Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Battery Recharge

OK. Stupid question from a new and "electronically challenged" 'Streamer. We have covered storage for trailer here in Colorado, and it has power available. The owner's manual describes the "kill" switch and its function, but it is fuzzy on whether the batteries charge or discharge with which switch position. I have been advised to get a trickle charger, plug it in to the external power, and hok it up to one of the batteries. Obviously the switch would need to be in the "store" position. Since everyone around us in the storage complex simply has the external power plugged into their coach, won't that be even better? If so, should the switch be in the "use" or "store" position? Dana, the New Guy.
CLDuthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
If you're on shore power, you really don't have to worry about using the store switch at all....do you?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
The 'use/store' switch operates a 12VDC solenoid that will disconnect your battery bank from the trailer's 12VDC electrical system AND converter/charger when in the 'store' position. If you are connected to shore power, the indicator light at the switch is on regardless of it's position, requiring you to SET the switch at the desired position BEFORE you plug in.

If you will be storing the rig with power available, you should position the switch to 'USE' so that the batteries will be receiving the charge voltage from the converter...........A WORD OF WARNING HERE...........if you have the stock converter, leaving it connected to your batteries will quickly burn out the batteries as it is a single stage charger, not a 'smart' 3-stage unit.

There are numerous threads dealing with this topic, which you should checks out. You can also PM me if you have any other questions. There are also other options available for battery storage and maintenance.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
I think he is asking that if he doesn't have shore power but just storing with batteries and a 110 volt outlet at his storage unit, should he get a trickle charger to top off the batteries while at his storage unit.

We have 110 outlets at my storage place and I got a battery minder trickle charger to keep my batts topped off while in storage during the summer. Worked great! I have another post up right now as to whether i can leave them in my AS and continue to use that charger in winter or whether i need to pull them and charge in my garage due to temps.
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
BatteryMinder 12248 would be my device of choice for maintaining your trailer batteries. No need to remove them, just be sure to isolate the batteries by removing the negative cable that feeds into the trailer. Also, the temperature sensor is a must in winter weather, as it reads the battery ambient temperatures and adjusts the charging voltage accordingly.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote