Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2018, 07:52 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Airstream Storage Idea

I’ve been contemplating putting up a garage for storing AS. However the cost is high. So I went on line and found these portable storage type tents to put RV’s in. One company can custom make them. The cost would be about 1/10th of a garage. I wouldn’t need a building permit. I wouldn’t have to pay property taxes or insurance on it. And it is one way to get the AS out of the weather and sun. I already have a spot on my lot to do it that I prepared for a garage last fall.

Anyone do something similar and what is your experience with this?
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:57 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
That sounds like a good idea. Please share a link or a band name so that we can see what you are talking about.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
https://www.ecanopy.com/rv---camper-...m=May-789-2237

Here’s an example. Can’t find the site I did last night. The one I found they would custom make them for your set up. And no tools to set up. Looked pretty slick.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Those are quite popular here in Arizona also. Although the weather does wreak havoc on them here. Two of the online sources that we have looked at are:

Creative Shelters
and
Yuma Bargain Wharehouse

Both places allow you to measure, fit and decide whether or not you want sidewalls and then you just order the pieces. Essentially it's piping and a tarp. At the Creative Shelter site you can design your own structure. Count up how many pipes you need and what size and then just buy the tarp from them. You can then source your piping locally versus paying for shipping. When your tarping gets tattered by the wind you will have a place to get another tarp and just reuse your piping.

We intend to get round flat foot pieces for the piping so that we can put several cinder blocks on top and the foot will hold it down on the ground for on the occasions when we get excessive wind

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:25 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Elk Rapids , Michigan
Lots of companies make fabric buildings, here's another one.

https://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplie...e_storage.html

I would make sure whatever you go with that it's rated for the snowfall in your area, also wind load.

Definitely costs less than building a pole barn. But, you still may face resistance from neighbors depending on where you live. And, you'll never be able to heat it for winter projects.

If you have the space and money I would definitely check into pole barn costs, it might be less than you think.
matthewsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I priced out pole barns and the cost is still about that of a garage. Also I live in the country so neighbors aren’t a problem. The biggest issue for me is that I know (since I am an appraiser) that I will automatically take a value hit of about $10,000 verses cost if I put up a pole barn or another garage. I already have a 3 car garage and after 3 cars value diminishes significantly. $10,000 pays for lots of storage over the years.

My biggest concern with these is wind. However I’m in a very protected spot with trees around me. And the snow shouldn’t be a problem since it should roll right off with a rounded fabric or metal top.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:36 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Elk Rapids , Michigan
Would have never thought a barn would reduce the property value....

You are correct that $10k will buy many years of indoor storage. As your trailer is a lot newer than mine perhaps room for projects isn't important. I work on lots of stuff and miss the shop/barn I had when I sold my business.

If you get a good fabric building you should be fine for your purpose. I would go with an outfit that services farmers, they tend to get their money's worth

Cheers,

John
matthewsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I am also surprised that an extra garage or barn or outbuilding would affect value. When we went to our larger property we actually did lose a garage. Even though it's a large two-car garage we would love to have our third car garage back. We hope to build a large detached garage in the future.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
I am also surprised that an extra garage or barn or outbuilding would affect value. When we went to our larger property we actually did lose a garage. Even though it's a large two-car garage we would love to have our third car garage back. We hope to build a large detached garage in the future.
Ok. Lots of you will wonder about value as related to garages, because I stated that if I build a garage for 20,000 I would lose about 10,000 in value (or only gain about 10,000 in market value). As a professional appraiser I have studied this for 20 years. But here is the fact. Beyond a 3 car garage extra buildings diminish in dollar market value. It is the principal called the “law of diminishing marginal utility.” That is to say at some point the “typical” person is not willing to pay the same amount for an amenity. Why? Because they don’t get the same utility out of a 4th car stall as they do the first 2. The “typical” person doesn’t need it.

In appraisal language we call this an “over improvement” for the market. Everyday I come across a person that has over built their property with amenities that the “typical” person doesn’t want. And they get angry when others don’t have the same perception of value. Yes they perceive value, but the key is the “typical” person may not! And the “typical” person drives the market value of items.

So to all my AS friends please understand that if you spend a ton of money to build that beautiful storage area for your Airstream, that it will probably not be an investment for which you will get your money back at resale. Just saying.

Thus this is why I am looking for a way to store my AS without going too much in the hole financially. But I also want to be wise. I don’t want to use something which could result in an unwanted issue.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:18 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Our homes are where we live the “dash” part that eventually gets put on our tombstones. Just because you don’t get the dollars back out doesn’t mean it’s not a good idea. Homes aren’t investments although people often treat them that way. They are places we make our lives and if they hold their value or go up, then all the better. Having the trailer at your home vs somewhere else based on recouping the investment doesn’t make sense to me. The trailer, TV, barn and everything else we own is depreciable. Just something to think about.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamCSH View Post
Our homes are where we live the “dash” part that eventually gets put on our tombstones. Just because you don’t get the dollars back out doesn’t mean it’s not a good idea. Homes aren’t investments although people often treat them that way. They are places we make our lives and if they hold their value or go up, then all the better. Having the trailer at your home vs somewhere else based on recouping the investment doesn’t make sense to me. The trailer, TV, barn and everything else we own is depreciable. Just something to think about.
Hey, I bought a very expensive RV that depreciates. So I'm not worried about taking it with me.

However, at any point and time there is a chance one could move. I can take the AS to my next location. Not the $25,000 garage. I used to build houses, and I always heard the phrase, "Well this is our last house, so we'll just build it without considering resale." Then about 5 years later something happens, they have to sell it, and they can't get what the want for to move to the next place.

There is such a thing as minimizing the loss. I don't want to be like the guy in my area who built a $7 million house only to get 3.5 million back 5 years later. That's just wasteful.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:26 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Dungville next to Donkeytown , Alabama
Twenty large is a lot for a pole barn! We paid 4K for ours thru a local contractor and it’s rated for Fl hurricane winds. After spending a chunk on the AS and a ton of extras,4K seemed prudent.

You had me down as a damsel?
Darling, I'm the wolf.
Joannadannna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:54 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
If you’re in the country, a modest pole barn might not be a bad investment. I’ve got about 4K into a 28’ x 44’ barn that I built myself. Dirt floor still, but a good dry place to keep the AS. A future owner can keep animals in it like I did at first, or lots of other non-travel trailer uses. My concern with the shelter canopies is needing to replace the tarp over the years, but everyone has different needs. Good luck with whatever you decide!!!
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:04 PM   #14
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
We see the carport style metal structures for prices that appear to be quite competitive.

http://americancarportsinc.com/wp-co...n-Carports.pdf

If I had a lot in the country, I would look into a pair of 40 ft containers with a roof structure that was supported by them.

If I had a lot in a residential area, I would look into building a garage with a second floor appartment that could be used as a granny cottage, a man cave, a rental, or the kid's halfway house.

If I lived in an area where bad weather was expected, the structure might have a storm shelter, either armored or under ground and maybe a wine celler to add some high end interest at time of sale.

Me thinks a tent is short sighted, but your budget, your home and your choice. Good Luck with your research. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:04 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
I have one of the canvas tents and going on 3 years with nary a problem for $500 delivered. Been through several nor’easters and two decent snowfalls over 2’. For the price, I can afford to do this every 5 years and still be ahead. Not pretty but it is functional.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I finally settled on a 16x36 garage with 14’ side walls. In April we had 30 inches of wet snow. Also I have decided to insulate and heat it. That way I can dewinterize in March and not have to worry about freeze ups.