Old 12-31-2007, 03:19 PM   #15
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
We are supposed to get down into the 20's tomorrow night so I will "re-winterize" ours tonight. Last year and this past fall that consisted of blowing out the water pipes, draining the fresh water tank, draining the hot water heater, and leaving the furnace set on 45F with the cabinet doors open and pink anti-freeze in the traps. We are going to the Can Opener Rally this weekend so I wouldn't want to do anything I would have to undo Thursday night when it won't get so cold and we are arriving after 12:00 PM on Friday so I certainly don't want to undo it then.

BTW, how do you read that gas valve thingie to tell if there is gas in the LP tanks? It was green with both valves open when we went to Florida the weekend before Christmas, but I'm not sure if I was reading it right.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:24 PM   #16
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
in any case, after I added the water heater bypass, and the "winterizing kit", it takes less than 10 minutes, and about 1.5 gallons of antifreeze to fill everything....including the pump.
I can just imagine setting up camp and getting ready to make my first picture of iced-tea with pink water....euwwwe!

And I know I'd forget to purge the system before we left and there are many things this southern boy can do without on a camping trip, but iced-tea ain't one of 'em!

Fortunately, we don't get all that cold here.

WBCCI# 4821
Old 12-31-2007, 04:24 PM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate

BTW, how do you read that gas valve thingie to tell if there is gas in the LP tanks? It was green with both valves open when we went to Florida the weekend before Christmas, but I'm not sure if I was reading it right.
Well there are two ways to check the gas if your trailer is like mine. First the systems monitor panel can give you a level of each tank. Also each tank should have an actual gauge on it up at the top. The green thingie tells you the gas flow state of the tank that you are or were operating on. There is a little flip lever by the thingie that points to the tank that the indicator reflects. Once it turns red, it means that the regulator has switched over to the other tank. At that point you flip the lever so it points to the opposite tank. The thingie will now turn green.

Obviously if you only run with one tank open. The indicator will turn solid red when the tank empties. You will technically be out of gas and will need to turn on the other tank and flip the lever. Normally I only run with one tank open, until we get down close to empty.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:29 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrapapa

Now it is forecast to drop to minus 10 F. Am I stupid to think that I am OK without antifreeze? Feel free to be blunt, because I can still mend my ways.
You could get one of the little electric "cube heaters" or other type of small portable electric heaters and put it inside the trailer on the coldest nights. Open up all of the cabinets to allow the heat to get to the pipes.

I became a fan of RV antifreeze after using the compressor "blow out" method and having my Moen $$$$ kitchen fawcet and my Moen $$$$ shower regulator freeze up and break.

But, by all means, get some antifreeze and pour it down the sink drains, the shower drain, and into the toilet. Also, remember that holding tanks with liquid in them could also freeze and break if exposed to enough cold.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrapapa

Am I stupid to think that I am OK without antifreeze? Feel free to be blunt, because I can still mend my ways.
Stupid? Maybe not.

A bit foolish? More likely.

It only takes 10-15 minutes, and 1-1 1/2 gal of antifreeze pumped throughout the system, poured into the traps, and filters, showerheads, batteries etc, removed to be on the safe side.

So for less than $5 bucks and a half hour you get to sleep at night. And that's priceless to me.

I'd never even think of keeping my trailer stored inside over the winter in southwest MT the way your keeping yours.

But, maybe unlike John HD, you won't get tired of fixing faucets.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:13 AM   #20
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Well there are two ways to check the gas if your trailer is like mine. First the systems monitor panel can give you a level of each tank. Also each tank should have an actual gauge on it up at the top. The green thingie tells you the gas flow state of the tank that you are or were operating on. There is a little flip lever by the thingie that points to the tank that the indicator reflects. Once it turns red, it means that the regulator has switched over to the other tank. At that point you flip the lever so it points to the opposite tank. The thingie will now turn green.

Obviously if you only run with one tank open. The indicator will turn solid red when the tank empties. You will technically be out of gas and will need to turn on the other tank and flip the lever. Normally I only run with one tank open, until we get down close to empty.

Jack
Thanks Jack. My monitor panel doesn't do the gas tanks. I guess you are talking about the black lever when you say to flip the lever so it points to the opposite tank? I originally thought that flipped automatically but I found mine to be really hard to flip so I flipped it manually when my first tank ran out last winter and I opened the other valve. This year I got a little squeamish and was afraid that the one tank would run out and I would forget to switch them before a cold spell and now they are both open. Last night we got down to 21F (that's 20 degrees colder than the night before) and tonight we are supposed to get down to 17F and by the next night we won't hit freezing and by the weekend we will be above 40F at night. That's the way our weather is here. Not too much cold and not too often so it's easy to forget to check on the gas and it's easy for it to run just a little at a time until it runs out. We can camp year 'round here so it's hard to justify winterizing.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 01-02-2008, 11:51 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
We can camp year 'round here so it's hard to justify winterizing.
Here in sunny CA I tend to have that same viewpoint as well.... last year I was repairing leaks in the copper (replacing with PEX) as a result. FWIW
Old 01-02-2008, 12:07 PM   #22
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I had the furnace set on 40F and went inside yesterday (upper-40's) and turned it up to 45F. I noticed it didn't come on. The interior temp, despite being a very windy day, was 51F. I also have all the cabinet doors open and there is a vent in bathroom.

WBCCI# 4821