Old 10-25-2003, 10:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Question Covering the trailer for winter

We don't have inside winter storage . Live in Ontario . We are thinking of putting a tarp over the trailer and pegging it to the ground like a tent, not wrapping the trailer up. We have just discovered we have a leak in the front . Hubby was up on the top and caulked all around the aerial and also did the front seams on top..he thought the rest looked ok.. the aerial site needed to be done badly he said. Checked today and there is more rain getting in than before.. not a lot by any means but enough that we would like to keep snow and any more rain out .. if we tarped it it would look like a tent . Any suggestions ? it is getting too cold to do any further investigation of the top of the trailer.. maybe we could take it and head for Arizona , .. only problem we both still have to work.. thanks Annie

Old 10-25-2003, 10:51 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

We asked about putting a tarp over our 16CCD today at C&G Trailer. We were told that just throwing something over it would cause marks on the top wherever it touches the AS. Not a good idea. There are threads on this forum that talk about clever ways for putting a canopy over the AS to protect it from the weather. Just do a search. We're lucky here in California. May get away fine just washing it once a month and waxing as we aren't very close to the beach.

Old 10-25-2003, 10:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Build a frame so it can't touch the metal. There has been some discussion about this before, now I have first hand evidence of what a tarp can do. It's not clear coated aluminum, but it was clear coated paint that was tarped for 3 years. Not what you want to see in the spring.

John
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2003, 11:18 AM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Does the Bradley GT run???
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 01:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
Does the Bradley GT run???
Kelmark GT, but I am impressed, especially with only a hood and windshield. 95% of the population hasn't heard of either.

It was stored for 10 years. 5 years in Grandma's 1 car garage until she got tired of parking outside and got a bunch of her neighbors to roll it out. That is when it was tarped for 3 years. Then stored inside for 2 years by the guy I got it from. 10 year old gas in the tank but I did pull the fuel pump and fire it on a squirt can, so it will run with a little work.

Overall it is a decent car. Rear engine 402 Chevy, twin turbos, Toronado drive axle. A good winter project.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kelmark.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	3575  
Old 10-26-2003, 01:10 PM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Cool,

I am an obscure car nut. I figured if it was a Bradley you could tow it as a toad with a VW A frame bar. I think the Kellmark would be a bit heavy.

Bummer about the paint But you know how to fix that, and it will not take 4 gallons of paint to re-do.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 01:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
NO cover

Annie I would advise you not to cover. I did and it was a mess to fix the marks where the cover touched the skin.

Garry
Old 10-26-2003, 02:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
We have no Clear coat

There is no clear coat remaining on our trailer .. does this make a difference..??Thanks Annie
Old 10-26-2003, 03:03 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Givent the age of the unit and the fact that there is no clearcoat left, I'd put a tarp on it if it makes you feel better, but really, it doesn't need it if you maintain the outside.

I'd be more concerned about a bunch of snow piling on the roof vents.

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 03:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Smile Thanks Slivertwinkie

We have a leak towards the front.. Hubby up there with parbon.. and vulkem last Friday.. thought we had fixed it but it rained on Fri night and there was water in again.. getting colder.. going to redo kitchen unit and all the flooring in the spring .. would like to keep out as much moisture as possible.. has anyone used the beads in a pail ( I think they come that way ) for moisture in a trailer during storage??? Thanks Annie
Old 10-26-2003, 03:28 PM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
If you've got a leak (and as you've said there is no more coating on the aluminum), then it make more total sense to stop the water from getting in as it at this point will do more damage than the tarp..

Best of luck getting that pesky leak fixed.

I have not used the beads, but I have used those silicon bead packets that come in electronic parts that say "do not eat" and also Baking Soda. I don't really get a lot of mosture though in my unit, so I'm not a real good litmus test for the mosture question.

Any pictures?

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 07:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
NO cover...

The cover "will" scratch the aluminum. If you do cover be aware one of the ends of a rubber tie down I used wore a hole thru the skin on my A/S in just two months.
I also had a leak and that was why I covered the A/S. The leak turned out to be the AC drain pluged up. The cover was probably the lesser of two problems as the leak was doing more damage. Also I just found out one of the vents (over the sink area) is leaking and ordered parts to repair from Inland RV, around $6 for the kit. The A/C leak was hard to find because every time the A/S was moved it seemed the leak would be in a different area.

Moisture..If you have access to 110V the best thing I found was a dehumidifer from a marine center. It is a heating element about 12in X 12in 4in tall and inside is something like the heater element in you oven, it drys the air but has no fans or moving parts. Cost around $50.
I was using the beads and they do work but you have to empty the containers every two weeks or so. The marine units was great.

Best bet is to fix the leak or cover without touching the skin.

Garry
Old 10-26-2003, 07:51 PM   #13
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
annie

perhaps this is a better solution.....

http://www.kingcanopy.com/

john
Old 10-26-2003, 08:13 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay