Old 03-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
North Providence , Rhode Island

I am looking to find a relatively portable compressor to blow out my lines for winter. I would like to be able to take it to warm climes on occasion, but would have to blow the lines out on my return to New England if before mid April. Any suggestions?

mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
I was looking into this myself last year...

Air Compressor on generator? - Airstream Forums

It's not optimal, but it should work for what you're looking for

boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Over the years I have had some failures blowing out lines due to condensate in low spots. I now pump pink antfreeze into the lines when coming back to cold climates and have never had a failure. I carry a spare water pump for filling the water tank when boondocking, so I don't have to hold up big water jugs and use the same pump to winterize when needed. I can winterize in about 10 minutes. (water heater is bypassed)
I do carry a truck air 12 volt compressor, but it would be a long process to blow out lines along the roadside with this unit
Rick Davis 1602 K8DOC
61 tradewind, plus a few others
13 Ram 2500 TD
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you buy a compressor you will want one with at least a 1 gallon tank. You need a delivery of not only pressure but volume to blow the lines. If you use a compressor do not just apply and leave full pressure on the lines. Hit it with a series of short burst because the water will not flow out as fast as air. As you start to reduce the volume of water in the lines longer burst can be applied.

Now that said when we come home while it is still freezing at home we stop at a truck stop and blow the lines and install the antifreeze before we cross into the colder areas. In our case we can then make it home that day. You might end up in a motel one night.
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
. , .
hi mok

many threads with EXAMPLES, user reports and pictures of what is being utilized here ...

key issue for the water lines is buy one that does NOT have oil/petro internally lubricating the pump/chamber...

because THAT oil gets SPRAYED via the hose into the water lines is nasty and HARD to remove.

these will keep ya busy and u should find SOMETHING that meets your needs...

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote