Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Can I charge my drained interstate batteries?

I was bad and let my deep cycle interstate batteries drain this winter. I just hooked up a nice trickle charger and it indicates they have less than 3 volts charge so the warning light lit up.

When the deep cycles are that low, is it possible to recharge them or worth a shot? They are from 2008.

Assuming the answer from the responses is no, any recommendations on where to buy the same model cheaply?

Thanks.
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
If they are gel it worth a shot but you will not be able to use a trickle charger. Disconnect the batteries from your electrical system, then using jumper cables, you can raise the charge level high enough using another running vehicle. You probably cut their lifespan in half.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpe01 View Post
If they are gel it worth a shot but you will not be able to use a trickle charger. Disconnect the batteries from your electrical system, then using jumper cables, you can raise the charge level high enough using another running vehicle. You probably cut their lifespan in half.
They are not gel. They are the original interstate lead acid batteries.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Sault ste Marie , Ontario
You never know till you try. Ive had batteries come back from flat and still got a number of years out of them. I think it was an exception though, generally if you kill them they are never the same after. I'd charge it and then do a good capacity check and go from there....Good luck.....Phil.
pgr32e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
There is nothing worse you can do to shorten life battery

You always want to keep the batteries charged up, protects lead,acid and from freezing. Only deep cycles can bounce back from deep discharge. Sorry to tell you there are only handful of real deepcycles made. Real ones only state amp hour no cranking info. One's in AS are going to be dual purpose, hi breed of starting battery and real deep cycle. DC are heavy Trogan makes real ones,lifeline,rolls and some reports East Penn Dekas maybe. One way to get real DCs that do not cost arm and leg go Golf cart batteries. For sure put a charge on ones you have right now going to take 12hours to charge lol. Also if you need new ones head over Walmart get marine batteries they have size 27 DC and 29 it's heavy sucker. Have had good results without any hassles buying new battery. I am running WM 29 as starting battery for boat and East Penn deka for trolling motors in size 31. One way to tell quality is by weight. If you want Deka brands batteries plus has some good ones. Also during winter it is good idea to trickle charge them they can loose 5 % charge each month just sitting. Believe it or not fully discharged battery will have water inside, though I would not drink it.
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Look down the side of the batteries. If they are bulged out they probably were froze. Chances are good that they are shot if they are bulged out.
Can't hurt anything to try and charge them, but they may not hold a charge for long.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I and a few other's on this forum, have noted that the batteries usually only last about three years; Time to buy new batteries.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
After 30 months of medium use, my OEM group 27 Interstate's were shot.

Not sure if it was the Airstream parallax converter/charger, lousy batteries, or both. I'm not convinced those were true 'deep cycle', anyway...

Replaced with a pair of group 31
Old 03-19-2012, 07:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Batteries that sit dead for long periods of time sulfate up. You might get them to charge again but they lost some life. If they were true deep cycle batteries your chances are better. Get you a real battery charger and give it a try. Harbor Freight has some chargers and they are supposed to have a de-sulfate mode. I think this is just high bursts of current to cook off the sulfate. When car batteries go a cell usually shorts. If you pull the caps you can usually see plates that are warped and falling apart which is a sign that they are not long for this world.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
using a maintenance charger that desulfates the plates will keep the batteries good for years. I use a BatteryMinder plus. It has saved a lot in battery replacements cost.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
After 30 months of medium use, my OEM group 27 Interstate's were shot.

Not sure if it was the Airstream parallax converter/charger, lousy batteries, or both. I'm not convinced those were true 'deep cycle', anyway...

Replaced with a pair of group 31
Where did you buy this replacement and what specs did you look for when replacing them? I am not a battery expert but if I am going to spring for new batts, I'd like to get good ones that have the best power possible. Any guidance on what specs to look for would be helpful everyone!

Thanks
Old 03-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
bong'

I picked them up at an 'Auto Value' center here: Tekonsha, Michigan (MI) | Auto Parts Store | Courtesy Car & truck (USA)

Nothing fancy. Basic deep cycle, flooded lead acid. To be honest, all I looked for was the biggest thing that would fit my battery box
These measure 6-5/8"w x 12-3/4"L x 8-1/2"h

The fact that they weight just shy of 70lbs a piece (and not maintenance free), was a good sign.

The pic shows them on my 3 stage charger- when winterized.
This one: Guest 2 bank 10 amp per bank, battery type charger
Old 03-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
Maybe you have advance auto near by

There is always $40 off $100 coupon floating around retailmenot. They do not ship batteries so pickup only item. With coupon you can score Deka DC in size 27 or 31 for cheap. 3% charge is almost futile to try charge but worth a shot. There are few options on batteries but interstates are not that great, they were 20 years ago. Ok here is link $89 plus core add something $10 then get $40 off. Say's dual purpose same as interstate, real DC would be my preference though. They would work as long keep them charge 100percent

Buy Autocraft Marine 12-Volt Marine/RV Dual-Purpose Service Battery 31DP-6 at Advance Auto Parts This is big size 31 will need new 31 box
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
A suggestion is to hook them up to a battery discharger, most golf car dealers have one. Run the discharge down to zero and then hook them up to a real charger and let them try to take a full charge. If the cells were dry OR the batteries were frozen over the winter don't waste your time, dispose of them and get new ones.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
How much do you require your batteries? Boondock alot, buy new - always plugged into power, then you need enough to activate the trailer brakes if you disconnect in case of an emergency and that's about it!
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:02 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Thanks, everyOne. Finally decided to just bite the bullet and get new batteries and a trickle charger since they installed electricity at our storage unit. I got a charger that desulfates so hopefully this will be a good setup going forward.

Thanks for all the input!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
I just recharged my batteries from winter storage (did pull them out of the trailer) and found a LOT of very helpful information at this web site about batteries, chargers, etc. None of my batteries, chargers, testers, etc. came with anywhere near this level of useful information.

Deep Cycle Battery FAQ

Good luck with your batteries. Mine came up to charge, but I do need to find a way to keep them refreshed during the storage seasons.
Pat.Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
good decision. I am sure there is a lot of good information in this thread. But not mentioned is the fact that batteries are heavy, dirty to fool with and haul back and forth to a charger, and that even if you do all that the batteries are near the end of their life and damaged anyway. Awful easy to slide 2 new ones in there to start with.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote