Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Can't find covered storage in Denver ~ Starting to panic

Hi all,

I appreciate any advise you might have for this newbie. I have tried Adam's County Storage and Freedom RV and they are sold out and have a lengthy waiting list. Ugggg. We are about to put a deposit on our new AS and I'm starting to panic. Does anyone know of a storage spot in or around the Denver metro area? We are in Arvada. Or know someone who might want to make a buck each month who might have storage on their property? Our HOA only allows an RV in front of our home for 48 hrs. No help there
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Aside from moving, I don't know of a place to go. With the frequent hailstorms along the Front Range, a covered place to park it is important. Can you put up a pole barn on your property to protect it?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Aside from moving, I don't know of a place to go. With the frequent hailstorms along the Front Range, a covered place to park it is important. Can you put up a pole barn on your property to protect it?

Gene
Hi Gene, nope~we can't have anything in this neighborhood. At least the neighborhood is neat and tidy but, when it comes to this, that is when it becomes a pain. I just spoke to a guy all the way in Centennial and he said just make it through the winter and snag a spot in the summer when the hail is the problem. His spaces are for the big boys and start at $550 per month, can you imagine??

Honestly, I am kind of freaking out. I have been looking all this year and now finally we found our unit and I'm ready to buy and don't want to put the deposit down until I'm sure to find a place to store it. UGGGGG. Not happy right now
Air #62992
Old 10-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Have the dealer hold it on there lot until spring.
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Have you looked in Boulder, Longmont, Palmer and Monument, and any other places further away? How about Evergreen? The hail there isn't as severe, although you may be shoveling it out in May.

$550/month tells me there is little supply and a lot of demand. Monthly storage in Santa Fe (where nothing it cheap) runs around $100/month, though I haven't seen any covered storage there. But they don't have the hail Denver does either.

Are you buying from the local dealer?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Anna,
What did you and Paul finally decide on? The Easter rally is on for next year, come on down and join us.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoodtx
Anna,
What did you and Paul finally decide on? The Easter rally is on for next year, come on down and join us.
Hi Bruce! We decided on a 2012 International Signature 27'!! Just need to find a place to store it and work out financing. Will keep you posted and yes, next Easter sounds like a blast,,
Air #62992
Old 10-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
This where we store ours. Not very convenient to Arvada, but it is a nice place owned and run by friendly helpful people.

Recreational RV storage boat storage travel trailer storage motorhome storage

Ken

I just noticed that I can see the very front of our trailer in one of their photos.
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts
This where we store ours. Not very convenient to Arvada, but it is a nice place owned and run by friendly helpful people.

Ken

I just noticed that I can see the very front of our trailer in one of their photos.
Thank you so ,much, Ken! Do you have covered storage? I will call them in the morning!!
Air #62992
Old 10-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Bird View Post
Thank you so ,much, Ken! Do you have covered storage? I will call them in the morning!!
Yes,
Our is covered. It is a 40 foot long space because our trailer would stick out a bit in a 30 foot space. We are between a giant Motor home and monster 5th wheel so we have a lot of protection. If if the roof fell in, it would never reach the airstream.

If you look at the bottom picture in the facility photo section of their web site, you can see the front of our trailer second from the right. You would not have been able to see it all if the motor home next to us had been there that day.
Ken
Old 10-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post

Ken

Hi Ken, I called and they are sold out of the covered spaces and put me on a waiting list. So, there are several before me and she said she doesn't think anyone is leaving anytime soon. This is what I am hearing all over town. But, I may just have to take the outside space in hopes that if I'm already a client, I could sneak into a covered spot. They are WAY cheaper than the other locations I am looking at closer to home. Will have to figure out if the gas/time being quite a bit aways is a better savings than paying higher but, being close to home. I am really getting desperate. uggggg.
Air #62992
Old 10-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Do you have a small municipal airport nearby? One that handles private planes only? Many of those have hangars for rent, and I've never seen any regulations that say you have to own a plane to rent a hangar.

Can't say for sure that you'll find a hangar for rent big enough for your trailer, but it can't hurt to look, right?
Old 10-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Bird View Post
Hi Ken, I called and they are sold out of the covered spaces and put me on a waiting list. So, there are several before me and she said she doesn't think anyone is leaving anytime soon. This is what I am hearing all over town. But, I may just have to take the outside space in hopes that if I'm already a client, I could sneak into a covered spot. They are WAY cheaper than the other locations I am looking at closer to home. Will have to figure out if the gas/time being quite a bit aways is a better savings than paying higher but, being close to home. I am really getting desperate. uggggg.
I was afraid that might be the case. I guess the commuting costs are all dependent on how often you will go back and forth. It is about a 2-3 mile drive for us. We have covenants here but they have been ignored for so long that they are no longer enforceable, and thank goodness, there is no HOA. I would move to a shack in the woods before I would subject myself to that. I can and do keep the trailer here at times. However it is a nuisance jockeying the cars around, because the driveway is only wide enough for the Airstream and one car. It is long enough for 2 cars in single file and 4 in the garage and carport. We don't have that many though. I am also paranoid about hail, although we have lived here for a few months short of twenty years and only had one hail storm that would have possibly caused any damage to the trailer. That was about 16 years ago. Around here, the closer to the foothills you get, the less likely it is to get damaging hail. We are probably about 5 miles from the base of the foothills and the RV storage is due south of us. The storm that had the large hail here was some freak thing that came at us from the southeast.

Ken
Old 10-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #14
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
craigslist finding

found this in ft collins:

LIQUIDPOWERSPORTS.COM
970-420-5451
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #15
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
broomfield airport

yep, hangar idea is good; check out the broomfield airport
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
Hanger Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Do you have a small municipal airport nearby? One that handles private planes only? Many of those have hangars for rent, and I've never seen any regulations that say you have to own a plane to rent a hangar.

Can't say for sure that you'll find a hangar for rent big enough for your trailer, but it can't hurt to look, right?
At my airport you need to have plane to get a hanger. I've seen big hangers that they share space. I pay $250 for mine. A shared hanger would be around $100 a per month. So call your airport and ask about group hanger space.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hanger.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	703.9 KB
ID:	169492

Ace in PA
aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Here on the east edge of the Phoenix sprawl, a 41' under roof lighted with electrical outlet space is $155 per month. Pay in advance and price can drop to $120 per month. A more open 30' space is $115 per month before discounts. Place is about 8 miles away off a dual lane limited access highway. That translates to less than 15 minutes away. Our HOA does not allow on street parking of any kind after 10:00pm at night. That is a real pain in the anatomy.

Our new trailer is nearly as long as the lot is wide on the street edge, so I can not even think about parking diagonally on the drive.

My preferred storage friends that are even closer have a long waiting list for covered spaces. I made sure I had covered storage under contract before pulling the trigger on a trailer. The sun and heat are rough on everything here in the summer.
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1998 19' Bambi
Parkville , Missouri
Here in Kansas City we have underground RV storage in the lime stone mines (AKA the "Cave") no worry about hail, uv damage, etc and no need to winterize as our Bambi is at a constant 62f in the "cave" annual cost is $625
MoBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Here on the east edge of the Phoenix sprawl, a 41' under roof lighted with electrical outlet space is $155 per month. Pay in advance and price can drop to $120 per month. A more open 30' space is $115 per month before discounts. Place is about 8 miles away off a dual lane limited access highway. That translates to less than 15 minutes away. Our HOA does not allow on street parking of any kind after 10:00pm at night. That is a real pain in the anatomy.

Our new trailer is nearly as long as the lot is wide on the street edge, so I can not even think about parking diagonally on the drive.

My preferred storage friends that are even closer have a long waiting list for covered spaces. I made sure I had covered storage under contract before pulling the trigger on a trailer. The sun and heat are rough on everything here in the summer.
Our HOA is the same. No RV's more than 48 hrs. and it's just killing me that I have to pay for storage. Then to boot, I can't find any place that has covered. The waiting lists are very long. I figure, I'll try to find a close spot and pay for the outdoor and maybe once I'm a client, I will go ahead of folks on the waiting list that aren't customers. That is just a "hope" of course!

I will for sure look into the airport as the Rocky Mt. Airport is so close to our home. That would be AMAZING. Thanks to all for the responses and recommendations. Greatly appreciated.
Air #62992
Old 10-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Great news!!! I received a call today from Adam's Country Storage (7 miles from home) they just had a covered spot open up yesterday. We just put a deposit down today and it's ours. There were many AS's there and this spot is well protected with a large Motorhome on one side and an AS on the other, right in the middle. So happy I can't tell you. One major item off of our checklist. Now, we just need to close on Thursday, drive across the country and pick her up. Wish us luck. Thanks to everyone who responded. I greatly appreciate your time as always!!!
Air #62992