Old 01-10-2012, 07:40 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Currently Looking...
Dawsonville , Georgia
Do I need a dehumidifier or heater in storage?

I live in Northern Georgia where we have relatively moderate winter temperatures, but we do have a lot of alternating cold, wet and warm periods during which condensation may occur. I store my 2011 27 International under cover, but one end of the storage building is open to the elements. No rain or snow falls on the trailer, and there is an electric hookup available.
My question is: should I put a heater, or a dehumidifier in the trailer and run it while the unit is stored during the winter months.
So far I do not see or smell any evidence of mold, but I would like to prevent it from occurring.
Thanks for your help
GaRoc

Old 01-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Since you are not living in the unit I don't believe you will have a condensation problem. The condensation forms when the relatively warm moist air comes in contact with the cooler surfaces which is similar to reaching the dew point. Since the air inside the trailer is virtually the same temperature as the metal and glass surfaces there is not much chance of dew or condensation forming.
With the trailer being under roof the chance of water leaking in is greatly reduced because the shelter provides considerable protection from the dew settling on the trailer exterior because the shelter is somewhat like the "fly" on a modern camping tent.
So I think the risk is relatively low. I would keep a vent cracked and maybe a window ajar to provide minimal ventilation to prevent the musty smell that you get when things are closed up tight.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I use one of those "evil" incandesant light bulbs in a trouble light near the floor (60 or 100 watt) and provide a small amount of ventilation. The heat from the bulb circulates the air and, for me, prevents any mold or musty smells. The cost is reasonable. Try it and see if the results are favorable. The humidity in your area may require more "agressive" action.
Sam
Old 01-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
I always run a dehumidifier in mine when not in use.
I have a delonghi with a auto pump and humidistat. Set it and it does its thing.
I am in the St. Simons area in south Ga.
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #5
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Storage...condensation?

Never had a problem with interior condensation during winter storage up here in WNY. I do keep the stove vent open.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08032.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	148652  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #6

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
We use a dehumidifyer, and really NEED it, when we are in the trailer. Do we need it when it's parked? Nah...but we do run it to keep everything crisp and fresh.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:42 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
I use a DampRid in mine. It collects any condensation and leaves a nice smell in the trailer. I live in Georgia...just south of Atlanta...in Fayetteville. I use the ones that you can hang in the closet. I leave my refrigerator open, too.
WBCCI #1122
Top of Georgia Unit #52
“I don’t want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it; I want to have lived the width of it as well.”
---Diane Ackerman (Author, poet, essayist, naturalist)
benjisgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:33 AM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
De-humidifier year round. Set up next to kitchen sink to drain. A gauge to monitor percent humidity would be the next item on the list.

Matters where one lives, obviously, and how well exposed to ventilation is the trailer as dark and damp is no friend.

We moved ours from covered -- roof only -- to a spot with electric where roof and one side were covered and it took several days for the dehumidifier to bring the interior down to a decent percentage.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I keep one of my trailers in a barn in Illinois. The last time we were there the inside smelled like mildew (Very Humid all the time). I went to Wal-Mart and got humidity absorbing canisters. I bought two and put one in the sink and the other in the tub. You and find them over by the dehumidifer section. My friend swears by them. I will find out in the spring when we head up.

Brian
Old 01-16-2012, 06:27 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
@ rednax: next time you are up for a new dehumidifier, check out the ones with the humidistat and automatic pump. The delonghi model that I have sits in the kitchen like yours, but has a drain tube (20' or so) that I have run out a gap in one of the rear hatches; the automatic pump empties the tank automatically when needed. The humidistat display tells actual temp/ humidity and desired/set humidity.
I set my dehumidifier at 50%. This time of year it doesnt run quite as often. In the summer, it runs a lot. The AS lives less than a mile from the ocean so humidity is always an issue here.
Humidity is not our friend
-C
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:54 AM   #11
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_lewis77 View Post
@ rednax: next time you are up for a new dehumidifier, check out the ones with the humidistat and automatic pump. The delonghi model that I have sits in the kitchen like yours, but has a drain tube (20' or so) that I have run out a gap in one of the rear hatches; the automatic pump empties the tank automatically when needed. The humidistat display tells actual temp/ humidity and desired/set humidity.
I set my dehumidifier at 50%. This time of year it doesnt run quite as often. In the summer, it runs a lot. The AS lives less than a mile from the ocean so humidity is always an issue here.
Humidity is not our friend
-C
That sounds good. Mine is rather industrially sized (big enough to control a 2-car garage).
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Vancouver , Washington
When in storage we crack a vent and have a large damp rid bucket.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_lewis77 View Post
I always run a dehumidifier in mine when not in use.
I have a delonghi with a auto pump and humidistat. Set it and it does its thing.
I am in the St. Simons area in south Ga.

Yes, compared to the cost of an AS, running a dehumidifier is cheap insurance against the effects of poor ventilation and high ambient moisture.

tvanwave is offline   Reply With Quote