Old 10-31-2007, 11:58 AM   #29
Site Team

, Minnesota
When you say space is "sold" are you talking about fee simple ownership? Or would this be set up as a co-operative venture. Is there a Board, or are you just selling the right to park there? Is it more like a 99 year lease?

Will there be any type of on-site management or security other than a keypad? Who will insure against losses in case of fire. I'd never park my RV at a place where all the other owners could come and go at all hours with no separation into individual and secure bays.

If there was a manager on site and he/she was the only one who could get into the building, I would be more likely to accept undivided spaces. The manager and owner would need to be bonded and insured if you are going to have custody of my RV.

I'd pay a lot more (up to $50/sq ft, fee simple ownership) if there were separate bays with walls.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:10 PM   #30
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRadio
No partitions between bays.

Ok, to summarize:

What would you pay (or value at) the following storage solution for your Airstream or RV/boat:

> steel structure 120' long, 35' deep; 10 pull-thru bays with 10'x10' overhead doors on both sides. Bays are not partitioned. (more of these steel structures would be added as demand allowed. outside storage would also be available for renters awaiting an indoor spot).

> purchase price for your storage spot only includes the actual storage space. Taxes, upkeep, maintenance to grounds/buildings would be covered by monthly assessment (which could rise every few years to keep pace with prop tax increases and inflation).

> Storage site has razor-wire security fencing, on-site dump station and a visiting mechanic who can perform work/winterizing/maintenance for a fee.

> 24/7 access

> no fire protection/sprinklers; no power; no climate control

> rural location a few minutes off a major interstate; 40-50 miles west of Chicago (off I-88 or I-80?)

Whew. Ok.

Is $5,000 for a permanent indoor space with starting assessment fee of $100/month acceptable? Or crazy expensive??

Sorry, but no sale! If I were to purchase a place to store my baby I would want it to be protected not from just the weather but from all sorts of things. First no power? That is a real deal killer. No Fire Protection? I would not be surprised if my insurance carrier would not insure my Airstream if it were in a paid for storage facility without fire control. I also wouldn't want my Airstream in a location where others can walk around freely unsupervised. Great idea but needs more work.

Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:37 PM   #31
Little Radio

1966 28' Ambassador
Chicago , Illinois
Excellent input!

Let me wrestle with the model some more.

Thanks. And keep the ideas coming.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:56 PM   #32
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
There is a guy in Oswego doing something similar to what you are talking about, but at a much higher cost and more amenities. The buildings appear to be completed and the concept is similar, though I like Ted's place better, he's in California....heck of a commute for me to store.

Here is a link to the one in the Chicago area:

Hangar Vehicle storage, RV, boat, car, storage Condo, in Norther Illinois
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:11 PM   #33
Little Radio

1966 28' Ambassador
Chicago , Illinois
Holy cow. This guy's set-up is awsome. I wish I could afford a space there!
Old 10-31-2007, 01:17 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Holy cow. This guy's set-up is awsome. I wish I could afford a space there!
You might want to also do a "competitor analysis" besides the market research.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:36 PM   #35
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Being a native Chicagoan, unless you already have the land in your possession, your sales goal of about $5k per unit may not be realisitic. Now, I will admit the guy in Oswego is REALLY high, but, he's also got a LOT of features built into it. Could you do it for less, without question, particularly if you have the land already free and clear, and it's zoned appropriately.

To add to this, I don't know of a single community, urban or rural in this area that would not require you to have fire supression both in the construction itself and with a supplemental system. They would also most likely want fire and LP detection as well. Why? Well for starters, most RVs have a significant amount of propane. Listening to Ted, most of his clients are car folks and big MoHo RVs. The MoHos have LOTS of propane, fuel and the cars, well, most have some amount of gas. Not the best things to have without fire suppression and detection equipment.

My guess is that you will find yourself significantly higher that the $5000 ballpark you are talking about. How much higher mostly depends on the land cost if you don't have it already. That cost is currently about $30k give or take depending on location, per acre and I think you'd need at least 2 or 3 acres. I would say that you may find you'll be upward of between $20k to $30k or more per unit.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:38 PM   #36
Little Radio

1966 28' Ambassador
Chicago , Illinois
I'm agreeing with you.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:30 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
What would you pay for this storage solution? Here are the details:

A permanent indoor storage space sized to hold a 30' Airstream. Space is sold as a one-time purchase, but a monthly assessment fee applies. Only Airstream products would be allowed membership.

Storage is located within minutes of an interstate highway out in "farmland country," but still no more than 30 minutes away from a large city.

Storage site has security fencing, on-site dump station and a visiting mechanic who can perform work/winterizing/maintenance for a fee. 24/7 access.

Your storage space can be re-sold or transferred to another party without any significant cost or fuss.

How much would you pay for a spot? What's the highest monthly assessment you would tolerate?

Please post your thoughts, and include the size/type Airstream you would park there.

Thanks!

Tony
Storage "condominiums" are selling well in Houston. 15-ft. X 40-ft. $57,900 and 20-ft. X 40-ft. $76,900. They are not limited to just RVs. There is a monthly maintenance fee but I'm not sure how much that is. They are too new to know how resale will be.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:26 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
9' high doors are nowhere near enough unless you only want trailers. Even my B190 is 10' high, and the class As are, what? 13 feet?

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:41 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I just finished building a 30' X 25' x 12' high pull through with 30 AMP power for $25,000. I do have plenty of land for a pull through/turn around. However, the building is designed so that the next owner can do with it as he pleases. I also created a 20 foot covered storage area by putting a truss roof over a pair of 20' shipping containers. Less than $10,000 for real secure storage (in the containers) and covered boat storage between the containers.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:55 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4
... I also created a 20 foot covered storage area by putting a truss roof over a pair of 20' shipping containers. Less than $10,000 for real secure storage (in the containers) and covered boat storage between the containers.
Cool idea! I've seen some very chic looking houses made by cross stacking shipping containers.
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:51 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Islip , New York
I live in New York on long Island. I just purchased a new 23' safari. I plan on buying one of those portable garages that covers all four sides. I figure it will keep a lot of the elements off it. Anyone in NY do the same? Any better ideas? Rob
Old 11-18-2007, 02:34 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
What available at the time

A lot of what someone will pay depends on need and availability. I keep my trailer in a machine shed in a rural area 40 miles away. Gravel floor, generator power when I work on the trailer and no water. It only cost $100/year and they haven't raised the rent in three years. The draw back is that most of the time I have to pull a ski boat out of the way when I take the trailer out and when I back it in I not only move the boat but have to back it to the rear of the shed. A lot of stop and checks so I don't hit anything.