Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2017, 02:07 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
We have buildings at work with 10' and 12' doors.
You can actually enter both.
The 10' door leaves only inches on each side.
The 12' door feels so much better because you have over a foot on each side.
When I get a fence, I want a 16' gate because I have to turn while backing from the alley.
Once entering the future she'd the trailer is already straight, so a 10' or 12' door will work.
The trailer ends up in the exact same spot each time I back in.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:13 PM   #122
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I spoke to a sales rep with Mueller Inc...good folks it sounded like from nearby in LA...I am awaiting their quote...they claim to use much heavier duty and better engineered components, boasting a much higher weight of materials compared to competitors that is more carefully engineered and they are as a company over a "century old". So that is the sales pitch anyway...

Ive gotten quotes from a couple online vendors now too for comparison...

I got a quote from "carport central" which includes amazingly labor costs...price was very reasonable...

Mueller had what sounded like the door I wanted, it is a roll up metal type door, they can make it to my spec, so it will be 14 feet wide, same width as my pad (technically a tad wider)....this is much preferred as I have to back in a bit off center and so it helps to have as much margin as possible. I am told the door is chain operated (I will have no electric at this point for something with an electric motor).

Wife was not thrilled with the 'S-type" quonest hut...the broadside facing the west is pretty ugly compared to the broadside of a metal standard building....Wife notably does want walls after further discussion...

Mueller says that after they engineer my building for my region, they will include their specific details about recommendation for how it will anchor.

Because the VW settlement may be exploding in my face (that is I may end up getting nothing when I thought I was getting 13K - long story, not worth detailing here), I may have to wait till early 2018 to do this...

I am wondering for something like the Mueller buildings that come, and you put them together, how much a contractor can be expected to charge to put it together....

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:34 AM   #123
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I spoke to a sales rep with Mueller Inc...good folks it sounded like from nearby in LA...I am awaiting their quote...they claim to use much heavier duty and better engineeretd components, boasting a much higher weight of materials compared to competitors that is more carefully engineered and they are as a company over a "century .........…
I am wondering for something like the Mueller buildings that come, and you put them together, how much a contractor can be expected to charge to put it together....
Have you ever been inside a building Meuller builds? You might ask them who they sold some to... I have built a few. They provide engineering drawings and validated numbers. You can do it for less $$... your call. Mueller will provide folks in your area who they have worked with..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:03 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I want to tackle doing it myself but I assume I would need help for a weekend - logistics get crazy

Wondering still how much labor cost for putting one up given its fairly low complexity to build

I may talk to mueller and do some more research and consider if I can tackle it....what could go wrong?! (Famous last words)

Old 05-23-2017, 06:10 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I found out btw talking to steelmaster that the arches assembled can hold the weight for a big garage door install as I need it ...so that is a possibility still - I am kinda turned off by the appearance of the broad side of such a building though and still want to see about drawing up some ideas for dressing up the side in a way - mostly I think I'm gravitating more toward a traditional steel building design from like Mueller for example

Old 06-25-2017, 07:38 PM   #126
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6220.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	480.2 KB
ID:	288206Finally got my workshop/Airstream Port built. Just need to clean up around it and lay down some roadbase.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:03 PM   #127
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Niiiice!!! You got plenty of space under that bay!!

Old 06-26-2017, 06:42 AM   #128
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Thanks. Primarily built it for the shop. The lean-too was a bonus for the Airstream. Plus it gives me more rain water collecting footage. Mueller supplied the metal. Great folks to work with.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:36 AM   #129
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Ampman that looks very good and would fit our needs also.

Saved your photo and going to give Mueller a good look.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:36 PM   #130
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I'll likely go with mueller come spring 2018 - my funds situation will keep me from doing it till march

Old 06-26-2017, 08:56 PM   #131
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Check out Muellers financing. Got two years interest free available. No upcharge for it either, same as cash price. Passing on the house and the new shop (tears) to my daughter soon. I will replicate the shop/Airstream Port when we build us a smaller house on the other side of the ranch. I will go with Mueller again.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:42 PM   #132
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
I'm following along as I have access to a low cost lot to store on that is isolated and out of view of anyone surrounded by forest. I have the option of putting a cover to keep the Airstream (to be purchased) out of the the weather (days upon months of contiguous rainfall, but hardly ever "cold").

One option I didn't see to use for "anchoring" would be helical piles/pier (aka screw piles) rather than concrete piers, the helical pile would resist "lifting" and are faster to install and likely a net lower cost...and could be removed (and reused?) in the future if needed. We are looking into using them to build the deck next to our house as we may not be able to get adequate traditional concrete footings in our setup.

Thought I'd toss out yet another variable for everyone to consider, helical piles. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw_piles
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:21 PM   #133
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Rocklin , California
Sounds painful! Helical piles! Lol
Gamehawkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:08 PM   #134
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
They are supposed to work well. Couple of different types. Looks like you do need to drive them with a power system and I doubt you will go to the difficulty of rotating them back out for reuse. But they are a cool idea. Look also at the use of foam. Recently saw an advertisement, but not able to review the content so may be a real bad concept. Note, a truck load of concrete is all you need to build a big deck. It's available at your local discount center. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:59 PM   #135
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Note, a truck load of concrete is all you need to build a big deck. It's available at your local discount center. Pat
It is the PV array roof structure over the deck that adds complexity combined with some historical architectural/code limitations that likely prevent us from being able to attach the edge of the deck to the adjacent house as would be normal practice
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:27 PM   #136
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Edgewater Park , New Jersey
Nice!!
rwsjms7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:03 PM   #137
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Omaha , Nebraska
This thread has been around for a year, but now that spring is just around the corner maybe the topic is timely again with construction picking back up.

I would love to build a storage place for the AS, but can't do it on the lot where I live. So I rent, 25' wide, 50' deep with powered overhead door. Very reasonable rate at $200 per month ... but quite a drive to the storage facility.

For the life of me I have tried several times to rotate the photo. What do I need to do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0765.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	306164  
TSchleff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:21 PM   #138
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSchleff View Post
This thread has been around for a year, but now that spring is just around the corner maybe the topic is timely again with construction picking back up.

I would love to build a storage place for the AS, but can't do it on the lot where I live. So I rent, 25' wide, 50' deep with powered overhead door. Very reasonable rate at $200 per month ... but quite a drive to the storage facility.

For the life of me I have tried several times to rotate the photo. What do I need to do?
Reduce the size of the photo.
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:10 PM   #139
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
That looks very nice and $200 is not a terrible price. Inside storage really helps keep the coach in good condition. With that much space you should be able to share the unit with a second coach, store your drift boat, or even camp until the relatives leave. If it's not over a hour away, you have a winner. The folks who store our coach originally used a facility about an hour and a half away. They felt proper storage was that important. We are happy they found a facility about 20 minutes from us. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:18 PM   #140
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Very nice indeed. In the Seattle area we paid $275 / month for covered storage (not enclosed) with 20-amp power, and we were very glad to get it. So, $200 for this is a great deal from our perspective.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote