Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2017, 09:26 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Covering Your Airstream - Carport

So, I did have an old thread from like October of 2013 before I bought my AIrstream, and we all had much discussion about what kind of structure I could do for housing my airstream in the back yard.

I am now planning almost certainly to this summer have built a like pole barn or car port and wanted help from this awesome community!

Because these threads get just intensive/lengthy with the questions about regs/laws, lets just assume for now that I am going to get a permit, which appears most likely at this point...and focus this post on questions about the design of the structure, dimensions, features, etc.

I will dig up a photo of my concrete pad I had done piror to getting the AS, it is as I recall 14x34 feet in dimensions and there is a small retaining wall at the back and part of the sides of it.

My trailer is 3 feet from tongue to bumper, and if I recall, the width is 9.6 feet (testing my memory now).

The trailer is oriented north/south, with front of the trailer pointed south (see attached photo)

I am assuming (or asking) that it seems that hail and wind and debris come from a westerly direction, so the west side of the trailer is more prone to damage...saw that recently with hail damage to my trailer (whole other thread).

So I either would want it fully enclosed or at least some kind of barrier on that west side and wanted your thoughts about a design.

My budget will be 10K give or take, maybe as high as 13K if it is really necessary...if I go with a very simple car port metal type, I think it can be much cheaper and I could have some concrete put down as a driveway...I pull over the grass, which has worked out "ok" so far, but if I get home and it had rained hard recently, I quickly learned that backing in is a NO GO till it dries up...this has only happened once so far, which must mean I am just lucky...the driveway is a separate issue, but related as it could be part of my budget considerations. I think though I would rather *for now* get the structure I want done as I can make do with the driveway situation for now, and do it later...will have extra funds in early 2018, so if had to wait I can.

One thought I had was a nicely build "pole barn"...Ill post a few examples you all posted from my old thread...but then on that west side, I could install like slats of wood that would mostly or to some degree "partially" occlude that entire side...I could use some screen material between the slats perhaps...I am just imagining the aesthetics would be better with some structure there that is semi open in appearance, vs just a wall...part of me likes to walk out on the patio and see the airstream vs a wall.

I mean, if I left it open but had generous width to the structure, hail damage would be minimal perhaps.

Alternatively a carport type with all walls and a garage door thingie, would mean it is totally closed off...which I imagine to be annoying for washing the trailer and stuff...but fully sheltered, it would get far less dirty require far less washing intervals.

I am hoping that this community has some experience and advice to offer!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream pad.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	285198  

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
3' is a pretty short trailer.

I'm jealous... and wish I could keep mine covered.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Hahaha - woops - 30 feet!

Yeah - I am getting 13.5k from my VW settlement in a month or so and that is funding this project

Old 05-10-2017, 09:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama

Name:	IMG_6794.JPG
Views:	817
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	285199
Attachment 1

Here are two from the other thread that other members posted - here was also another that had an added lean to type second roof portion that was awesome

Old 05-10-2017, 09:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Attachment 285199

Here are two from the other thread that other members posted - here was also another that had an added lean to type second roof portion that was awesome
My friend had a pole barn like this built on his property for a fifth wheel. I think his is 30 x 12 or so. Too small IMO, when you want to work on anything, but he can drive through N/S and on the E/W sides he added a sun screen fabric. It cuts down 80% of the ultraviolet but allows airflow, and it stops rain from driving into the RV sides.
It came in a giant roll 8' wide, so it was stapled to the beams.

He had a company build the pole barn, they did it in one day. I want to say it was about $7000.
He left the floor dirt, which I think is a mistake. You get sand on your shoes, plus the tires are sitting in the dirt.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:09 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Calgary , Alberta
Looking forward to your continued posts, Pharm! We'll be doing a similar project soon so as not to fill the garage with AS!

Any ideas on roofing material? Potential siding?

Michael
Poodle and two cats!
Masondood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masondood View Post
Looking forward to your continued posts, Pharm! We'll be doing a similar project soon so as not to fill the garage with AS!

Any ideas on roofing material? Potential siding?

Michael

Blank slate sadly

Old 05-10-2017, 10:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Hey there, Pharm!
Glad to see you piping back up on here.
Your 3' trailer is actually 30' 11" long and 8.5' wide.
I would personally go the metal carport route.
That is what I plan to do one of these days.
As far as a driveway to keep from getting stuck in the grass I have abandoned hopes of being able to afford concrete and decided to go with white rock outlined with railroad ties- still a $3800 job.
I also need a $1,600 gate/fence.
The metal carport might be $3,500 or so.
You can have one, two, or three sides walled.
My trailer is parked north/south, with the front facing west.
The south side is protected by the house itself.
The north side is somewhat protected by the neighbor's house, but I might wall the north side of the carport. I want to leave the west end open or install a door.
For now the east end will be left open so that when the last of three river birches dies I can make a pull through.
I want mine to be 18' wide if there is enough room so I can work around both sides of the trailer and open all storage bays and the entry door fully.
I want it to be 12' high or higher- maybe 13-14' high- so I can work on the roof or wash the roof in the shade.
I want it to be 50' long so the truck 'n' trailer will both go in there coupled together.
The very least expensive way I have figured to do this is (2) 18 x 21 carports end for end.
With the extra room maybe my Pathfinder, Harley, and John Deere riding mower will fit in there leaving more room in the shed.
One thing at a time as the money happens...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:16 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
I've attached photos of my AS barn project of last Spring:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Barn street.jpg
Views:	1064
Size:	670.8 KB
ID:	285205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Barn front corner.jpg
Views:	692
Size:	587.0 KB
ID:	285206  

Name:	Barn side.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	493.2 KB
ID:	285207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Barn back corner.jpg
Views:	692
Size:	588.8 KB
ID:	285208  

RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
The best option is a pole barn. There are some really nice ones out there that look good in a residential neighborhood. It may be tough to get within your budget.
If possible make the barn tall enough and wide enough to work on or wax the trailer.
My neighbor put up a carport (bought on-line) to shelter some misc. stuff. There are no sides and everything still seems to get just as wet. Also he had to put down several anchors so it wouldn't fly away like a kite.
You could always put gravel down for now and concrete later when funds are available.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:38 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I'm getting ready to build a post and beam carport myself. I'm thinking of using 6x6's for the frame, and 4x6's for the rafters, with a metal roof. I have a 25' Classic but want to add a 34 footer so I'm going to make it 14'x 36' or 38'. We have a gravel drive and it drains really well. Originally I was thinking of pouring a pad but I think I'll just leave it gravel. At the same time I'm building a new shop 20x40 and that will have a concrete pad. Doing everything except concrete finishing and the electrical. Built a little bit of everything over 30 years,so these should be pretty easy.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:44 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
If I get this picture to post correctly ,the building in the picture will be torn down and the RV carport will go where it is. The shop will go to the left with maybe 12 ft between them. Enough to get a truck into the back.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0112.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	594.4 KB
ID:	285211  
Old 05-10-2017, 11:45 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
The metal buildings are not terribly attractive, but seem economical. If the pole barn types are absurdly expensive, I may be forced to consider the metal option, we shall see.

Are there not ones (metal carports) when built that can withstand the wind?? It seems that if the structure itself it of heavy enough quality, and the metal materials securely fasten, then, it should hold up, unless impacted by something...assuming this structure would need to be insured by my home owners insurance once build. But can a metal one "do the job"?? Seems like it would depend on the build quality, but some of them appear to offer various gage supports and varying materials....and cost.

M.hony, hey, good to talk again yeah! It would seem to me that if the plan is to enclose the whole thing, then you could make it tall enough to get around, but even at 14 feet, that leaves you like what, 3 feet to work...I probably would just reserve doing that cleaning a couple times a year up there, and do it while it is parked outside of storage. As far as width, I too would like to still be able to walk around the trailer and wash and wax it...my pad at 14 feet wide, lets me freely walk around one side if parked uneven distribution, and the other is a bit too tight...so my guess is that 16 feet at least if not 18 feet would give you the walk around space needed...thanks for the correction, I had mixed up height with width, 8'5.5" to be exact I believe for my AS width, 9'9" height.

There is a certain utilitarian simplicity to simply putting up one of those metal type carports...as far as rain protection, dust, dirt, debris, that seems a great way to go.

In the event of high winds, as long as they could handle perhaps like 50-70mph straight line winds, that would be fine...I suspect it simply depends on the quality of materials.

Do those who have done pole barns not ever do some form of "walls"?

Old 05-10-2017, 11:50 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
If I get this picture to post correctly ,the building in the picture will be torn down and the RV carport will go where it is. The shop will go to the left with maybe 12 ft between them. Enough to get a truck into the back.

Heck yeah! Estimated time of completion?

Old 05-10-2017, 11:52 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The pole barns are more expensive, but more attractive.
I live in a "low rent" district anyway.
I can't make the hood or ghetto any more or any less attractive...
My metal carport will be to the side and back of the house, though, not in front.
I could build a nice fence to hide some of it, but not really a priority.
Covering the trailer is a priority, and I'm broke...
Gotta git-r-dun for the least amount of $$.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 05-10-2017, 11:52 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I'm thinking of doing roll down screens between the posts. Found a couple of companies on line that make them.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:54 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I've seen Airstream shelters with wood lattice and window screen on the side.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 05-10-2017, 12:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Heck yeah! Estimated time of completion?
Well, I've been doing a material list the past few days. Ordered a set of plans for the shop last night. It'll be easier that way, to pull the permit. I would like to have the shop up in a month to six weeks. That's with me and my son doing 90% of the work. As soon as that's up ,I can transfer my tools to the new building tear down the old one and start the RV carport. That shoul go pretty quick, maybe three weeks.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:04 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
2018 28' Flying Cloud
Kaleden (near Penticton) , British Columbia
I just moved into mine last week. This one cost me about 12K.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SmartSelectImage_2017-05-09-06-11-37.png
Views:	1694
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	285214   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170507_171438.jpg
Views:	1088
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	285215  

Roxy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy59 View Post
I just moved into mine last week. This one cost me about 12K.
Sweet. That looks really nice. What's the width and height on yours? My budget for the shop and carport is 20k. I think I can come in under that but we'll see. I may be a bit optimistic.