Old 10-04-2006, 07:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Buffalo , New York
Cover for Safari FB

Being new to the Airstream family, I hope this question isn't redundant. I am considering covering my 25' FB instead of wintering it in RV storage and leaving it in my driveway with the possibility of using it a few times in the winter months. Any recommendations for covers, fabrics or other related tips are welcome.
Thanks, Joseph
Buffalo, NY

Old 10-04-2006, 07:30 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Hi, the standard advice is don't use any cover that will touch the skin of the trailer. It will ultimately abrade scratches into the skin (flapping in wind etc).
maybe you could put up one of those temp canopy garages ala costco?

I recently learned that my local fair grounds rent trailer storage space in their stock barns during the winter - cheap!

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
I'll echo Janet's reponses, with added info that the Airstream's coated finish (now factory coated by Alcoa on aluminum supplied to Airstream) can easily get scratched by any of the fabric covers, and that starts process of failed clearcoat... It's actually easier on the aluminum to clean it and then let snow build up on the metal...

The Costco "tent shelters" might not hold up well in Buffalo winters, though they do OK in Calif leeping leaves and gentle rains from trailer, and primary purpose is sunshade...

Neighbors and codes probably don't allow more permanent "carport" kind of shelter, but that might protect from snow and hail and ice and sun and wind... Winterizing to prevent frozen waterline damage would seem to be required for any storage option other than heated indoor garage...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:07 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
A cover on an Airstream might do more harm than good. It is not only the potential for scratching. A cover can sometimes trap moisture inside the cover.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
camping world sells covers!

We just got the flyer ad from Camping World..they sell these covers in all sizes for motorhomes, trailers..after reading about moisture, etc..I don't think I'd ever cover the Safari with these clothlike covers..I do like the idea of these shelters made of aluminum roofs and poles...
Old 10-04-2006, 10:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I have one of the portable 'fabric' garages to house my convertible. It is a bit more sturdy than the 'cheap' fabric garages but I still reinforced it some more. We do get an occassional snowfall at our 3000' elevation and it is 'Sierra cement' as it is called....wet. So far no real problems (I did have a cheapy completely collapse on my pick-up one year) so I raised the reinforced 'garage' for the Tradewind. Now I have to move the Camry out of the garage for the convertible. Priorities. Bottom line is nothing should touch the aluminum. If you have the space and no zoning regulations a steel canopy would be the ticket if you feel you need to cover your aluminum pet.
Neil.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Hi Neil,

I think one of those tall aluminum roof w/poles might work for us someday..we get that hot sun beating down on the top of the Safari in the summer..don't know about regulations though, I've heard even when you put up one of those 'tuff shed' units, there are cerain size limitations and permits to be considered.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
I would "winter" your trailer... then when you want to use it, bring it home a day early and get it ready to go. I have no idea what kind of winter NY has... but I would think chilly! ??? You can't beat having it actually under a real roof! Second solution. Build a big garage!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
Old 10-05-2006, 01:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn
I would "winter" your trailer... then when you want to use it, bring it home a day early and get it ready to go. I have no idea what kind of winter NY has... but I would think chilly! ??? You can't beat having it actually under a real roof! Second solution. Build a big garage!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
I put up a fabric 'portable' garage for my convertible. This year I raised it for the Tradewind. Since we sometimes get snow at our 3000' elevation I reinforced the roof some. However, you in the northeast get to much snow so you may consider a strong metal canopy but do not cover your AS with anything that touches the aluminum. My problem is now is the Camry has to come out of the garage this winter for the convertible to go in. Priorities.
Neil

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote