Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2017, 11:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Queen Creek , Arizona
Conundrum: RV Garage or Paid for Storage in Phoenix?

We are taking delivery of a new FC 25A next month. In parallel, we are buying/building a new house in Phoenix, AZ. So, I'm vetting building the house with 1) an expensive attached RV Garage (about $45K) or 2) finding local covered/powered storage. (There are multiple options for such storage facilities in the area). So, financially, it's a question of a long term expenditure as a sunk cost (about $20K over ten years) vs. adding the RV garage w/ it's huge door as part of the house price, but a real estate asset. Has anyone experienced this particular process/dilema? What was your decision mechanism and outcome? My objective, obviously, is to protect my new Airstream from the Arizona sun, but w/ the added garage, our options are dramatically reduced for selecting areas for such a new home. Thanks!
rbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I wish my Airstream was at my house. Seems whenever I go to work on some project I forget something important and have to drive back home. At 10 miles each way it's a pain. I give a strong vote for the big garage in your home.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:42 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
I would keep it at home if it was me. Why not a barn out back of the house if the big door up front offends your sense of style? There is a gated community near me where it is common to see 3 doors on the driveway, golf cart, car and RV, sort of like the 3 bears. The big door does look a little odd but it is for a good function and maybe you could put it around the side or on the back so it's not seen from the street.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Will the local govt/HOA allow you to build an RV garage? What is the price of local covered/powered storage? Is the house purchase for the long term? Is the Airstream for the long term? Monthly storage there is got to be high and can go up. Ours went from $115 to $135 and new customers get charged $150 for open covered/no power. I'm sure my rate will go up in the next year or so. If RV garage limits your housing locations/choices, the house is more important than the Airstream.

If you find a location build the RV garage to allow even longer Airstream models in case you upgrade to a 30ft model. Make it tall enough if possible for a 5th wheel if you decided to sell the house in the future.

If I could afford it and if we wanted to stay in our house we would build a covered pad next to our house to store my truck and 25fb under cover.

Kelvin
Old 03-21-2017, 06:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Garage

Another vote for the garage:
1. Super convenient to have it at the house for maintenance, pre-trip loading and simple peace of mind.
2. Safer in terms of theft, fire, etc. May even get you a break on insurance.
3. You will recoup most or all of the garage cost when you sell the home compared with sunk cost of renting space.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I also recommend building for AS and as stated above posts many pluses. word of warning besides tall make sure door is wider than 10ft. Very difficult to back into w/10 ft. door, also build longer than trailer you now own. Mods in future very exp. plus difficult to do.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:26 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
I like the garage. We have 3 10ft by 10ft garage doors on our house so it does not look odd. 10 foot doors are sufficient for an airstream but if you thing you may change then consider RV door. I have 11 foot ceilings and would have gone to 12 foot if I could do it all over again so I can put an SUV up fully on my lift. Having the trailer at home is best for security, maintenance and loading etc.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:45 AM   #8
jkwoodrow

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Springfield , Ohio
The Airstream isn't the only thing that will reside in the "garage"!
No house has too much garage space. Garage space is the cheapest area per square foot of construction cost.
John Woodrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
We spent 2 years parking out Airstream on our driveway, it was convenient for quick getaways. Our trips are short (4-5 nights a trip once or twice a month) and impulse driven. When we were looking to move we decided we wanted to maintain that flexibility, so we hunted for a house with an RV garage.

It took time but we have it. The previous owner had a 30ft motorhome so the door is 14ft tall and more than 10ft wide.

We have only been in the house for 3 months, but honestly, we are so happy we made that decision. We end up using the airstream as an extra room, I have been able to carry out winter maintenance and we get to see it from our couch (due to the strange layout of the house).

I can't imagine not having our Airstream at our house.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15727291_10158339172115144_2540286863107582539_n.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	281805  
Old 03-21-2017, 09:00 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Yes on the garage.
1. Storage is expensive and goes up every year. I pay about $3 grand for nice covered secure storage.
2. You have it at the house, which makes prepping for a trip easy.
3. You can load the fridge and have the RV plugged in so it's not 100 degrees inside when you're stocking the supplies.

I vote a separate garage, but that's just me.
I looked at the aluminum shelters but they're about $3000 and don't look all that great.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:28 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
I didn't have room to add an RV garage but spend $7,000. for an additional driveway next to my garage and put an rv outlet in. At over $150. a month for covered storage after only a year I am 20% of the way to a break even, not to mention the added value to my home and the convenience.

Build the garage, especially where you are located. Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:45 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
We would go for the garage attached or detached. Our Airstreams are at the house in the driveway. We are also in Phx.

Expensive but hard to add up the break even costs.

Storage cost
Trips to/from storage
Ease of load up for trips
Ease of maintenance
Storage for other things
Year round maintenance
Out of damaging heat
Ups resale value of house
Ups resale value of trailer
Adds a guest room
Ease of mind

Those are the initial things that come to mind if we could do that.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:53 AM   #13
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Garage! Garage! Garage!

The only reason to opt for off site storage is to protect against total loss in the event of a fire. Since you are building, most code requires fire sprinkler coverage which is a good fire wall. Therefore the risk of total loss due to fire may be much less of an issue for your circumstance.

Garage gives you access to load or unload over time and behind closed doors. Projects can be dealt with same. The coach can be at home or gone with minimal notice to observers if that is of any importance to you.

Garage can give you access to use the coach as extra house, a man cave, a reading room, an extra bedroom, or just a place to recall memory.

If your house is your forever place to live, you will get coach enjoyment even beyond your towing life. Very cool option.

Agree with the build it big suggestion. Mezzanine storage can be removed if a taller coach is stored in the future.

Good luck with your project. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:03 AM   #14

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

In our early Airstreaming days we stored Lucy at a storage facility several miles from our house. This situation made using our airstream a lot more trouble than we liked. Since we have sufficient driveway space to park Lucy at the house, we started keeping Lucy at home about ten years ago.

We don't have covered storage, but we really like having Lucy right out the back door. She is always hooked to shore power. This way we have an additional bedroom and bath. We also have a spare refrigerator and freezer. We are out in Lucy at some point every day. We would be lost without Lucy right out the back door.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:42 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Barbara , California
A Home for Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
In our early Airstreaming days we stored Lucy at a storage facility several miles from our house. This situation made using our airstream a lot more trouble than we liked. Since we have sufficient driveway space to park Lucy at the house, we started keeping Lucy at home about ten years ago.

We don't have covered storage, but we really like having Lucy right out the back door. She is always hooked to shore power. This way we have an additional bedroom and bath. We also have a spare refrigerator and freezer. We are out in Lucy at some point every day. We would be lost without Lucy right out the back door.

Brian
We second your opinion! Our "Lucy" is in a corner of our backyard with a SteelmasterUSA "trailerport" that was installed by me and my dear brother for $7K. Full hookups as well. A trailer (even an Airstream) needs regular attention and preventative maintenance. Having it at home is so convenient.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0917.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	365.6 KB
ID:	281815   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1093.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	325.3 KB
ID:	281816  

dmslawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:44 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Dublin , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiTex View Post
Another vote for the garage:
1. Super convenient to have it at the house for maintenance, pre-trip loading and simple peace of mind.
2. Safer in terms of theft, fire, etc. May even get you a break on insurance.
3. You will recoup most or all of the garage cost when you sell the home compared with sunk cost of renting space.

Down the road, when/if it becomes time to sell the house, the addition of an RV storage garage could work to your advantage with some buyers but to your disadvantage with others.
bikechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:54 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
We added an RV garage to our house since the storage rental went up annually. Greatest decision ever. Need to get ready for a trip, no problem. Same with cleaning or waxing the trailer. We also Park our TV and mower in the RV garage. It has full hookups inside as well as a full bathroom. When built we had a 25'FC and could hook truck to trailer so just pull out. We went to a 30'Classic so we now have to park truck at an angle. Plan for what you might do not just what you are doing currently.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:57 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
If you add an RV garage, one thing you may want to consider is putting in a hinged grate or walkway system (or more geeking, a grate/walkway lift) that when deployed, would clear the AC shroud by a few inches, allowing you access to the rooftop areas for maintenance, cleaning, etc., without having to put weight onto the trailer.
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:00 AM   #19

Currently Looking...
Surprise , Arizona
Recommend looking into Courtland Communities that offer RV garages with their homes. I have one and love it. Love having my RV at home and being able to go out and check on things in the privacy of my home. Could go into the garage in my pjs if I wanted to. LOL
AAAideas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:37 AM   #20

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
This is Lucy's home campsite out in the alley behind the house.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_3608.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	473.7 KB
ID:	281819   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8701.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	330.7 KB
ID:	281820  

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7