Old 10-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Fort Collins , Colorado
This is a timely thread for me. Saturday I am heading out from the Colorado Front Range and heading over to Fruita and then Moab for 9 days. I'm not too concerned about the night time temps here or there and I will be running the heater while using the camper. However, I expect to be driving in 20 degree temperatures for 3 hours or more each way going through the high mountains.

I don't plan on filling the water tank until I get there and will drain it before heading back. What other precautions can be taken short of full winterizing? If I ran the heater at 70 or so overnight before traveling would the residual heat be enough to keep the lines from freezing?

Thanks!

Old 10-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
Monroe , Washington
Any suggestions for the Seattle area? We have to park ours (2012 International Bambi 16') at storage place. It's not covered and there is no electric. We are looking around for a new place, though. We don't want to winterize it for long term yet, maybe not at all. We can still do weekends on the Sound throughout the winter. We don't get the months of freezing temps and snow here. But every now and then it goes below 30 for several days.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #17
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Jinkers, we just stayed near Aspen in the Aspen-Basalt RV park last weekend (as most of the Forest Service campgrounds near Aspen are now closed.) We totally winterized before heading there but it wasn't necessary. Their water outlets are sunken in pits below ground. You might just detach your hose at night if you don't have insulation for it and keep your cupboard doors open if you expect freezing temperatures.

We drove through Fruita on Wednesday,and inquired about their average winter temps. at the visitor center, and you shouldn't encounter any severe frosts while you are there. We are now in Moab, and slept last night with the outer door open, it was that warm.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I wouldn't be too concerned if you were only looking at frost warnings. Frost is not the same as a deep freeze. It should not cause any water lines to get cold enough to be a problem. I like the idea of a space heater and running the heat as a blower only. Good idea on that one. I will have to keep that thought in mind.

Space heaters work great, as long as they have electricity or don't stop working due to mechanical failure. That happened to the PO and resulted in burst lines and HWH tank. Taking an air tank with or small compressor should let you blow the lines at will - this would reduce the chances of freeze damage.
tvanwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #19
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by quilter View Post
Any suggestions for the Seattle area? We have to park ours (2012 International Bambi 16') at storage place. It's not covered and there is no electric. We are looking around for a new place, though. We don't want to winterize it for long term yet, maybe not at all. We can still do weekends on the Sound throughout the winter. We don't get the months of freezing temps and snow here. But every now and then it goes below 30 for several days.
You apparently know the risks or you wouldn't ask the question. Several days below thirty with no heat will freeze your plumbing. It is simply a question of do you want to take the risks. You can't run the furnace because the heater fan will run the battery down in a couple days or sooner. As far as I can see your choices are:

Take the gamble it won't be that cold, and if it comes up in the forecast, go winterize it right then.

Winterize it now and totally dry camp the rest of the winter.

Ignore the winter and see if you get lucky.

Winterize it after each time you use it.

Some combination of the above

Ken
Old 10-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
Monroe , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Take the gamble it won't be that cold, and if it comes up in the forecast, go winterize it right then.

Winterize it now and totally dry camp the rest of the winter.

Ignore the winter and see if you get lucky.

Winterize it after each time you use it.

Some combination of the above

Ken
If I were just willing to go with lucky...

Of course, that's why Seattle shuts down with two inches of snow. Because, maybe this year, it won't snow.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #21
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by quilter View Post
If I were just willing to go with lucky...

Of course, that's why Seattle shuts down with two inches of snow. Because, maybe this year, it won't snow.
I understand. I lived in the Puget Sound area for the first 50 years of my life.

Ken