Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2008, 04:18 PM   #1

1977 23' Safari
mchenry , Illinois
Thumbs up Covering your Airstream

I have recently stripped and polished my 77 Land yacht with Nuvite products and thanks to all at this Forum for the information as to how to proceed with this very tedious task. There appears to be an issue with covering the AS for storage during various times of the year with with a RV cover. I have not and do not intend to seal the unit with a coating as it seams user friendly to use the products to keep up on maintenance for the mirror finish. This will be my first year after polishing and I do not know the outcome of the AS being in the elements during winter or summer. Has anyone any ideas as to what should be done? Where can a cover for the Airstream be purchased. I have read many threads and searched the internet for a cover and no manufacturer shows the AS under cover

Newbee and Thanks to All for the site
wazzup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome aboard, glad you could make it.
IMHO
I think most will agree, use a good wax or paint sealer and leave un- covered. You will not be able to keep moisture from getting under the cover and it could do more damage than good.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:42 PM   #3
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Wazzup- Covering a newer AS with clear coat is a big no, no. As for a polished rig I would say the same. There is a reason you can't find an AS cover. All the chaffing of wind and what have you will scuff your skin. You can always purchase on of those portable garages if you'd like. I leave both of ours out all the time and just keep them cleaned and polished.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Ditto. A cover will do more harm than good.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:48 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I'm all for the "portable garage" idea, keep it cleaner, and eliminate potential sun damage to curtains, etc.

But not in a residential neighbourhood, right? They look like crap when used as a permanent structure.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Whoops!!!!

Aage -

Well, there you go.... that must be why none of the neighbors talk to me anymore..... OOh well. Gotta do what you gotta do to protect what is important to you - Aluminum RULES!

BTW - I am kidding. I don't have a perma-garage over the AS. I DO however, have an AS in the driveway in a residential neighborhood. All but 1 neighbor really like the SilverToy. Several think that it adds a neat element of character to the area.... Me too!

Thanks for the chuckle.

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I have a permanent industrial lean-to that I put the Airstream under for safe keeping. It is a very heavy duty unit that would typically be installed at a commercial shop, that is attached to the shop out back. No one sees it, it works great, and there is very good air circulation. I call it my Air-hanger.

I would not put a cover directly on it. I left mine out until I acquired my set up. The weather did not hurt it. My Silver Streak I had first I covered and it looked like crap in the spring with rub marks that were a bugger to polish out.

Barry
Old 10-08-2008, 04:43 AM   #8
Hondo was a great cat

2005 28' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
RV Carport Ideas???

I have the same issue. We let our AS hang out under the tree last winter and spring and scrubbing her clean took days. I move the shed from one part of the yard to the other so I could build a carport(RV port). The problem I am having is finding one that does not look industrial and doesnt cost more than the AS.

Any suggestions or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

John

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnerges View Post
Any suggestions or pictures would be greatly appreciated.
3 Grand all up for a 16' (12' between uprights) X 56' long X 16' high (14' clear) Airstreamport - 2K for materials, 1K for labor. 20' 6" X 6" WF I-Beam for uprights, salvaged open link beams from an old grocery store being demolished for rafters, purchased "seconds" (scratch and dents, leftovers, drops, imports) for the purlins and roofing panels. Hand dug 3' X 3' X 3' holes to cement the uprights into, rented a mixer to actually pour the cement for the uprights. Used a cheapie MIG welder to tack everything in place, then either stick welded or bolted everything together.

Don't know if I could bring it in for under 3 Grand today or not, but I have certainly recouped my investment by keeping the projects out of the rain while I work on them.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Mine is under a portable garage that I have planted around and made to look very neat. The neighbors are fine with it and it protects the Airstream from sun bleaching, keeps the curtains nice etc.....and when it hails I just crack open a beer and watch as it bounces off the portable garage.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:05 PM   #11

1977 23' Safari
mchenry , Illinois
This looks very nice for your set up. Thanks for the additional ideas
Old 10-08-2008, 10:24 PM   #12

1977 23' Safari
mchenry , Illinois
Thanks for the info and nice polish job
Old 08-13-2009, 04:20 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
north vancouver , British Columbia
I will be storing my As from Mid Oct to Mid march 2010 and was wondering about putting a plastic tarp over it. Its a 98 . Any pros or cons to this?

Paul
Cauuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:03 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Albuquerque , New Mexico
The previous owner of my *new* Airstream covered his trailer with a tarp last winter because he was worried about hail and later snow damage. The tarp left marks all over the top on both sides. He sold it due to health issues, so the Airstream came with these marks. Hey, I'll be learning how to polish it.

I'm also trying to figure out an RV carport for it. This picture doesn't show the marks very well. I should take another one straight on from the side. Will try and get that and post it here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RightSideSm.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	85318  
barbara4rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Covercraft makes excellent custom covers. They cover cars with paint jobs that cost as much as Airstreams. Most everyone on this forums says you can't cover an Airstream without causing damage to the clearcoat but I disagree and and so do people at the factory but they won't officially say that do to liability issues. A tarp would cause damage.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf airstreamcover.pdf (104.1 KB, 287 views)
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:40 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

More pics of those tarp marks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara4rb View Post
The previous owner of my *new* Airstream covered his trailer with a tarp last winter because he was worried about hail and later snow damage. The tarp left marks all over the top on both sides. He sold it due to health issues, so the Airstream came with these marks. Hey, I'll be learning how to polish it.

I'm also trying to figure out an RV carport for it. This picture doesn't show the marks very well. I should take another one straight on from the side. Will try and get that and post it here.
Hi Barbara,

Would love to see a close up picture of those tarp marks. I've just covered my recently acquired 1972 AS with one (only the very top portion of the roof, from the "rail" where the awning would normally attach to about the same height on the other side) in an attempt to cover any potential leaks while I live in it for the winter. Unfortunately, I didn't know that the tarp could do damage to the skin!

It may be just as well, as I probably won't be able to polish it anytime soon anyway due to the time and expense involved, but it would be good to be aware of the consequences; maybe I'll decide to remove the tarp after all and take my chances with possible leaks...

Thanks!
Barb
happygrrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:03 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2000 28' Excella
Stewartstown , Pennsylvania
Smile

At our previous home I had no way of protecting our Airstream from the elements or the birds making their berry rich deposits. When we built our retirement home I had a requirement that I have a large building for the Airstream, my antique car and other equipment that usually went in the garage leaving our truck and car outside. I built a 30 X 36 metal pole building that is large enough to park a 34 footer if I go there. It is gray like the house and not obtrusive. Now all that stufffff is where it belongs. I no longer worry about hail damage at home and no longer have to brush the snow off my car in the winter.
frlcad5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:19 AM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
Covercraft makes excellent custom covers. They cover cars with paint jobs that cost as much as Airstreams. Most everyone on this forums says you can't cover an Airstream without causing damage to the clearcoat but I disagree and and so do people at the factory but they won't officially say that do to liability issues. A tarp would cause damage.
Most car guy's I know wouldn't store there P&J outdoors in the elements covered or not, thats the difference.

The exception would be leaks, water damage can be a much bigger problem than some marks on the skin.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:49 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
First I would check with the powers that be, and look at the local zoning laws. Then I would take a look at Northern Tool and Equipment. They have an online catalog. Look under Shelter Logic. If I recall correctly there are 219 items. All sizes of Portable Shelters if you are not able or do not have room for a permanent building. We have a 30 x 40 Airstream hanger. Its not big enough fer all my stuff. You never have enough room and if ya do, ya just go out and get more stuff,LOL TOO answer your question,No I do think its a good idea,a tarp will leave marks that you will have to polish out AGAIN .
GOOD LUCK with your search
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:40 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Most car guy's I know wouldn't store there P&J outdoors in the elements covered or not, thats the difference.

The exception would be leaks, water damage can be a much bigger problem than some marks on the skin.
True enough.
Attached Images

craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote