not in and seem to generally dispel this myth that you can't cover an Airstream. Now, I'm on the search for one that will fit my 07 25' Classic.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:48 AM   #20
Rivet Master
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
The quality of covers has improved significantly (as has everything else it seems) over the past few years. Personally, I wouldn't do it unless I had no other outside cover options. My preference is for a cover that does not touch the aluminum and thus reduces the risk of rub/wear marks (a real bugger to polish out as I learned on my Silver Streak), however, I would not leave the trailer completely uncovered through winter. A soft cover designed specifically for outside inclement weather storage would be preferable to me than to have the trailer sit without. It is definitely a personal choice issue though as it is with car covers and people are either strongly one way or the other it seems.

If you do find a quality cover that is promoted as good for outdoor usage, in very wet weather conditions with the occasional snow and high wind, I'd be interested in getting more info from you on it. There's a trailer I've been keeping my eye on for a very long time that I am hoping is going to come up for sale this fall and if it does it will be worth the severe beating from my wife to drag it home. For at least this year and possibly the next I'll be space challenged so it will have to sit out. I want it covered, less because of corrosion or other issues in that regard as to keep it somewhat disguised from prying eyes. At the same time I don't want to cover it with something that will damage the skin.

safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:05 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member
1967 22' Safari
Cheboygan , Michigan
Block it up to take weight off tires, cover tires to keep from weather checking. CRACK a roof vent, put cardboard window blocks on south (sunny) side to hold down heat variances but,--------don't cover!

lundfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:41 PM   #22
2011 22' Sport
Greenville , South Carolina
Boy oh Boy! I didn't realize the contraversy! Sounds like most agree that if polished a cover is a good idea otherwise that's what the clear coat does?Does everyone then agree about covering the tires from the sun during extended stays? Or is that a myth as well? A.
Dureedesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:42 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs down I vote for NO COVER

See these black marks on the back 1/3 our '56 Safari?

Those are rub marks from a bush - rub marks from a cover pretty much look the same, except they are usually bigger and in a swirl pattern on the edges. It is aluminum that gets abraded and the black is aluminum oxide remnants that get ground into the aluminum. If it builds up, it will add insult to injury and actually scratch the skins - especially if dirt or debris gets between the cover & the skin

The thing that comes to mind that is similar to this is in appearance is a door hinge. It abrades and leaves a very fine residue ground into the surface of the metal - usually brass and no matter if it's clean or not, it is discolored.

While not impossible, it is very difficult to remove these abrasion marks from aluminum. If it abrades enough, it burns through the Alclad and exposes the less pure aluminum underneath.

With the newer clearcoats and plasticoats - I don't know. However, I do know the results of their failing...filiform corrosion from moisture getting between the coating and the aluminum. I sure wouldn't want to have thin spots on my trailer's coating encouraging moisture entry. But if that's not a concern - go for it!

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:50 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member
I won't cover mine. I don't want those ugly black swirl marks on the corners where the wind causes the cover to rub off the acrylic and then go after the aluminum.

Not a pretty sight for sure.
LLB21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:18 AM   #25
Rivet Master
I'm ordering the custom cover in the Sunbrella fabric. RV Covers, Class A RV Covers, RV Covers for Travel Trailers, Pop Up Campers, and 5th Wheels
Attached Images
Attached Files
File Type: pdf dimension sheet.pdf (104.1 KB, 75 views)
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:42 AM   #26
. , .
hi craftsman...

they didn't have the a/s specific template in the 80s when i purchased a cover.

so the ac, vents, antenna and awning lumps all had to measured to fit.

each situation is different and needs vary.

with a vintage polished unit there are issues like type of polish/surface chemicals that could interact with the fabric.

clearly a poly/plastic tarp riddled with brass gromets, some bungie cords and duct tape...

would not be good.

on newer units the clearcoat should withstand the modern cover fabrics like evo 3 and 4.

mine was parked under tall pine trees. LOTS of sap and needles and mosses and tree life.

along with over sprays, acid rain and bird droppings...

while i never noticed any negative impact on the finish,

i did appreciate how nice the seals and gaskets and plastic bits looked compared to other units the same age.

also i could open a window or 2 without filling the interior with dust.

the specific cover you are considering looks like a simple woven poly which should be fine for all but ice and snow conditions...

evo 3 or 4 might be twice that price now.

as for the filiform corrison issue we are facing.
since this appears to be related to manufacture breaches IN the clearcoat and road salt exposure,
i'm not sure anything but a good poly sealant and lots of rinse water, will help us much.
all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:48 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member
2003 28' Classic
1981 28' Airstream 280
Olympia , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to BusDriver
We covered our 1979 once! Boy, that was a mistake. We now have a 1996 that will never get covered. If you want to cover it build a cover and don't let anything touch the AS.

BusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:12 AM   #28
Rivet Master
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado

Maybe I can pitch in with some balance here - I think most folks let their trailers sit outside for long periods of time - unless a cover is really really tight - which I don't think you can get them that tight, you start to gather dust underneath the cover which is like sandpaper - thus is the problem - with exotic cars most of those covers are put on and off on a frequent basis so dust does not build up - or they would be a problem.

So seems to me if you are going to take the cover on and off and wash it a lot, then a cover would work, but if you are going to put a cover on and just forget it - I think you are asking for scratch marks.

What I did is built a gazillion dollar barn for my 10 dollar trailer

Ken J.

1956 Flying Cloud
Founder :
Four Corners Unit
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote