Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
Fulltime, 30' classic,

2006 30' Classic
green cove springs , Full-Time Airstreamers
Compressor Question

I'm trying to find a way to get double duty from my equipment and am wondering if blowing out the lines for Winter can be accomplished by either; reversing a wet/dry vac., or one of those portable battery powered compressors that can also be used for tire inflation and (depending on the model) jumping off your vehicle. I have a 2006 Safari that has the pex water lines.

Thanks
RivetNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Neither will have the rapidly delivered volume of air necessary to displace the water. You will see water come out but to complete the job you want to see droplets insuring you have moved all the water from the low points.

If you have access to a standard 5 gallon air tank, or go to Wal Mart and get one for $30.00, take that to a garage and that will be enough air

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by RivetNV View Post
I'm trying to find a way to get double duty from my equipment and am wondering if blowing out the lines for Winter can be accomplished by either; reversing a wet/dry vac., or one of those portable battery powered compressors that can also be used for tire inflation and (depending on the model) jumping off your vehicle. I have a 2006 Safari that has the pex water lines.

Thanks
The wet/dry vac has the volume, but not the pressure. The tire inflation pump has the pressure, but lacks the volume needed.

You need volume under pressure which can only be provided from a storage tank of air. Whether it is a stand alone tank filled elsewhere, or a tank connected to a compressor, that's what you need.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
It is not a good idea to provide more than 50 psi to the water system so you need to limit the compressor.

Blowing air still won't get low spots and some interior voids in mixing valves and such things.

Air also won't get your water pump protected.

There is also the problem of air purity - do you really know what you are blowing through your water lines?
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:30 PM   #5
Fulltime, 30' classic,

2006 30' Classic
These are great insights. Thank you so much. Additional question. if I get a regular electric air compressor, is a one gallon enough? I'm am considering space more than cost here. Also, are there any special considerations, besides being oil free, regarding the purchase of a compressor?
Old 11-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
I would "NOT" blow or put air under pressure in your system... I would follow the owners manual on the correct way to winterize your system. I believe that you could do damage to some of your "fittings and such" in pumps, water heater, ext... Bryanl also makes a very great point on blowing bad air into your system. Remember you drink out of this system! It would seam you are over think this one! If a little bit of water is left in your system that is really ok... I try to make sure there is little to no water in pumps and water heater (the working part of the systems).
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:30 PM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The owner's manual for my 2008 says to blow out the system with a compressor. Call Airstream and they will tell you the same thing.

Use an oil less compressor. When you de-winterize next year, use a mixture of Clorox in water as the owner's manual will tell you to sanitize the system, then flush at least 3 times. That clean out everything. You might do the same thing again in mid summer.

We mostly carry distilled water with us for drinking anyway. Some CG's water may not be trustworthy.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:01 AM   #8
Fulltime, 30' classic,

2006 30' Classic
All great information. Thanks very much.