Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2017, 08:30 PM   #41

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I also would say garage. Unfortunately our HOA doesn't allow RV's to be on premise or park on the street. With a walk out lot, we'd also have logistical problems anyway. I rent a spot with a friend who is also an Airstreamer who has a very large garage with separate doors. Currently I sit next to a vintage International that sits next to an Argosy. The garage is insulated but not heated. It's about 20 miles southwest of my home in a rural area.

I still bring the trailer home for about a week at a crack. I live on a cul-de-sac at the end so I'm not on the main drag of the subdivision. In the 30 years here I've had one trustee mention my trailer being at home and we told him it was going back to storage at the end of the week. Thankfully the HOA has no ability to fine for infractions and for all intents if they wanted to do something legal, it would take longer to start the wheels turning than the time it sits at home right before I go on a trip or come home.

Hail and storms are always present in the midwest so I do get a lot of comfort knowing the Classic is tucked away. I also like the fact that I can control the parking of the trailer in and out of the garage. Local indoor storage facility's park your trailer for you with a tractor. Outside storage facilities let you park but the margin for error is small since you are parked close together.

Here's a picture of my Classic parked next to its stable mate, affectionately named by its owner, Large Marge. Next to Marge is "Alex" the Argosy.

My only concern is if my friend would ever sell her place. I'd hate to have to put the trailer in an outdoor facility.

Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0251.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	316.4 KB
ID:	281954   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0202.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	281955  

AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:50 PM   #42
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
What you need to do is buy an airplane. Then you will need a hanger and problem solved
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:57 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Conundrum: RV Garage or Paid for Storage in Phoenix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbaldwin View Post
We are taking delivery of a new FC 25A next month. In parallel, we are buying/building a new house in Phoenix, AZ. So, I'm vetting building the house with 1) an expensive attached RV Garage (about $45K) or 2) finding local covered/powered storage. (There are multiple options for such storage facilities in the area). So, financially, it's a question of a long term expenditure as a sunk cost (about $20K over ten years) vs. adding the RV garage w/ it's huge door as part of the house price, but a real estate asset. Has anyone experienced this particular process/dilema? What was your decision mechanism and outcome? My objective, obviously, is to protect my new Airstream from the Arizona sun, but w/ the added garage, our options are dramatically reduced for selecting areas for such a new home. Thanks!

To me there is not a question. If you can afford the addition to your home, and it can be included in a architecturally pleasing way, the convenience and guarantee that no one will be messing with your baby is worth it. I'm about to add one to my home. I live on the water an would like to protect our Rosie from the salt air.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:18 PM   #44
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Since we have a lot of positive votes for a garage, maybe it's time to expand the discussion. Anyone have a recommendation for washing the rig before storage. Might be an issue worth considering in the design. Inside vs outside spray area, drainage vs runoff, and the value of doing it off site or with buckets would all be interesting topics of discussion. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:30 AM   #45
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Apache Junction , Arizona
RV Garage in Phoenix Area

Yes to the garage.
I built my house 8 years ago knowing that I would be buying / restoring a vintage AS one day. I built an attached RV garage (40ftx20ft), 16ft ceiling, 14ft tall opening with double garage door. RV garages are allowed in my HOA if they are attached to the house. Having the AS in the garage makes it very convenient to work on it. I live in the Phoenix area and you are welcome to come by if you like and take a look.
Pete
plbalza54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:52 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
We built a new home in Boulder City, Nevada. We have a three car garage and the RV garage added 24' wide x 42' long x 14' tall. With the Phoenix and southern Nevada Summer temperatures of 100 to 120F, you are cooking your Airstream interior.

A neighbor is now building his RV Garage himself... and it will cost him more. His RV is out in the Mohave Desert sun one year... and he regrets not spending the extra money when it could have been included and designed with one side open to the automobiles and garage. Great storage options when your narrow Airstream is comfortable in its small area needed.

But... we overbuilt our RV Garage front door for larger RV clearances as many Snow Birds are moving south with large RV's and Buses. We also added a rear door to back the Airstream out into our back lot, onto pavers added for this purpose for access to the back yard and to wash the trailer, if ever necessary.

We added five small 2 foot x 1 foot windows for Free lighting. Lights up the entire garage and RV garage. More high windows for light, and security as no one can access the windows to look inside.

Since we are moving from 5 acres to .52 acres every added square foot for storage is great. One neighbor has an RV garage just for storage.

This is a big resale point in southern Nevada, having a RV Garage. The cost for interior storage is a great investment of interior space. Space is in short supply with limited building lot sizes. The 'added cost' is worth every dollar 'invested'. You have control of your Airstream at home and the convenience is worth the extra cost.

Add appropriate electrical outlets and ceiling lighting. Some even have theirs Air Conditioned. We did not as it is the sunlight that is damaging. Insulate the walls and ceiling to maximum standards. If your lot is limited in width... fill it. Match the home exterior. Concrete floor. Insulated doors! You will not regret it. Some people put in electric fans to circulate air during the evening hours, if needed.

Our current home has a door that is 10 feet tall, 10 feet wide and 35 feet long for our trailer added to a four car garage. We had 5 acres to work with. For the price you quoted... and what it would cost to rent similar facility... OWN IT YOURSELF! Great for resale and you can baby that trailer when getting ready for that next trip!
Old 04-09-2017, 12:24 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
As with post #45, the interior ceiling is probably 16 feet high. Some use a 'Trailer Port' which protects the trailer from the Sun and is exposed on the sides. Those can be done to match the construction and design of the home.

Photo #2 I had just backed our 25 foot International with our Tundra with room to spare for a longer RV, if we sell some day. One of five windows can be seen for lighting.

First photo has the 10 foot garage door height in Colorado and heated.
Second photo has the 14 foot garage door height in Nevada.
Ceiling within are probably 16 feet and most likely advised.

Our Colorado home has a long driveway and we have room to turn the trailer and tow vehicle around to back the trailer into the garage. The Nevada home is an easy back into the garage. Love them both!

The two Trailer Garages fit well with either home. I include photos this time:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN4795.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	464.1 KB
ID:	283066   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4552.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	432.3 KB
ID:	283067  

Old 04-14-2017, 12:10 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Queen Creek , Arizona
Solution, Queen Creek , AZ

Here's the solution: Large attached RV garage including electrical, water hookups and dump station.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3610.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	317.6 KB
ID:	283401  
rbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote