Old 10-06-2007, 02:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Thread hijacked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wiltrakis
Jim -
Good for you and good for Corvallis!! I have a friend there who works for HP, who has long-talked about Airstream ownership. If it ever happens, I'll send him your way.
Before I moved out of town and became a barn owner, my Boston Whaler shared hangar space with a twin engine plane. That enclosure could have easily accommodated a 34' Airstream alongside the plane. It was secure, weather tight, and available 24/7. I like the barn in the back yard better for my trailers, but shared space in an airport hangar might work for a lot of Airstream owners. It surely is preferable to open lot storage, especially in the wet Northwest. Having grown up in a Chicago suburb, I'd give that recommendation an order-of-magnitude boost in dealing with winter conditions there. Regards -
Mark
If this isn't a thread hijacking.....then I don't know what to call it!

Hi Mark,

How's retirement treating you? There is life out there beyond medicine (human or veterinary)! We missed you at BB this year.....we had room!

The airstrip my hangar was associated with was loving called Philomath International Airport........and after a couple of planes clipped the trees at the end of the runway and didn't make it....... it shut down!

I'm trying to get a 4th AS in there (it would be cool if I had all 13 stalls with AS's) from a couple who have a 62 22' Safari,(Skitiger on the forums). He wants to complete his renovation under cover....since it leaks. How's your 59 24' TW coming along.......I hope you've had time between fly fishing excursions.

We can't get no 34'ers in there.....but if they'll pay me enought money I'll knock a wall out and we'll park er' sideways!

BTW......Thanks for the "word of mouth" advertising.........I have two spaces open for the winter months.

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:10 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Welcome to the Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishByFly
I will be relocating to the Chicago area and have a few questions.

First, I'm looking for a place to store our 30' trailer. I really would like it to be covered storage. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Next, coming from the deep South, winterizing seems to be a bit more critical. Is there anything more that I need to do? In Central Texas I don't pull the batteries but in Illinois it seems to be necessary.

Lastly, this will be new territory for the family to explore. Where should we start?
Winterizing for up here means anti-freeze in the plumbing, circulating then pressure blowing the plumbing as well as getting the batteries out. If you know anyone in the vicinity that may know of a rural machine shed, you can get great rates on some of them.

As to exploring, try Wisconsin, may illini consider it Illinois largest state park. Try the Lake Michigan Shore line and the Cherry blossoms in Door County (the thumb part) are great....getting a bit touristy. My personal favorite for Spring is around a town called Gays Mills There is one ridge top road that all you can see is pink and white when the apple orchards are in bloom. It is hill country so don't try to pull with something tha doesn't have an engine.

SW Wisconsin & NW Illinois (old lead mining country) around Galena is also cool, but still in the hills. Up around NW Dane County you can canoe the Wisconsin River (fast current though) sand bar camping is a riot but it is tough pulling the AS through twenty feet of water to get to the sand bar!

Read the threads on winterizing. First empty the water tank, a little bit of water remaining in it doesn't hurt it. I recomend starting with a half tank of water. Add a half gallon of Chlorox then fill the tank. Then empty the tank (trust me on this one, it will keep tank mold to a minimum). Turn the water heater to by pass and empty the water heater. After you empty the tank and the heater , do run anti-freeze (food grade type) through the plumbing,(don't put antifreeze in your water tank unless for some reason you have to, it has a sweet flavor ). Leave the water heater at bypass, it does not need the antifreez if you drained it. Disconect the pump on the intake side to draw antifreeze into the plumbing while by passing the tank. Run each fixture unti antifreeze comes out. This will also put antifreeze in your traps....which is good . Rv shops have plugs you can buy to blow out the system, get one.

Next get an air tank, put the blow out plug on the city water intake. Re-conect your pump intake side and if you can, disocnnect it just before the backflow prevention valve if there is one installed, otherwise, just at the output side of the pump (put a jug or something under the hose. Now charge the system wiht about 45 Lbs of air and blow out the remaining antifreeze.

What you have left is mostly dry lines and where water would accumulate you have antifreeze. You traps now hve antifreeze in them as dowe the bottom of the waste tanks, you can empty them now and reconnect the pump. The little remainng water in your main tank will have some residuel Chlorine in it that will keep the tank univiting.

Next -- no food items, no valuables and set mouse traps, and yes take the batteries out. Be sure to top the charge a couple of times during the winter. They will leak a couple of percentage pints just sitting there.

It is a good time to rinse down your sewer hoses with a bleach water mix. I would also run a light bleach water mix through the external (the rubber one) city water hose and blow it out.

This all goes well if you make this a ritual. Each step shoud be accompanied by beer and more beer when you are done....not part of the ceremony, it is to celebrate getting done.

One last thing! You are from Texas...if you are a Dallas Cowboy's fan be sure to wear your team colors in the fall. If you are not get a Gren Bay Packers Jacket. It will make you stand out and get noticed right away in Chicago .

Welcome to the midwest

Old 10-06-2007, 08:19 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
One more thing

One more item. Look up the threads on storage and jacking. I put jacks on my axel plate and lift a few hundred pounds off the axel load. That is supposed to make your torsion axel last longer and helps prevent memory from setting into the rubber parts.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishByFly
[COLOR=black]I will be relocating to the Chicago area and have a few questions. I'm looking for a place to store our 30' trailer. I really would like it to be covered storage. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
FishByFly... ever find that elusive Chicago area indoor storage solution? I thought the airport hangar was a brilliant idea, and wondered if you ever had any traction with that plan.

That description of winterizing sounds like a major pain compared with heated indoor storage (obviously) but I suppose you get used to workin' with what you've got.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:00 PM   #19
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
I had to make new arrangements to store my AS. The owner of the property that I had been storing just died and the family is slowly trying to empty their lot for possible sale, and they are not renewing leases, except month to month. I really liked this place plus it was pretty close to me.

I did some research and found a place in Palatine. The fellow is just starting to get RV's boats, etc for fill a mostly vacant gigantic lot. His rates are reasonable, and right now there is PLENTY of room. A nice guy and he has a wonderful dog too.

This is an open area, now gates, but when I went to visit yesterday, I felt comfortable with the set up, so I'm going with it. From Chicago (near Fullerton) it is about 29 miles.

If anyone is interested, PM me and I can give you his info.

Jonathan
Old 03-12-2008, 02:58 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Lev, nice legwork. Palatine isn't that far from me... might take a drive out there and check it out, too. PM me the details when you can.

Wow, if enough Airstreamers park there, maybe we can get our own section with velvet ropes, park our trailers on big oriental rugs, and hold rallies right there in the lot.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:13 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Oak Park , Illinois
chicago storage more

I've been out driving looking for opportunities. I did locate a few last weekend. I'm now trying to determine costs. These were located in fully enclosed warehouse type spaces that were easy to access from several major roadways.

This weekend I was back in Texas. We took the family out for a long weekend in the airstream. Beautiful weather. Sunny and in the eighties. Even got to wear shorts and watch some college baseball.

2005 30' Safari Bunkhouse
2010 F250 Lariat
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:01 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Keep us posted on the indoor options, FishByFly. Winter is when I'd most need storage anyhow, (already having a spot during warm months) and a heated indoor winter home would be nothing short of spectacular.

I went out and looked at Crazylev's discovery in Palatine today. Looks pretty good, and priced well for what else is out there. Nice owner, too.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:09 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Here's another Chicago area option I found this weekend on Craigslist. Outdoors only, from what I gather.

In Northbrook, in a lot that backs up to the back of Home Depot.
Prices start at $60 a month for short trailers, up to $110 for large RV's.

You can PM me for the contact info, I don't want to post it here.
That is all!
Old 07-12-2008, 06:45 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Went out to my storage lot in Northbrook last night, and noticed I got a new AS neighbor within the last few weeks.

Anybody here storing up that way with a Safari LS? It looked great, and was my first opportunity to have a look at that bulky, over-engineered, incredibly well-built thing of beauty that is a Hensley hitch.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:13 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Oak Park , Illinois
Brad,
That is our 30' Safari bunkhouse. Not sure if you checked out that Hensley hitch setup. Part of what looks so bulky is the fact that I leave my RockTamers connected when in storage. I can say it does pull rather nicely.

I followed up on this storage location based on your recommendation. In fact, I was out there this afternoon doing a bit of prep work for a future trip. I still would like to find enclosed winter storage. I keep seeing vacate warehouse space. Just need to find someone that is looking for a little monthly cash.

Thank you for this recommendation.

2005 30' Safari Bunkhouse
2010 F250 Lariat
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote