Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2014, 06:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Corrosion x on sale

Amazon lightning deal - 14 bucks for a 16 oz can - for like 2 more hours - just an FYI

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Thanks, that is an excellent deal. I have a can ordered, free Prime shipping.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 10:22 PM   #3
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Got mine just now, thanks for the heads-up!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
If you missed out on that you can get it here for just a bit more.

CORROSIONX 90102 Corrosion Inhibitor Penetrant Lubricant - Rakuten.com
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:10 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Guys.... I understand why you are using CorriosionX. My question is how often and how are using it. I have just purchased a new AS and want to properly maintain.
Thanks
D
drftboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
D, here's a recent thread with some excellent maintenance plans that go well beyond Airstream's recommendations. These will make your Airstream last forever and look good all the way.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...on-126056.html

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
yeah, I could not remember how much it cost me for the first couple cans, but I assumed this was a good deal....glad some others got it as well

drftboat - doug and many others have spoke about this subject in all sorts of places in this forum...ill tell you what I do or am doing now.

I use the corrosion X - spay some in a separate container and apply it with a small microfiber rag to all the seams of the airstream (these are cut edges of those panels) and also apply them to all rivets, hinges, door handle, etc. I do a quick basic wash of the airstream before application, let dry, and do this application...then I let this stuff sit for a bit (some number of hours, I forget exactly how long I waited in my first applications) - then thoroughly wash the airstream, then wax it with my choice of a sealer.

I may start applying it much more regularly to the aluminum wheels as well. quarterly...I do the above full treatment now twice a year...others do it even quarterly.

for the steps, the underbelly, hitch parts, and especially all the parts of the stabilizer jacks...I spray boeshield T-9 and just do nothing and let it sit - it turns kinda waxy like...I do wipe the stairs off of any excess to prevent any falls.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Has anyone compared CorrosionX to Boeshield which was being touted here as the best corrosion control product when we bought our Airstream?

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I am interested in that question, but I would like to hear more about the boeshield and how easy it is to get off from the seams...that stuff I imagine would be much more annoying to remove...and I recall reading just that prior...

Old 12-15-2014, 10:37 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I am interested in that question, but I would like to hear more about the boeshield and how easy it is to get off from the seams...that stuff I imagine would be much more annoying to remove...and I recall reading just that prior...
I have sprayed it rather liberally in places and just wiped it off with a rag. I haven't done it for a while because our trailer is stored under cover in a dry climate. However, I don't remember giving the residue a second though. There must be someone here who has compared the two products. I thought Boeshield should be a natural for Airstreams, because it was developed by a company that makes aluminum airplanes.

Ken
Old 12-15-2014, 11:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Here is a quote from a boat maintenance forum.

From Capt Bill on rec.boats newsgroup:
Corrosion X works great. So does Corrosion Block. But the best thing about BoeShield T-9 is that it does leave a film. Corrosion Block and Corrosion X seem to be the best corrosion dissolvers. But BoeShield T-9 seems to be the better corrosion preventer in areas where parts get hosed off or hit with salt spray. The waxy film just seems to stay on longer.
Note: Don't get Corrosion X on an LCD screen; it destroys the LCD.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:24 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Here's an interesting blog with some good skin (both airstream and human) maintenance tips. I noticed these guys use the same Mequiars wash and wax that was originally recommended to me by an Airforums member.

Ken
Old 12-15-2014, 11:29 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Also - "corrosion x HD" may I suppose leave a film longer and may be compared

I'm not an expert on it and am interested in the comparisons - I recall reading myself on this subject some time ago and my conclusion back then was that there are mixed reports

That film left from the t9 I bet is kinda icky looking? I sprayed it in my wheels once and even after wiping it down generally - it left a hazy waxy residue

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 12-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
I bought corrosion x on cyber Monday when it was 20 % off at airstream store it was $13.56 for the large 16oz spray can I got 6 cans , when I got my 2015 sport when it was new and no dirt on it , I sprayed the whole underbelly with corrosion x ,including the spare tire ( the rim only ) I used about 2 1/2 cans the 16oz ones ,I also sprayed some on a rag and wiped all seams and rivets ,steps ,aluminum rims ,all awing hardware ,trailer jack ,tongue, and all belt moulding end caps external hot water heater housing,wheel mouldings. The only place I wiped it off was the top of the step ,for safety reasons . Later in the fall I (walbinized)the trailer.
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Comparing the two from a user's position, I like Boeshield T9 for the underbody steel because it leaves a paraffin wax residue that may or may not protect longer than CorrosionX. But on the shell the paraffin wax can be an awful looking mess if sprayed on and not (pretty much) wiped completely off.

So I like CorrosionX on the shell and it works very well. I dab it on the panel rivets with a Q-Tip and run a soaked Q-Tip down panel seams, let it soak it good and gently wipe it up. I spray the fittings, hinges, locks with it and wipe them up.

I do this treatment at least quarterly, and probably more if near coastal or northern road salt. It works, going on four years, no corrosion whatsoever on or under the trailer.

Compare this to our 2007 Airstream which sat on the dealers lot with no maintenance for two years before we bought it and it came with filiform corrosion at rivets and seams, and surface rust on underbody steel.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote