Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2019, 11:22 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Mount Pleasant , Michigan
Compressor Winterizing AS Method

I would like to blow out the lines on my 2019 19' Flying Cloud. I would like to use either the Viair 400P-RV Automatic Compressor (150psi / 2.30 CFM, 33% duty cycle @ 100psi) or the Viair 450P-RV Automatic Compressor (150psi / 1.80 CFM, 100% duty cycle @ 100psi) along with the Viair RV Winterization Kit which allows me to regulate the max psi output.

The owners manual states to:
  • put 50psi to the city inlet
  • open all drain valves, faucets, & toilet valve
  • Make sure water pump outlet is disconnected

I question having everything open all at once as it would seem difficult to create enough pressure? I would prefer to open one drain or faucet at a time and blow out each line separately, would this be the better method? If so, would I be able to have the water pump outlet disconnected or would that be a constant pressure release? Will it cause damage to blow out the lines through the city connection with the water pump still hooked up?

Lastly, which compressor of these two would work best? If doing line by line is preferred I would assume the 400 would be best with a higher CMF rate? However, if opening all the lines at once with a constant flow is preferred I would think the 450 would be better with a 100% duty cycle?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!!
TrailDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I blow the lines opening one faucet at a time without disconnecting the water pump. I also run antifreeze through. If you don't use antifreeze, make sure you clear your water pump.

Search and you'll find a whole lot of stuff on winterizing.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
"winterizing compressor only" search results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=wint...=airforums.com
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:06 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Mount Pleasant , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post
I blow the lines opening one faucet at a time without disconnecting the water pump. I also run antifreeze through. If you don't use antifreeze, make sure you clear your water pump.

Search and you'll find a whole lot of stuff on winterizing.
Thanks! I want to do just air as needed to camp late in the season when temps start to dip then add antifreeze on the last go around when I shut it down for winter. Definitely have already seen a lot of methods searching the web!!
TrailDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:17 PM   #5
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
You open all the faucets before opening the low point drains. This will create a siphon effect when the LP drains are opened and evacuate most of the water. The air is used for the little bit remaining. One tap at a time is fine. If you have the under sink filter remove it to and replace with the AS supplied straight section of PEX.

Be sure and get the toilet valve, outside shower and pump filter.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Take time blowing out the lines going around to each faucet a couple times. Make sure there's no water coming out each. Like said, don't forget outside. I always follow the manual and it's instructions even though not real clear.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:14 PM   #7
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
If you open the furtherest valve first each time you will get more moisture out of the lines. I made up a hose with M/F hose fittings and a shut off valve so I could purge the cold water coming back to the pump to a drain. Then put the hose on the pump to pump it dry. Finally, open all valves and run air through the system for a while to dry it. There are two school of thought about leaving the valves open or closed. One is: if you leave the valves open, the valve seats will corrode and cause leaks. The other: if you leave them closed, any residual water cold freeze and cause damage.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote