Old 11-05-2019, 07:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2000 19' Bambi
MIDDLETOWN , RI
blowing out hot water lines

For my circumstances blowing out the water lines is enough(plus antifreeze in drains). i ordered a blow out plug from Amazon & see how that could take care of cold water lines. I there one or two places to blow out the warm water lines(in addition to draining the hot water tank)

GaryRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryRI View Post
For my circumstances blowing out the water lines is enough(plus antifreeze in drains). i ordered a blow out plug from Amazon & see how that could take care of cold water lines. I there one or two places to blow out the warm water lines(in addition to draining the hot water tank)

Pressurize the system and run both hot and cold faucets and shower. So, in the shower, I start with cold and them move faucet to hot. Repeat in kitchen and bathroom.

billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:11 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Do both hot and cold at all fixtures, go around and do them all several times, include low point drains and outside shower. You'll find you get more water out as you go from fixture to fixture repeatedly.

For my unit it's kitchen sink, bath sink, toilet, shower, outside shower, low point drains. I also blow through the black water flush. I also siphon remaining water out of water heater with a cheap hand held siphon pump.

I pump pink through too. Don't forget your water pump, make sure it doesn't have water in it. Go by the manual. My manual is poorly written but useful for winterizing.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:18 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Forest Grove , Oregon
To clarify the blow out process for new owners, you do one faucet or drain site at a time. Do not open them all at the same time as you will not have enough air flow to move the water you are trying to move.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:42 PM   #5
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryRI View Post
When you attach to city water on the outside of your trailer you are providing water to the entire plumbing system in the trailer. Both cold and hot water are supplied through the city water connection. There is no "separate" hot water line. Connecting an air hose to the city water connection on the outside of the trailer will allow you to blow air through all the water lines.

As others have said, go to one faucet at a time. Turn the faucet to cold and hot and allow all the water to be blown out. Toilet, toilet spray hose. Indoor water filter tap if you have one. Don't forget the outside faucet if you have one. The outside shower, etc. Be sure to operate the water pump to ensure all the water is removed from that part of the system too. I go around and repeat all of that a second or third time to ensure the lines are clear.

Finally, I open and close the low point drains a time or two while the system is under pressure to ensure the water is out of the lines. After blowing out the lines I leave the low point drains open.

I use propylene glycol anti-freeze in the traps and in the waste tanks.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:51 AM   #6
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Following are two links to my blog where I detail my Winterization Protocol including what I use to accomplish the process. It's really not rocket science.

https://www.marriedwithairstream.com...9-season-ends/

https://www.marriedwithairstream.com...ge-check-list/

Married With Airstream Blog Click Here
Blog Languages: English/French/Spanish
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:32 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Hooper , Utah
Drain your hot water tank first, also remove the plug, and then close the bypass value. Then as everyone else has said, pressurize your whole system through the city water connection. Open the trailer taps one at a time (suggest you repeat each tap several times) until there is no water coming out of either the hot or the cold taps. Pay special attention to the toilet and make sure there is no water there at all. Remember you should have an outside shower to drain as well. I leave the drain plug out of my hot water tank when I store the trailer for the winter.
albret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:43 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
I have been doing the winterizing process since 2007. I have a detailed, step by step, chart that I have made for our 2014, 27ft., FC. Living in northern VT all parts are needed. You can make your own modifications for your make, model, year, AS. If anyone wants a copy email me at: sgraner@aol.com (Yes it's free.)
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:44 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Keep in mind that a few days always below 30 F will do just as much damage as a month below zero.....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:03 PM   #10
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
If you use a blow out plug, the line from the main supply to the water pump will need to be opened so that the trapped water can be blown. That is a good time to run the pump in order to evacuate it. Be sure and open the pump inlet connection so it ca back drain to the fresh water tank.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:39 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Greenbrier , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by albret View Post
Drain your hot water tank first, also remove the plug, and then close the bypass value. Then as everyone else has said, pressurize your whole system through the city water connection. Open the trailer taps one at a time (suggest you repeat each tap several times) until there is no water coming out of either the hot or the cold taps. Pay special attention to the toilet and make sure there is no water there at all. Remember you should have an outside shower to drain as well. I leave the drain plug out of my hot water tank when I store the trailer for the winter.
Is this to say that draining the HW tank is adequate and not necessary to blow it out,,

And yes I’ve learned about the “Pay special attention to the toilet”,,
stkwhittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
blowing out hot water lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by stkwhittler View Post
Is this to say that draining the HW tank is adequate and not necessary to blow it out,,

And yes I’ve learned about the “Pay special attention to the toilet”,,

Blow out everything including the toilet and the water heater. It really doesn’t take anymore time!
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:18 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Keep in mind that there are a number of hot water heaters installed a number of ways in various Airstreams. The manual on your specific model is your friend in this case. If there is a magic drain plug that needs to be pulled in addition to blowing it out .... make sure you pull that plug. I ran into a gentleman at JC who *thought* he had done it all correctly .... not so much. What he was doing worked fine the first two years and failed to do the trick the third year.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:15 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Waterford , New York
I have only been winterizing my Travel Trailer for a few years but I have been winterizing boats for about thirty. It’s your rig and the owner is right by default. Personally I would not be comfortable just blowing down the system. I drain the water tank and drain and bypass the water heater, blow down the system and then use the water pump to pump rv antifreeze thru the system. After
That I antifreeze the traps. Ten minutes extra
Any ten bucks for antifreeze and I sleep better.

Larry1492 is offline   Reply With Quote