Old 10-22-2005, 03:09 PM   #15

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishInn
Should one remove the water filter cartidge?
I do.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 05:37 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

My owner's manual says to.

Old 10-22-2005, 05:39 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Machine
You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
Sorry JCanavera, I tried.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:55 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
, OH
compressed air to winterize

using compressed air can hurt the toilet valve if not held open while compressed air enters system. beware.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I successfully winterized my new Airstream for the first time last night on the fly...

had not planned to this year - instead just run furnace on the occassional cold snaps...but furnace has developed a problem with the electrical board and we are in a cold snap right now down to the teens at night even down here in Alabama..

So I got a bit paranoid and went out and bought 3 gallons of the prestone pink stuff...figured out how to use the existing incoming line to the pump and get it out and use it...will be ordering the valve kit TODAY to make this quicker...

drained all low point drains (5 on my trailer believe it or not), pumped out any residual water using water pump, emptied water from holding tanks, closed them...then sucked in the pink stuff, then opened up each faucet, shower, ran toilet, and dont forget outdoor shower...then filled the traps, turned off pump...have left off intake hose and will await my winterizing kit to quickly install for easy use.

I used this winter season already quite a bit of propane due to a good number of cold snaps such that I could have paid to winterize 4 or 5 times and we are still in winter...

I did not put any in the fresh tank and I bypassed the hot water heater...

It was really very very easy once I got the intake line out (a PITA in the tight spot where the water pump is located)...it will be extremely easy next time with winterizing kit installed.

And it just gave me the warm and fuzzy feeling of safety from any freezing damage and also that I did not have to run my furnace...oh and it is broken at the moment anyway (pending electrical board replacement very soon)

I had a buddy who owns a white box camper, who has had his stored for a while now this winter season, and told me alls he did was open the low point drains....no antifreeze in traps, no air to blow out lines....

I fear he IS going to have damage....

took me 2 gallons (thats 10 bucks) and a half hour (will take me 10 min or less next time....and what is the downside?

Actually that was my reason for searching the forums today to see if having this stuff in the lines only (not in hot water heater or fresh tank) would have taste concerns etc? As far as I read through the threads it easily is flushed out and all is back to square one...except for the 10 bucks and the 10 minutes to get the job done...

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:06 PM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Actually that was my reason for searching the forums today to see if having this stuff in the lines only (not in hot water heater or fresh tank) would have taste concerns etc? As far as I read through the threads it easily is flushed out and all is back to square one...except for the 10 bucks and the 10 minutes to get the job done...
When you un-winterize is a good time to disinfect your freshwater tank and lines, so after you flush the pink stuff out, you'll be putting chlorinated water in. That should kill any antifreeze taste that remains.

Not that it's a problem even if you don't disinfect. Metal plumbing components don't absorb taste or odors, and as for the plastic components, food-grade plastic IS food-grade partly because it doesn't absorb taste or odor (and partly because it doesn't leach chemicals, either). It's chemically inert.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:31 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
The procedure for draining and blowing lines seems much more cumbersome - this was easy - thanks for the tip protagonist

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote