Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2019, 12:51 PM   #61
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Stillwater , Minnesota
It may be easier to temporarily raise the whole car port up

I was thinking like those pop up event tents where you raise one leg, secure it, raise another, secure it, ... maybe like a trailer tongue Jack on each leg but your take off the wheel and bolt it to the concrete.
Ddobier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:10 PM   #62
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Can't go higher? Excavate! I would remove 3 ft and pour a 6 inch slab and retaining wall with steps where and as needed. If you can't grade it for runoff a sump pump might be needed. I would also play the Jimi Hendrix rendition of the national anthem every morning within local ordinance.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:10 PM   #63

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Or dig two trenches a little wider than the tires at tire width and learn to backup really well.

They only need to be as long as it takes to get the high point past the low point?

And send your neighbor monthly reminders of how much he can sell his place for and buy desert land outside of Area 51.

Thanks,
Matti

Opps I see someone beat me to this idea, so make this a second.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:35 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
San Anselmo , California
Why not modify the carport into a house extension? Would adding a large "music" room for example be possible? Then just drive in, and slide a facade front closed ;>)
ondaroadagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:20 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
Montrose , Colorado
I would add a vertical post 1 ft left of you utility trailer shown in your photo.
Then cut out the header and replace it with a structural 2” tube at roof height to support the load of the roof.
Then install a metal fascia that could be removed when parking your new airstream.
Bob 😎
Bob 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:27 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 Argosy 24
1977 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
1974 20' Argosy 20
Red Banks , Mississippi
maybe sell me your existing AC for a good price and buy a low profile one......Then let a few pounds of air out of your tires!
memguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:31 PM   #67
Mike&Sal

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Charles Town , West Virginia
Small hatch in front facing

I noticed while visiting the North Texas Airstream Community (NTAC) that many of the garages had a removable access panel at the top of the garage door that opened up an extra 12” or more for the full width of the trailer. The panel would be removed, the trailer backed into the garage with ample space for the height of the trailer, and one in, the panel is replaced. The garages of this type at NTAC were mor like carports with doors that opened out and not up. If you this kind of cover,, you might be able to build such an access panel in your garage similar to NTAC.
Mike L
wymal123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:06 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Lakeland , Florida
Move or buy a pop Up!
mike28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:29 PM   #69
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Miami , Florida
We have the same problem, the inexpensive carports and shelters are too low to clear the a/c. I am in an urban situation with little space. I would love to see Airstream relocate the a/c to a compartment on the side and provide space for a generator also. Then you could really boondock!
nduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:06 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
If you solve it ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	67DEF182-C3DF-45B2-A9E3-F75698EA59C8.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	348810

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:57 PM   #71
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Slidell , Louisiana
Back it into carport to the air conditioner. Build or buy a portable carport cover to cover the remainder of AS. Attached the bottom of portable carport to some fixed or removable mounting bracket on bottom of AS instead of letting it set on driveway. Your AS will be covered and no modification made to carport. The portable carport is not touching ground and is part of AS. It would require replacing the tarp fabric when it wore out
Gulfbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:55 AM   #72
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Glen Mills , Pennsylvania
All of the options are expensive, but given your situation, I would consider a modification to raise the front of the carport temporarily using hydraulics. You only need it to go up while you go in/out, and it sounds like you are ok otherwise.

That said, for all the options posed here, how many months of storage elsewhere would they be equivalent to? Not sure about your area, but there are options for covered storage around many areas that might be reasonable. As a bonus, you gain a spot under your carport.

Best of luck
Fawudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:35 AM   #73
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
Not sure how much property you have, but you could just park your AS uncovered. It is designed to be exposed to the weather. If you keep it waxed and seal seams/rivets annually, it will be good for years. In the mean time you can examine storage options in detail and still enjoy the AS!!
Good luck and safe travels!! Jim
MAJORJDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:55 AM   #74
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
1) split the front beam into two beams. One can be temporarily removed to provide full height. The second beam would be sistered to the cutout one to provide the normal strength.

2) don't have a roof AC.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:16 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Back up really fast...
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #76
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
[QUOTE=I'm seriously considering a Flying Cloud 25FB. I see that the overall height with the A/C is 9'9" tall.
My wife says that if we pull the trigger, the trailer needs to fit under the carport.[/QUOTE]

After reading all the suggestions I think you might be able to accomplish your goal by both modifying the legs of the carport in order to raise the roof while moving in the trailer, and perhaps by using a set of wheel skates. Of course if you’re able to fit it in without the skates it would be an easier transition. Too bad Airstream doesn’t have the option of a mini-split AC, this is the direction I’d pursue. If you find you do need the skates, I’d suggest this design:

Carol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9CB9BC25-042B-4D19-9D2C-68DC2730F6F7.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	349003  
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:41 PM   #77
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Caravel
Dallas , tx
Thanks for all the great suggestions. We have also started looking at some Bambi trailers. We see that they are 9' 3" tall. With the carport at 9' 1", we may be able to let the air out of the tires and back it in.

The other idea was reading up on people who have installed mini-split units in their trailer.

Still keep looking at how we could hydraulically lift the top.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:15 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in TX View Post
Thanks for all the great suggestions. We have also started looking at some Bambi trailers. We see that they are 9' 3" tall. With the carport at 9' 1", we may be able to let the air out of the tires and back it in.

The other idea was reading up on people who have installed mini-split units in their trailer.

Still keep looking at how we could hydraulically lift the top.
JASONINTX - How much do you want to spend to do this? Roofs are hydraulically lifted for temporary ingress/egress methodall the time. But you already said the carport can not be modified - to quote you "carport is a fixed part of the equation. No raising, modifying, etc" & "neighbor prevents me from modifying the carport."

So go below ground level. Either way you go, it is an expensive proposition. I had to raise my garage header awhile back to fit my 9' 8" AS Interstate Sprinter van and it was a 5-figure job even with some labor done my me. I had other reasons why the expense was justified, i.e. part of a bigger extension to rear of garage. But if its just to store my AI, I would not do it again . I would just find suitable off site storage if I want it fully enclosed. Where I am, they cost $250 for a 12x30 with 10ft overhead door opening.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:31 PM   #79
Streamline64

Vintage Kin Owner
Grass Valley , California
Carport vs Trailer Cover

Buy a good quality Cover for your trailer and just park it on the side yard in view of the "neighbor".

I bought a very nice Classic Accessories cover for a 26' vintage Streamline travel trailer. It looks nice, has a side entry zipper flap for entry door access, and keeps the weather off and out of the trailer, successfully now for over three years. I recommend them. Their prices are reasonable, and they sell via Amazon, too.

Then you have no fussing with raising or lowering anything, and you and your wife can put the cover on or take it off, as needed for traveling!
I suggest however, making sure rodent entry points are closed underneath the trailer once parked. That may be another strike against lowering the trailer vs. covering it. Lower = accessible to rodents, too.
tommydSL64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:49 PM   #80
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Dig trenches for the wheels.

You could easily get six inches down and it wouldn't alter the exterior appearance of the carport. You don't even need to go all the way back... just far enough for wherever the wheels will rest when the trailer is all the way in.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote