Old 07-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Buy a house where you can store it.

Part of owning an Airstream is being able to walk over to it, check it out, learn everything, fix things, clean and polish, improve. You should learn about it and when it is outside your house, you can fiddle with it, watch it, annoy neighbors who hate RV's but can't do anything about it.

Of course, it is easier to buy a house than sell one. Can you park it in the living room?

Gene

Old 07-03-2011, 07:46 PM   #16
CLK
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Buy a house where you can store it.

Part of owning an Airstream is being able to walk over to it, check it out, learn everything, fix things, clean and polish, improve. You should learn about it and when it is outside your house, you can fiddle with it, watch it, annoy neighbors who hate RV's but can't do anything about it.
For now - Those are some of the things,... I'm just going to have to forgo.

Again - Those damned compromises!

Cheers!
~CLK

Old 07-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
I think those challenging the price live in places where you can buy a home for less than a quarter million $$.. For Seattle, or any big city area on west coast, that seems like a reasonable number, though clearly there is some profit in it for the dealer. Combination of RE values and labor costs make storage and services more expensive in our areas...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:31 PM   #18
CLK
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
FWIW - I had called 3 secured storage facilities (specializing in boat & RV storage) for quotes on secure storage,... all within about 45 minutes from my home. All were more expensive than my dealer's price, & none provided any of the services the dealer does (I was lucky if they had designated power or water).

It wasn't until I asked my salesperson, if he could recommend a storage facility, that he told me it was something they offered. When I asked how much a month, I was surprised to hear it was lower than anything I'd been quoted.

Again - Is it the perfect arrangement,... No.

But I'm a reasonable man.

Cheers!
~CLK
Old 07-04-2011, 10:20 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Condo' is probably right. Prices are much lower here and we have 37 acres, some of it meadow and we could park a hundred trailers here, all in terrible shape, and the county would probably leave us alone. Our house is surrounded by trees, but there's enough open space to park 30 or 40, and no one could see them. The other 60 or so could go on the other open area, but it could be seen from the road. Even though there's a junk yard ordinance, they don't enforce it.

In places were people are paid decently and prices for land and houses are higher, there can be problems. HOA's and local ordinances often prohibit RV's and when we move to a more civilized area, we will be checking for prohibitions so we can keep our Safari within walking distance.

My suggestion you move was tongue in cheek, but that is one solution, though not a very good one.

Gene
Old 07-07-2011, 07:32 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The dollar amount of storage is directly linked to real estate values. We've paid as little as $30 a month, and as much as $110 a month, for storing our trailers. Also, storage costs more if there are laws against parking the trailer at your home (they've got you, and they know it).
Thank you. I'm glad someone pointed this out.

I was quoted $150/month a couple years back for a parking spot at a storage unit in the DC metro area.

In my case I was able to keep it at home, and we just expanded our driveway to park it alongside the house. Unfortunately that's not an option for everyone.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:56 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
We pay $125 per month for covered secure storage. We have electricity at our parking site and water is available elsewhere on the premises. Would we prefer to have it at our house? Sure, but unfortunately not an option. We have, on occasion, brought it home and parked on the street overnight in front of our house for loading/unloading. While the majority of our neighbors think this is pretty cool, we have a neighbor (a member of the legal profession, by the way) who finds this to be most upsetting and she insists on calling out the authorities. I might add that we live on a quiet, dead end street. We put out cones. Fortunately, the police who have responded to the complaints have always been sympathetic to our situation (we are not actually in violation of any ordinances) and as of yet we have been able to take care of business without citations. As for our neighbor, I'm sorry that she is such an unhappy person.

Sorry . . . I realize that I've gotten a bit off track here.

Debbie
Old 07-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
CLK,

I think it sounds like a great idea. I often think about how I would handle my trailer if I moved into a condo downtown. I would have no place to store it, no real place to work on it and I don't know how I would wash it either. No one knows your situation but if you can't park it in front of your house, all the services offered by your dealer would really be worth it.

I live in Spokane so I can find relatively cheap storage. For me to tell you that you should pay less is not really fair. Unless I spent time in your shoes, I really don't have a clue. I do have a friend in Bellevue that spends a tad less than you but he has no services. Hey, washing the trailer and checking on the battery and tires are huge in my book.

I say go for it. You can always change in the future and you will also have lots of time to research the best deals out there.