Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2008, 08:12 AM   #1
tinhutjohn

1974 29' Ambassador
London , Ontario
5V Crimp

I know this is sort of off topic, but I thought I’d ask due to the extended amount of life experience and bloody mindedness that exists in this group.
Has anyone ever built a deck with a roof made out of 5V Crimp metal roofing to sit beside your Airstream? For a number of reasons, we have decided to park the International and were going to put in a deck with a roof made out of sheet steel or aluminum. Anyone ever done this? Any photos of what you did? Looking for design ideas and for comment on using aluminum or steel roofing.
Thanks.
See you on the roof.
Sarge
Logan the Large hairy Golden Retriever

It's a monocoque thing
You wouldn't understand

tinhutjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:23 AM   #2
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
I have built several large buildings using steel roof panels. They are screwed to wooden longerons with metal screws with rubber washers. You can get material to trim the cornors and eves and facia and make them look quite nice. Come in many colors as well.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Over the years I've seen many at lakes and remote areas where folks have a semi permanent spot for their trailer. For the most part they include a cover for the roof of the RV to extend it's life as well. The ones that appear to have stood the test of time are the metal sheeted roofs. Not sure if I've seen any that are aluminum.

Barry
Old 01-03-2008, 11:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Considering the potential for snow load or hail damage in London Ontairio CAnada, I would not consider the use of aluminum advisable for nearly horizontal surfaces such as a roof. Go to your local Morton or other pole barn builders and see what they are using. You may be able to buy supplies and design directly from them cheaper and safer than trying to reinvent the wheel.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Tampa , Florida
Metal Roofing Types...

5V-Crimp is a "style" of metal roofing. Most in the roof industry consider 5v to be the bottom of the barrel in metal roof panel profiles. That said, however does not mean it is not a good roofing material. It has been available for decades as "tin" roofing. The tin roof was usually a reference to the different iterations of steel 5v-crimp galvanized or otherwise. The popular version today is the Galvalume. This has an aluminum finish that is baked on. Installation is also fairly simple. I put a 5v galvalume roof on my house without any prior experience in installing metal roofs and that was the same summer that Tampa endured three hurricanes. I have had no proplems with my install or the material. It is now my roof material of choice. We used it here at our office for our car sheds and I am having put on a daycare center I am currently working on in downtown Tampa. Architects like its durability and the "industrial" look it can give a building. It also lends itself to more traditional building styles as well.
Southeastern metals is a good source here in the south, but I'm not sure about a local supplier for Ontario.
Pm me if you need any design suggestions or have detailing questions.

Brent

1949 Spartan Mansion (30')
at_wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:09 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
How about a small open pole barn...roof the whole thing...and have a cemnt/roofed patio in the deal?
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Galvalume

While SOB is under it right now this is a Galvalume roof cost $1.85 ft.

It is fairly light and easy to work with if no wind. My big problem was the sun heating the panels up to the point they were to hot to handle when installing.
Got around that by starting at daybreak and finish up around noon.

I built this 14 X 50 by myself a few years ago took afew weeks to complete.

Garry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7 30 06 004.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	51873  
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Look for "seconds"

Here is what I did - total cost was less than $6,000 - labor and materials. 16' X 52' X 14' clear (16' to Top Of Steel).

6" X 6" "W" beam for the uprights, open joists salvaged from a supermarket being torn down. "Z" and "C" purlins and "R" panels from the "seconds" pile (mostly scratches in the paint or off color panels). Uprights were set in 3' X 3' X 3' holes (with slab base to prevent punch through) and then concrete poured in the holes.

I did the welding myself.

Leave as much "overhang" around all four sides as you can to prevent sun, rain, and snow from contacting the aluminum.
Attached Images

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
If someone is building a big wal-mart or home depot or other big building near you, they usually have cut off ends of the roof decking. 22 or 16 gage stuff usually, would work great for a porch. The cut offs are usually just dumped in the dumpster by the decking crew. Make friends with the decking crew and they might load you up with more than you can carry. The decking comes in bunks of 20 or 30 or so, they cut the whole bunk to the length they need on the last row or odd shape. #10 sheet metal screws might work for you to hold it on your porch frame. I'm doing roof deck welding inspection this week on a Home Depot here, the deck crew came Monday from Texas, they say they need to be on another job in San Francisco Monday.
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote