Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2004, 01:05 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

De-winterizing

OK; its still winter here with >3feet of snow. But, I'm thinking ahead, and was wondering how you flush out your antifreeze in the system. I suppose you should do this a few times. But, where can you hook up to a dump station? Can you pay a local trailer park for just this service?
frozen chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 05:56 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Great timing!

We'll be dealing with this for the first time - hopefully - next month.

Here on the forums, there are several threads you may search. You'll usually find them under the opposite title "winterizing".

Some Icons of this forum give great advice on how to tackle both (winterizing and dewinterizing), with great, step by step, detailed pics of the entire process.

Good luck!

PS
most members seem to agree that part of the necessary tools for the procedure, for newbies like us, are at least... two six packs!!
Old 03-14-2004, 07:23 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Yikes!; is there a lot on this subject! My search yielded nothing useful, however. The problem is the 16CCD has combined gray/black tanks, so I can't just dump the gray water system. I have no idea if there are dump stations avail. if you aren't staying at a trailer park.....even if there are, it means a few back and forth trips.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:26 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Hey Kimili, what is meant in your location description as "Italia"? Are you frequent travellers there?
Old 03-14-2004, 08:30 PM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We did address this topic not too long ago. Here is the link to the thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...=dewinterizing

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 06:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Frozen, you can get a 32 gallon tote with 4 wheels from Barker Mfg. for about $200. The tote is very useful in any camp-site without a sewer hook-up. Dump your black/gray tank into that, then empty it into your septic or into the inspection chamber of your sewer line. The anti-freeze is non-toxic. If this is contrary to any laws in your country, I'm sure someone will tell us.One advantage of your snow is that the area round the inspection hatch in the sewer line will melt first to show its location. If you live in a 7th floor apartment we will have to come up with a different solution. Have fun. Nick.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:15 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

British humor! Whahh-Hah!

I checked the threads and none of them deals with my question, which is not how to drain and flush the sytem, or sanitize it, but specifically how to do this for the 16CCD now sitting in my yard. If there was a way to bypass the tank and just flush the FW and non-sewage drain system that would be helpful. Looks to me like my only option is take it to a campground, hook up to their water, and spend a few hours influshing ritual.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:37 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Quote:
I checked the threads and none of them deals with my question, which is not how to drain and flush the sytem, or sanitize it, but specifically how to do this for the 16CCD now sitting in my yard
Some older AS models had combined tanks also. If you read all the threads thoroughly you'll find they mention that aswell.

Anyway it seems to me that going to a campsite is the best and easiest way to handle this.

At some point we were told to add some clorox (1/10) in all the drains and the toilet when flushing out the system. This will take care of the bad taste left by the pink winterizer and will disinfect the whole system.

Campingworld.com also sells the "Tote Along Tanks". Item #21407. $194.44.

Hope this helps.

We have not yet taken our AS to Italy but we visit family there frequently.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:55 PM   #9

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally posted by frozen chosen
I checked the threads and none of them deals with my question, which is not how to drain and flush the sytem, or sanitize it, but specifically how to do this for the 16CCD now sitting in my yard. If there was a way to bypass the tank and just flush the FW and non-sewage drain system that would be helpful.
Quite honestly it doesn't take much liquid to flush the water system, especially if you have bypassed the heater. Just hook up some city water and once its running clear, you are flushed. If you have anti-freeze in the fresh water tank, drain it on the ground and flush the tank a couple of times. Its not like you need to turn on the water and let it run for hours.

You really won't be carrying much water in your black/grey tank after doing this type of flush. On your next campout stop at the dump station on the way in and drain the tank at that point. Consider the fact that it took less than a gallon of anti-freeze to winterize my 30 foot Classic. I doubt you will use more than 5 gallons of water to flush out the lines.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:14 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Cordova , Tennessee
Thumbs up Spring flush

Do it on your first trip out in the spring. Check into a full hook up, use the city water and flush it into the dump at the campsite. The 2-sixpack rule from KIMILI really goes for any first time maintenance project. Clorox works well for the taste. Good luck!

*ship capt is offline   Reply With Quote