Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2007, 01:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Am I spending my $ wisely

I would really like to hear from some of you that have owned Airstreams for a long time. I'm paying $1,500 per year to store my AS in a completely enclosed garage. No heat or air, just dry storage. I know what the elements can do to anything outside but in 10 years I will spend $15,000 on storage not including rent increases. I can't imagine I would spend half that much in repairs if it just sat out in the open, but being new to all of this I really don't know. Any opinions?

Thanks

Greg
Roadtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:20 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Recoating the exterior of your trailer will be at least $3000, you will probably have to do this at least once in that time if it is outside.
Tires will deteriorate faster, rubber gaskets and seals will deteriorate, and probably need replacement, seams can leak, causing interior damage.
Fabrics will fade,, plastics will get brittle.
It may not cost $15,000, but at least in our area, outside storage is $700 a year. In the sun. That would be $7,000 over 10 years, and you will most likely avoid $8,000 in weather damage keeping it indoors.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:27 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
Weather...

Hail damage is veerrrryy expensive. Dents cannot be pulled from aluminum very well. Sure wish we had indoor storage!

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:34 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
do what you want

$125 a month is not bad for inclosed where I'm at you pay that for open storage. inside you don't have the damage you get by out side sun light.If you look at it as in 10 years paying that amount. just think of what it would cost outside in damages. use your own judgement on this.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:36 PM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I'm stored inside at this point but after 3 years of outside storage I've had to replace a skylight, and the air conditioner shroud has cracked due to UV. In my part of the country hail is always a danger so count yourself lucky to be inside. While it's not cheap, consider your time and effort in fixing things that fail due to exposure to the elements along with the component costs themselves.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
If you consider the present cost of Airstreams - and what they might cost in the future - it may be reasonable to assume that you'll recoup a good portion, if not "all," of your storage costs if you sell the unit in 10 years. The superior condition it would be in would have to fetch a premium price.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:06 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Hi Greg,
All above points are very good I would add that first your storage cost seem very reasonable compared to Phoenix.. I pay $152/ mo for covered (not enclosed) storage, indoor would be nice. Second you own a $75,000+ brand new trailer. If you ever want to sell or trade you are more likely to hold a higher value if she still looks brand new. Last if you want a way to write it off buy a small building charge others for storage and take a nice business deduction...It will cost a lot more than $1500/ year but it’s an option.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Greg -

I just visited my trailer earlier today where we pay about $200 per month for inside storage.

We had 2 other traivel trailers before getting an Airstream. We had stored those trailers both inside and out. I believe that inside storage provides, among other things, a bit more peace of mind. For me that's priceless.

You can do all the mental gymnastics that you want on the numbers (I have a couple professional financial certifications, and an advanced degree in finance, so I'm reasonably good with that type of thing), but they're not going to be worth any more than the guestimates that you or I'd have to make in arriving at a conclusion (for example: Are we going to have a hail storm, tornado or hurricane this year?).

And in the end, I think it just comes down to how well you can sleep at night based on where your trailer is stored. Are you going to be concerned about somebody vandalizing or stealing your unit, or having the guy next to you back his truck into the side of your trailer, etc.. etc.

I cleaned and waxed the roof on my trailer today. It doesn't get very dirty over the winter being stored inside, and I can get up on the top without being concerned with the rain, wind or sun. What's that worth?

We're considering renting a considerably larger inside storage unit next year, with heat, electric, water and even an electric garage door opener.
Who knows, on one of those days when my wife and I are having a disagreement, I might even consider moving in there. One saved marriage for the price of inside storage. What's that going to be worth?

John
Old 04-03-2007, 02:15 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I hear ya on the costs. As folks have pointed out, repairs due to mother nature also aren't cheap and Airstreams can't just be brought to the local body shop for repair.

Consider taking that money and investing it in property where you can build some storage structure. Then, you can not only not watch the money burning in front of you, but you'll be appreciating every day.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
I'm feeling better

I just needed someone to tell me I wasn't throwing hard earned money away. Although trading is not likely, had you asked me a year ago would I own an expensive RV, the answer would have been NO! I must admit it is nice to not worry about hail and the sun and had not considered leaking seams, etc. I am actually looking at buying and/or renting a building and renting spaces to others (as a banker I analyze everything to death) Totally enclosed storage is hard to find around here and the demand for partially enclosed is high.

Thanks to all who responded, I really appreciate it.

Greg
Roadtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:05 PM   #11
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
ptrvr,

I'd have a hard time paying much for inside storage - although I do have an open shed to keep mine in. After all, traveling is truly wear and tear.

However, if you want to always keep it looking new, store it but be sure to go look at it every now and again.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:38 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Desert Hot Springs , California
More information

ptrvr,
May we add, Ours is in open storage. We had a heavy wind storm and a very large tree branch split off of it's trunk and slid down the side of our new AS. Minimum damage, after all it is an AS...but we have a few small scratches down the side...would rather not have that...
John
skyvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
On the other side of the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrvr
I just needed someone to tell me I wasn't throwing hard earned money away. Although trading is not likely, had you asked me a year ago would I own an expensive RV, the answer would have been NO! I must admit it is nice to not worry about hail and the sun and had not considered leaking seams, etc. I am actually looking at buying and/or renting a building and renting spaces to others (as a banker I analyze everything to death) Totally enclosed storage is hard to find around here and the demand for partially enclosed is high.

Thanks to all who responded, I really appreciate it.

Greg
Hi, now I will give you a different perspective; "As a banker", you are useing what I call the "Dream Wheel Theory". At $1,500.00 per year equaling $15,000.00 for ten years? In reality, I would increase that figuer by 10% per year. [rent goes up] Might reach $3,000.00 a year by then. Am I saying not to do it; No, but be more realistic.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
My initial reaction was "That's nuts, you're better off spending the money on repairs." My first reaction is not always my best.
But after reading other well thought out posts, I think you may be doing the right thing, as long as you can handle the monthly $$.
I love the varied viewpoints we get here.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 01:33 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Storage cast vs distance

Inside storage is very worth while. I like it not only for the protection but it is easier to work on when I am replacing the worn parts. I get my storage real cheap, in a farm machine shed. The drawback is it is 50 miles away. I just make sure I have everything I need when I go to work on it. When you get away and into rural areas you can sometimes find storage for a couple of hundred a year.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 03:48 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Out here they have prefab metal car ports for under $1000 installed. I know they make bigger.

How bought a fabric RV cover? Anybody tried them.

My 2 Airstreams are early 70's and I have not yet refinished the exterior. Right now I figure 35+ outside, I can wait a little more. When (if) I get around to refinishing the skin I will probably think different.

As mentioned above hail is my big fear. There can be some doozies in these parts.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:04 PM   #17

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I say, it's worth it. Our Lucy is currently stored outside @ $60/mo. I'm planning to build a builg to put Lucy in loater this year.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 05:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I pay about $125 a month for a 30 x 10 x 10 private garage at a storage facility about 5 miles away. Other owners can't ding my Airstream and mice are a minimal issue (or readily controlled). Resale isn't my principal concern -- the appearance will please me in 10 years because it will not have had all the sun and weather exposure. Clearcoat can only be aided in this setting.

BTW -- Covenants prevent me from considering the easy option of storing it alongside my house. I have been able to park it in my driveway before and after without complaints. Our owner association is weak -- only 4 members. I'd still spring for a shed if my situation were different.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote