Old 06-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Absolutely gorgeous! I'm jealous.

It also reminds me of a covered bridge, as someone else stated. Lovely design.

Lisa

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod" https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2002 Chinook Destiny | 1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler"
WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #16
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Thanks for all the great kudos! A couple of pieces of info which you "posters" asked: a) I keep a couple of windows in the front and back cracked open. Also, I took out the Fantastic Fans and replaced them with the remote control MAXX Fans which let me keep them fully opened -- and which have a shroud that allows you to drive with the vents fully open and not worry about rain (sold the original fans at "Alumalina" Rally a couple of months ago). Cost was in the neighborhood of $14K. That included some grading and all about 52 feet of cement driveway/pad. Add on to that around $400 for "leaf-proof" gutters and downspouts. Paint and stain (which I did myself) was about $100. FULL DISCLOSURE: The side-to-side clearance is 11 feet. The trailer is 8.5. This does NOT leave adequate clearance for a first timer to confidently back 28' of aluminum with around a foot on either side. SO, I have installed a winch system which connects a bridle cable I configured (using clevis pins attached to the welded bottom skids). I used a 110V heavy duty winch bolted to a 6x6 that I sunk into the ground with 240 lbs of cement. I attach the trailer to my power mover, hit the cable winch button and pull the trailer into its parking space with absolute precision. Oh, there's also about a 10 degree grade in the driveway up to the pad....which is perfectly level. As you can see, I had some significant challenges -- mostly because of land constraints and drive elevation, low clearance on trailer, virtually impossible to hitch/unhitch with a major angle at the tongue. ALL challenges successfully met. AND, I had a lot of fun figuring all this out!

ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #17
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
...FULL DISCLOSURE: The side-to-side clearance is 11 feet. The trailer is 8.5. This does NOT leave adequate clearance for a first timer to confidently back 28' of aluminum with around a foot on either side. SO, I have installed a winch system which connects a bridle cable I configured (using clevis pins attached to the welded bottom skids). I used a 110V heavy duty winch bolted to a 6x6 that I sunk into the ground with 240 lbs of cement. I attach the trailer to my power mover, hit the cable winch button and pull the trailer into its parking space with absolute precision. Oh, there's also about a 10 degree grade in the driveway up to the pad....which is perfectly level....
If you have time to take pictures of the winch system at work please post them sometime. It sounds like you've come up with a good solution to a challenging problem.

We aspire to have a covered (perhaps enclosed) spot to park out trailer in the back yard - you've provided some inspiration.
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #18
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Next time I do an "out and in" I'll take some pictures of the winch setup in action. It really is pretty nifty. I had a number of questions about weights, cable size, anchoring, etc. My son is a civil engineer and I gave him all the numbers I had and asked a simple: "will it work or won't it" -- I didn't need all the technical jargon -- soil compaction, yada yada. I made sure he was here the first time I tried it so he could celebrate the victory (or what could have been an expensive "agony of defeat" if the cable had snapped, winch issues, etc). I've run it in and out 4 times now and have a high degree of confidence. Oh, BTW, I do this all by myself. No help, no ground guide, etc. I added about 30' to the 5' cable on the remote control for the power winch.

ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote