Old 02-10-2019, 05:47 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Poulsbo , WA
Ok -- both were already all the way out. I only know that because I turned them all the way in and nothing happened -- then back out.

wandered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
2019 PacNW Snomagheddon: unwinterized Safari 25SS

Yes - the 2 metal valves are low point drains for the hot and cold fresh water.

The white one is for draining the fresh water tank. Open that up to see if there is any fresh water in the holding tank.

What I do is blow out the system by hooking up my air compressor to the fresh water city inlet on the driver / stream side. Youíll need a special fitting for that. 60psi. Let pressure build up then open one faucet until only air comes out, then close it, let pressure build back up, and move to the next faucet. Once all the faucets are done repeat the procedure with the low point drains.

Once everything is blowing out you can then fill the fresh after system with RV antifreeze (optional) - you can buy it from an RV store or Walmart. Itís food-safe pink RV specific antifreeze for fresh water systems - itís not what you would put in your car radiator - stay away from the automotive department

You can buy a little adapter hose and connect it to your water pump - which is located in the hallway under the storage compartment street side... then stuck the hose into the bottle of RV antifreeze, turn in the pump and then open each faucet one at a time until the pink stuff comes out. Make sure to turn off the hot water valve for the hot water heater - otherwise it will suck up 6 gallons!

wulfraat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:57 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Poulsbo , WA
All fixture valves are open in trailer. So, maybe I'm good...

On the power note, that's so good to know. I tried hooking up to shore power with the old adapter they gave me. It worked at their house. When I did it, It quickly popped my 15A house breaker. At the trailer, Something smelled burnt. The adapter, cord, and external outlet box on trailer are all aged and burnt. I'm replacing it all to be safe. I already installed a 30A box in garage and wired it -- waiting for the other end...The 10-2 cable going to inside junction box is not easy to get to, but I'd like to pull some slack to trim off the stressed copper, or replace if needed.

To all the "RTM" folks, I get it. Unfortunately, as a ex-Navy ET, I expect diagrams, schematics, and IPB's. This owners manual is "ok" but not tech worthy. Instead, I have a bunch of vague words telling me to do something to a part that I have no idea where it resides.

Thank you for this forum and YouTube!!
Old 02-10-2019, 06:01 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Poulsbo , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Yes - the 2 metal valves are low point drains for the hot and cold fresh water.

The white one is for draining the fresh water tank. Open that up to see if there is any fresh water in the holding tank.

What I do is blow out the system by hooking up my air compressor to the fresh water city inlet on the driver / stream side. Youíll need a special fitting for that.

Once everything is blowing out you can then fill the fresh after system with RV antifreeze - you can buy it from an RV store or Walmart. Itís food-safe pink RV specific antifreeze for fresh water systems - itís not what you would put in your car

You can buy a little adapter hose and connect it to your water pump - which is located in the hallway under the storage compartment street side... then stuck the hose into the bottle of RV antifreeze, turn in the pump and then open each faucet one at a time until the pink stuff comes out. Make sure to turn off the hot water valve for the hot water heater - otherwise it will suck up 6 gallons!
Thank you wulfraat -- I just bought air compressor adapter and ready for that step. Really appreciate the help!
Old 02-10-2019, 06:03 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
You bet - congrats and happy trails ahead!
wulfraat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:11 PM   #20
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Congratulations, we love our SS. It is a very functional floor plan. Don't get too hung up on the led tank indicators.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:37 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
Well I also have not winterized (never do up here in Snoqualmie Wa.), just keep heaters on when cold. We seem to have someone over every few weeks so we just keep it up and running. This will be the coldest year so far with my AS but still no signs of leaks. I do throw a gallon of antifreeze in the sink, shower, toilet and bathroom sink. I queried the mechanics at our NW dealer several years ago during one of the seminars and they agreed that in Seattle area they don't see a need for winterizing - but then again it has been getting pretty cold out. Hopefully we both will not have any problems (but at least put some Antifreeze in).
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Poulsbo , WA
Excellent advice, Anders79; thank you and good luck, as well!
Old 02-11-2019, 12:23 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
If you have shore power, and don't want to winterize, these small 120-volt Dampp Chasers are great to put into remote locations where the risk of a freeze-up is highest. They have a low wattage draw, and keep the trailer nice and dry. Originally designed to keep pianos from absorbing too much humidity, they are very handy:

https://www.amazon.com/Dampp-Chaser-...=Dampp+chasers

Lengths of 2' 3' and 4'. Our local hardware store carries them.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:03 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders79 View Post
. . .
. . . I queried the mechanics at our NW dealer several years ago during one of the seminars and they agreed that in Seattle area they don't see a need for winterizing - but then again it has been getting pretty cold out.
. . .
Looks like the Seattle area had some overnight lows of 21 F a few days ago . . . hope everyone made out OK.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:32 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Poulsbo , WA
Thanks Peter -- we got a record snowfall for February -- over 20"!

With some warmer temps and rain yesterday, we seem to be cleared for work (but not school).

Trailer seems good -- space heaters still running. I finally got power to trailer but it stalls at breaker box. GFCI doesn't trip on test AND I think the converter is bad. Good times.

The kids next door have been loving the sledding!
Old 02-18-2019, 12:34 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Friday Harbor , Washington
San Juan Islander

As usual the Airstreamers come to the rescue. Just for one more way forward story. Our weather is more or less same as yours. I have never done the full Monty. I live full time in my AS. When away in winter, I leave two space heaters on low, open the cabinet doors, and have a plugged in electric blanket near water heater. All blinds are closed to retain modest warmth. I am hoping snow didn't damage awning. Hopefully we will get a final report from you. Good wishes.

Rob Cope is offline   Reply With Quote