Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2017, 08:51 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Fanwood , New Jersey
2016 FC23D WH tank drain

I practiced the routine today, and I encountered a couple of difficulties:

WH drain plug is very hard to get to. It seems I need a wrench that can fit 1" or 15/16" hex but not too big so that it can turn in the confined space. How do people do this?

I had opened low point drain a few days ago, and when I opened the pressure relief valve on the WH, the water came out from the low point drain. At that moment, I hadn't been able to turn the drain plug. But when I did successfully open the drain plug, nothing came out of it.

I'm thinking that because my trailer is parked on a slope with its nose up, most of the water in the WH tank had already drained from the low point drain.

If so, I'm thinking that maybe I don't even have to open the drain plug as long as I open the pressure relief valve AND keep the low point drain open for a few days to drain the water.

Am I right?
Atsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
To remove the WH plug from my 2017 FC 26U I use a deep 15/16" socket with an extension on my 1/2" drive ratchet. Plug access is easy this way. The low point drain you mention will probably work, too, as long as you vent by opening a hot water faucet somewhere or the pressure relief valve.

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:11 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Plainfield , Illinois
Hot water heater drain plug

I have a 25RB International and the water heater plug was blocked by one of the LP lines so I could not fit a socket even with a swivel into the location. There fore I used a 15/16 open ended wrench which has the correct angle to fit behind the line and it worked very well. I also heard to leave the plug out until spring. Close the bypass first, open the pressure relief valve, some water came out. Then remove the plug and stand aside because my drained a couple of gallons I would guess.
jjgoodie8 is offline   Reply With Quote