Old 05-15-2006, 10:13 AM   #15

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Well we did our dewinterize on Sunday. Only one issue internally which was the rinse hose on the toilet which loosened up over the winter. Went to flush the toilet only to get a spray out the back. Apparently the screw clamp connector that holds the hose to a fitting on the back of the toilet, wasn't screwed tightly. Nice to find though that the entire toilet seat assembly lifts off the toilet base (nothing to unscrew), giving you access to the valve and flushing assembly.

Externally I found that one the lower bolts on the curb side Equal-i-zer sway bracket that attaches to the A frame had worked its way loose. When I got the trailer home I found that the bracket had moved and had shifted the bracket off of its perpendicular setting with the A frame. This cause a small scratch in the gas bottle cover where the bracket contacted the back of the cover, nothing major. I was glad I caught it early. I checked the other bracket and its lower bolt needed snugging up also.

It's interesting to see how some things loosen up over time and cold weather.

I hooked up the water and pressurized the system. When done flushing it out I went back to unhook the hose from the city water inlet. It was about 45 degrees, cloudy and nippy so I noticed a wasp on the grass just below the city water inlet. He obviously was cold too since he wasn't moving too quickly. Hmmm I wonder....., I bent down and looked into the compartment and found a new wasp nest that obviously was being constructed. It was right above where my hands were unscrewing the hose from the city water intlet but out of my sight. Thank goodness it was too cool for these guys to be in their normal mode.

Still lots to do. I need a tank of LP, a wash and walbernize job, bring back the stuff removed for the winter, pressurize the airbed topper, and put the bed linens back in place.

Heat pump, furnace, water heater, and fridge all in working order. So hopefully no surprises coming.

Best of all, many of you remember last spring I had a small area where the clear coat popped (up high near the refrigerator vent on the side of the trailer) which has about half the size of a dime. I bought some auto clear coat and dabbed it over the spot. I'm happy to report that the applied clear coat is holding with no further sign of deterioration. Hopefully we nipped that in the bud.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:29 AM   #16
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
We've been de-winterizede since mid-March when we drove down to Mammoth Cave NP to enjoy what should have been temps in the early 60's, but never got above 40-45!!!

Upon waking up the first morining, we opened the curtains to a blizzard....

Jack: Interesting you mention that the L-bracket on your EQ hitch was loose. One of ours was too. The trailer seemed to be making more creaking and moaning than ussual, and I thought that it just needed hitch grease.

The curbside L-bracket was very loose, so I gave that a yank and tightened, and checked the other bolts and nuts as well.

The only wrench I had with me was a medium size crescent, so I did the best I could temporarily.

I also found that the nuts on the part of the hitch where the bars go in and pivot needed some tightening. I was not sure just how tight to make these since they affect the stiffness of pivot.

This made me think a yearly go-over with all things that have bolts and nuts be checked and tightened. The hard part would be the ball, which even the dealer had a hard time find the right size "bit" to tighten that giant nut.

I might have a look at the receiver connections as well.

Jonathan

Old 05-15-2006, 10:56 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
I installed my Equal-i-zer with Lock-Tite on all bolts... it seems to be working.

My 2005 F150 hitch is a bit lower than my 2002 Ford Explorer's hitch so now my trailer rides a little nose low. I measured the height of the trailer frame above the ground and the front is about 2.5" lower than the rear (2.5" across 25' is a small angle though, about .5 degrees if my trig is right). My hitch draw bar is as high as it will go, so I ordered a shorter one. I'm thinking that raising it 1 notch should do it.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:56 AM   #18

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev

I also found that the nuts on the part of the hitch where the bars go in and pivot needed some tightening. I was not sure just how tight to make these since they affect the stiffness of pivot.

This made me think a yearly go-over with all things that have bolts and nuts be checked and tightened. The hard part would be the ball, which even the dealer had a hard time find the right size "bit" to tighten that giant nut.

Jonathan
In my case the bolts that were loose were the lower bolts that support the link plate brackets onto the A frame. You have an upper and lower bolt. The middle bolt is used to support the level you choose for lift to the trailer.

Those two nuts, one on either side of the ball need to be checked and torqued. I normally do it twice a year. They should be set to 45 ft lbs. to provide proper tensioning of the sway system. I checked mine yesterday and it only took a small amount of movement to get them to 45. This is very important component to maintain. When the hitch is new, the initial torque is about 60 ft. lbs. That setting is intentional and once the hitch breaks in, you will find that it will fall below 45 ft. lbs. and will need torquing.

Yes that ball nut is extremely difficult to tighten since the clearance for the socket is so small that many sockets will not fit. My dealer has a specially ground socket. I normally go up once a year with the hitch on and let one of his guys torque that ball nut.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:28 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Pulled the FC out of the cover today and immediately clipped one of the teardrop marker lights. Dang! A quick trip down to the RV dealer and he had one in stock (whew). Everything checked out fine so I did an afternoon 1-hour snooze just to test out the mattress and it works perfectly so I guess with a tank flush we're ready to go camping. Life is pretty goshed darned good.....
Barry