Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2014, 04:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Black/grey tank winterizing

Do most folks leave the the black and grey tanks completely dry during winter? I can't remember what I did last year, but I know I have a few gallons in my black tank, no way to dump at home, and I need to winterize before a pretty hard freeze coming next weekend. I thought I read that a freeze wouldn't hurt the heavy tanks??

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrum View Post
Do most folks leave the the black and grey tanks completely dry during winter? I can't remember what I did last year, but I know I have a few gallons in my black tank, no way to dump at home, and I need to winterize before a pretty hard freeze coming next weekend. I thought I read that a freeze wouldn't hurt the heavy tanks??

A freeze will hurt anything that has water in it, unless the water has been treated, or the water is emptied.

If the trailer is plugged into city power, then running the furnace at a temperature of about 50 degrees, will keep the tanks from freezing. But if the coach is not being used, that's a huge waste of LPG.

Installing electric heaters will work, but the furnace fan must run constantly, or else.

Basically, if the coach is not going to be used, then simply drain the black and gray tanks, along with the water tank, and all the water lines, including the water heater and water filter, or remove the filter.

Winterizing is never a bad idea, plus it's a good no charge insurance policy, just in case.

The cost to correct damage from a freeze up in an Airstream, can easily be several thousands of dollars.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I don't know for sure if it could cause a problem as I have always dumped ours each Fall when winterizing, but unless you get several replies assuring that it won't be a problem, then if I were you, I think I would be tempted to just chuck in a couple of gallons of RV antifreeze if only for peace of mind not to have to worry about it! It's only a few bucks a gallon.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:20 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Dump the tanks and save the money you would spend on antifreeze.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Dump the tanks and save the money you would spend on antifreeze.
I may have misunderstood, I thought the OP said he could not dump the tank at home.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
it is the valves and the pipes that go to them that are one of the biggest problems. They will freeze and break the pipes. Dump the tanks. You can use a bucket if at home and dump it into the toilet in the house. But don't leave them with any liquid in them at all.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Use a bucket. X2

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Use a bucket. X2

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
Yup, drain in a bucket and carry in to the toilet. Then put a gallon of AF in the gray and the black tank.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
Oh crap...........

Not the answer I wanted but thanks. Maybe I'll just dump in the storm sewer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1415592305.334007.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	226153

Old 11-09-2014, 09:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It's just poop! Less disgusting than my grandson's diaper, and I have to deal with that from time to time too.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 11-10-2014, 08:32 AM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Maybe I'll just dump in the storm sewer.
Not recommended. Storm drains don't lead to sewer treatment plants, but to a simple discharge.

However, if you have a sewer clean-out plug anywhere at home (most homes do) and it's outdoors rather than in the basement, then you can dump into the cleanout.

As for leaving the liquid in your black tank and adding antifreeze, the temperature rating for the antifreeze is for pure, undiluted antifreeze in copper pipes. Starbrite Brand RV antifreeze published an interesting chart. Seems that antifreeze rated at -50°F doesn't freeze at -50°F, it freezes at +12°F, but it doesn't expand enough to break a copper pipe until it reaches -50°F. In a PVC pipe, undiluted antifreeze rated at -50°F only protects to -10°F because PVC is more brittle and breaks easier under fluid expansion.

Comparing the freezing points of RV antifreeze at different concentrations:
Antifreeze rated at -50°F freezes at +12°F if undiluted, and no better than plain water if diluted at all.
Antifreeze rated at -100°F freezes at -60°F if undiluted, -6°F if diluted at a 2:1 ratio of antifreeze to water, +9°F if diluted 1:1, and same as water if diluted 1:2.
Antifreeze rated at -200°F freezes at -100°F if undiluted, -80°F if diluted 2:1, -28°F if diluted 1:1, and +5°F if diluted 1:2 antifreeze to water.

Until I looked it up, I thought that antifreeze rated at -50°F froze at -50°F, but that's not really the case. Learn something new every day!
Old 11-10-2014, 08:45 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Pro....pretty sure he was making a funny reference to Christmas Vacation.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:49 AM   #13

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
It's Monday. I'm at work. I work for the Federal Government. Three things in a row that virtually guarantee that I don't get jokes at the moment.

But you have to admit, my later stuff about the freezing point of RV antifreeze was interesting… Maybe not actually useful, but interesting.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:52 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
But you're like....what 2 months from retirement???? So, your Monday, Fed reference have no credence!

The at work part...I'll only give you room for lack of "investment" and "distraction" and "joyous anxiousness and excitement".

Old 11-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #15

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
But you're like....what 2 months from retirement???? So, your Monday, Fed reference have no credence!
Until I'm actually out the door, they expect me to carry on as if I'll be here forever. They want to get all the work they can out of me while they've still got me. To which my standard response is, "I'll still give 110% at work, same as always. Except now it's just 22% per day, five days a week!"
Old 11-10-2014, 09:10 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Uh huh, My suspicion exactly!

Old 11-10-2014, 06:14 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:

Yep......it was a joke although I will admit things often sound funnier in my head than they do to other people.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 11-10-2014, 06:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Yep......it was a joke although I will admit things often sound funnier in my head than they do to other people.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Dangers of communicating and understanding on the net...Lord knows, I've been caught up in that many times.