Old 12-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1969 23' Safari
Athens , Georgia
Covering her up

Sorry if this has been "covered" before, but I live in north Georgia. Winterizing is not as big an issue as up north, because we can have 60-70 degree weather in the winter months., but can have 10 degrees and snow.
I am very close to finishing my dream AS, my first. We live in a neighborhood lot where there is NO place to put a garage, etc. in fact, we will probably violate covenants wherever we park her. But I have located a back up spot to put her. I planned to plant some camouflage around her, but we would still like to use her during the winter months.
I know she still has some sneaky leaks, so I am looking for a tarp-type covering to keep out the rain (which is falling everywhere as we speak). Yes, I know that I need to locate and fix the leaks. But in the meantime, i have no shelter for her, still renovating (2weeks away?!) she has not been polished.
Any economical/practical, mainly rain proof ideas? We only have snow about once a year, if that. Mainly rain..and those leaks

sarasafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I use a portable garage to keep sun and rain off my trailer. They are available on line. Just Google "portable garage" for links. Amazon also many different styles and sizes.

WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
The general consensus among Airstreamers is that it's not good to use tarps, etc that come into direct contact with the outer shell because its constant movement and rubbing can mar the finish. I have seen rigs that have been covered ... the results are not pretty. However, if your rig has not been polished that may not be as much of a concern for the time being, at least. Your best bet would be a shelter as Michael suggests. We store ours uncovered, but in a "Bambi Port" attached to the end of our house.
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:13 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
1969 23' Safari
Athens , Georgia
Well, ain't that the darndest thing! I haven't seen those-only the metal carports. Next question is size. My Safari is 23'. Y'all have 19 and 17 ' ers. I'm guessing the 20' one won't fit mine, and next size up is 30. I may have seen a 24 or 25 ft. one. Do you know the dimensions of yours-height, width, length?
sarasafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:37 AM   #5

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

I 'tarped' our 63 the first Season we got it.... I should have known better from past car storage experience.
Of course our weather is a lot more extreme here, but as noted, it wasn't so much the snow & cold as the buffeting from the wind.
Unwanted 'patina'.

A portable unit would help with the leaks and give some UV protection also.

Good luck...

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote